SUNBEAM S8

This looks really good to me. Always surprised by the genuine interest an old bike like this can create in all of us. I once owned a 500 Matchless, seeing this makes me yearn for another one. Best of luck with your project Smudge and please keep the updates coming

Calling 'The smudger'.......Sorry to be impatient, just wondering if She was up and running yet ?...:nenau :)

Calling 'The smudger'.......Sorry to be impatient, just wondering if She was up and running yet ?...:nenau :)

Not yet, cold evenings and busy weekends have kept me out of the garage...

So far,

New plugs, removed distributor and cleaned points, compression and cylinder leakage test, all OK.

The wiring harness is vey poor, loads of bare wires... I have ordered a new harness (£50) and the plan is to stick it on this weekend, then i may be able to start it....

Heres the latest.

It was such a lovely day today I just had to roll her out at do a bit of 'fettling'.

I removed the Carburettor and managed to get the lower part off, replacing the gasket. I have now completely stripped the carb, new washers and a good clean up.

Managed to get the cork (at least I think it was) around the frame spine where the wiring clips were. I'll fit the clips back using the foam Stewarts sent me.

Here it is before,

And after,

So I then set about removing the harness. I took some good advice from some 'beam' experts, photographed all the closed in stuff before, removed the electrics box (it was filthy anyway), and removed the old harness. It was in a right old state, lots of bare wire, and but the look of a lot of it the bike had had an earth problem, lots of the insulation was brittle and melted...

So I gave the boxes a good clean up and fitted the harness up in the house, the missus was out so I made good use of the kitchen table. I 'tinned' the bare wires with solder, and used Vaseline in the joints. It all went together quite well except I noticed there were 2 extra wires on the old harness, that were not on the new one.

Heres a teaser for you all.

On the back of the CVC I noticed there were 2 eyed connections apart from the 4 main ones. This looked odd as there were what looked like painted on letters. It looks like the coil on the right had an issue, and has been very rudely re-wound???

I spoke to a mate as I couldn't understand what these 2 extra wires were. There was an extra switch on the bars, which discussing with him we thought that this was an addition to the charging system put in because there was a fault with it??? Looking at the switch it was connected to the generator light, you can see the connector in one of the pics below, so must have been some sort of switch in the charging system???

On closer inspection the CVC has definately been 'interfered' with. There is something odd around the windings on the right, and these extra connectors have definately (albeit well) fitted as some sort of extra???

Any thoughts anyone????

I removed the distributor once more and cleaned up inside. I was surprised to find the baseplate came off really easily. I removed the points, condenser, and the baseplate screws, gently pulling the baseplate up from 2 sides it came off! All looked good inside, weights and springs cleaned up then rebuilt.

I will resume tomorrow...

The old KLG site is now an asda. :( They developed and made the spark plugs for the concord engines. No, don't ask me i haven't a clue.

I've got a couple of brand new KLG plugs somewhere, my neighbours husband used to work for them and when he died and she cleaned out his shed she gave them to me for using on my bikes. :D

Stewarts engineering used to be in Putney.

Wasn't the old KLG building Art Deco???

Sunbeam

Hi Smudger. I've had a S8 since 1969 so I just about know my way around it now!!!!!!, any problems or advice drop me a line willing to help out.

Cheers

Barry G

Hi Smudger. I've had a S8 since 1969 so I just about know my way around it now!!!!!!, any problems or advice drop me a line willing to help out.

Cheers

Barry G

Thanks Barry, dont suppose you have a spare 6v CVC regulator you want to sell? I need one! I can buy one from Holdens for 36 quid, but thought id ask here first incase anyone has one lurking...

The old KLG site is now an asda. :( They developed and made the spark plugs for the concord engines. No, don't ask me i haven't a clue.

I've got a couple of brand new KLG plugs somewhere, my neighbours husband used to work for them and when he died and she cleaned out his shed she gave them to me for using on my bikes. :D

Stewarts engineering used to be in Putney.

Is that a great big art deco building?

think I may have passed that a few times!

Well..........................

Its running!!!!!

After being asleep for 40 odd years, the Beam started today. It was down to the fact that i went on a vintage bike run today, i was following a lovely old Velo, on my tiger thinking it must be lovely to be on an old bike like that other than on a boring modern machine so that inspired me.

Done a few more standard checks, charged the battery and after an monumental fucking 'kicking' effort between me and my mate, she started!!!!!

40 odd years of cobwebs blew out, lovely bubbly!!!!

Just uploading the footage now.

Well..........................

Its running!!!!!

After being asleep for 40 odd years, the Beam started today. It was down to the fact that i went on a vintage bike run today, i was following a lovely old Velo, on my tiger thinking it must be lovely to be on an old bike like that other than on a boring modern machine so that inspired me.

Done a few more standard checks, charged the battery and after an monumental fucking 'kicking' effort between me and my mate, she started!!!!!

40 odd years of cobwebs blew out, lovely bubbly!!!!

i was following a lovely old Velo, on my tiger thinking it must be lovely to be on an old bike like that .

I've just taken delivery of a lovely old velo, it don't run, after being restored it started and died and never ran again and was just left covered up for a long time after my father became ill, I'm going to get it running and use it .
fe7252f0ed23a4d08609559fcd14ce33.jpg

I love the bit on the video where your lady psays , tell you what I leave you the camera give me a call when its running! Class, and well done for the persistant tag team kicking.

Back
Top Bottom