Thread: Suspension leak?

New Member (less than 15 Posts)

Suspension leak?

New to the site and new to GS ownership! Bought an Adventure yesterday (13 hrs round trip) and got home late yesterday. The bike had just been MOT'd and I noticed that there was an advisory for 'misting' on the rear shock. I had a closer look last night when I was home and again today after the bike had been strapped down and I noticed residue/oil on the rear shock strut. The bike had been sat in storage since November 2013 and has literally gone no where. My pal works for the RAC and he took a look this morning and asked if the bike had been sat a while, he thinks this is the reason and I should leave it for a while to let it settle down to see if it clears. I can get the shock rebuilt at Firefox racing in Leeds who do the ESA builds but its £200 + removal costs. What do you think? This could be a very pricey 24hrs hours of ownership....Could the bike being sat for this long cause the oil to show on the strut before clearing?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Give MCT Suspension a call. I've just had my 2010 ESA GSA rear suspension unit reconditioned by them. Around £100. Removing the unit yourself is not a big job and then send it off to them.
    2010 R1200 GS Adventure

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malvern_Beemer View Post
    Give MCT Suspension a call. I've just had my 2010 ESA GSA rear suspension unit reconditioned by them. Around £100. Removing the unit yourself is not a big job and then send it off to them.
    Excellent thank you!! Ive called them and its going down next Tuesday!! Nice guy, very helpful. Firefox Racing were twice the price for essentially the same thing!!

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Suspension leak?

The OEM shocks are sealed for life but life can be 3K to 30K miles. I would get it rebuilt anyway... and the front while at it.
    Every 15K is recommended by most suspension service agents.
    Consider it a service item. With regular rebuilds they will go on and on.
    Have I done this? No, because I was hoping to fit Wilbers units. However if money runs out my neglect is likely to hit me with a bigger repair bill.
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750

Quote Originally Posted by Malvern_Beemer View Post
    Is there any special magic you need to work taking a ESA shock in our out to stop it f*cking up the system? Cheers.