Help & Advise PMR Radios

Tony Smith

de-Smiffy
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have been using both Motorola and Midland radios for bike to bike communications in conjunction with my Auto-com system.

These are VERY simple to use, changing channel is very straight forward and they work well with other radios.

I have a icom IC-F22SR radio and I am struggling to understand how to communicate with my friends Midland and Motorola's. First off it has no LED screen like the other.

It has a channel selector with 16 positions rather than the LED I am use to.

It is a free of user-licence, with all 8 PMR channels. It is a private radio and on the auto-scan channel on 16 I can pick up the other radio transmissions.

I have read the manual, but I am struggling to understand it.

Does anyone have any experience of setting one up to transmit and receive along side the Midland and Motorola?

Can any one offer any help or advice?

Cheers,
Tony.

Hi Tony

Although the Icom has 16 channels the frequency's and side tones may be different, I have Kenwood a mate has an ICom and another uses midlands, there is only one Chanel out of the 16 we can all use together, as factory settings. We ended up putting a list from all 3 radios together to compare settings. Or you retune a channel on each radio to match?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's disappointing news, I have tuned channel 7 on the Midland to my icom, however, I have to keep pushing the Moni Squelch function in order to receive signals from the Midland.

It sounds like the Kenwood's and icom's are different from the Midland's and Motorola's, but are all private PMR's using the 8 PMR channels?

Reading the manual, it looks like you can find other frequencies on channel 16 from other PMR's and lock them in?

What channel did you find works on all three?

Anyone else have any experience with these?

Smiffy.

Smiffy

I have an excel spreadsheet somewhere with all the frequencies on it I will see if I can load it on here when I get home tonight (if I’m sober, its month end pay day and Friday).

That would be really very kind of you.

I'll PM you with my email address.

I get pissed ever Friday, I like it, but it is an issue.

Smiffy.

I have to keep pushing the Moni Squelch function in order to receive signals from the Midland. Smiffy.

That'll be the CTSS tones (privacy) not matching and so not opening the squelch on the Rx. radio meaning you cant hear it although the radio is receiving the transmission; you can usually programme those as well as the frequency.

I have received the Spreadsheet thank you, I'll try to get my head around it when I have a quiet moment, I am very grateful to you.

Thanks for the copy of the manual and in particular page 14 Aberdeen Angus, I have a manual, the issue for me is not understanding it.

I need to get my head around the CTCSS.

I am sure that I will, but at this time I am struggling to grasp the point, do you understand it at all, do you have any experience using an icom to transmit and receive with other manufacturers PMR's? If so, would you be willing to have a phone conversation to help me move forward?

Thanks everyone.

Cheers,
Smiffy.

Just think of the CTCSS as a phone number if you don't dial in to the same number you won't get through. So assigning the same CTCSS to the same channel of different radios allows you to call each other as long as you all have the same number. By using CTCSS added on to the frequency you create a sub channel from one of the main licence free PMR frequencies.

The terminology might not be correct but that's how I understand it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smiffy

I have an excel spreadsheet somewhere with all the frequencies on it I will see if I can load it on here when I get home tonight (if I’m sober, its month end pay day and Friday).

Ooh now that sounds very useful. I'm just trying to get my head around matching both channels and sub-channels so if you wouldn't mind sharing with me too I'd be most grateful :beerjug:

Hi guys wondered if I can jump in on this please as I think you may be able to help.
My mate has a Kenwood TK 3301 same as mine, I can hear him fine but he can't hear me.
My radio shows red light when I speak and green when he speaks but when I speak to him he gets red & green light flashing.
I've checked the manual but it doesn't mention this so I'm at a loss as to what's happening.
Both radios on same channel, tone etc but just doesn't seem to work through the bike/headset, radios by themselves not connected to Autocom are crystal clear.
Tried swapping cables etc but no luck so far, just wondered if anyone else had come across this problem.
Many thanks
JJ

Hi guys wondered if I can jump in on this please as I think you may be able to help.
My mate has a Kenwood TK 3301 same as mine, I can hear him fine but he can't hear me.
My radio shows red light when I speak and green when he speaks but when I speak to him he gets red & green light flashing.
I've checked the manual but it doesn't mention this so I'm at a loss as to what's happening.
Both radios on same channel, tone etc but just doesn't seem to work through the bike/headset, radios by themselves not connected to Autocom are crystal clear.
Tried swapping cables etc but no luck so far, just wondered if anyone else had come across this problem.
Many thanks
JJ

the problem here lies with the autocom connection , I had a similar issue and contacted Sam At Chainspeed , he told me its the red PTT button , so i took the Ptt unit apart cleaned it up with wd 40 etc and re fitted it , seemed to work fine, then Sam told me he has a new PTT red button that he is going to send me and he did , never had a problem since. The new red Ptt is a fraction longer than the older one and connects better to the component on the inside of the housing

Thanks for the response. I don't have ptt and my mate has disconnected his to try and eliminate it from the equation.
We've tried all sorts, it's getting desperate as we're off to Wales next week for a jolly.
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom