Bluetooth solution for your 2610 or 2720 Garmin (how to) to a Sena 5 comms set up

Dusty

Reaction score
Right so I did a search for this and found that it had been discussed but no follow up. With me pending trip abroad I thought that I would explore the possiblities, so here's my working solution using a 2720 GPS and a Senna 5 bluetooth helmet comms kit.

(I apologise if this has already been covered)

You will need the following:

A blue tooth TRANSMITTER module NOT A RECIEVER (don't ask me how I know) available on ebay for about £12 posted)

A 2.5male jack to 3.5 female jack extension (avaialbe on Ebay for £1.74 posted)

A Garmin GPS 2610 or 2720 or other variant with the Audio out jack plug branch cable.

IMG_0009_zpskiy9h8eq.jpg

Connect the blue tooth dongle using the 2.5mm - 3,5mm jack plug to the audio out plug that is attached to the GPS 12v power lead. (little black box)

Its a simple slider switch followed by a pair of LEDs that flash red and blue until the device is paired then it goes solid blue.

This particualr dongle has a mini USB charging port (lead supplied) and a audio out port.

IMG_0010_zpsspdnszw3.jpg

Close up (what you see is what you get in the kit minus the charging USB lead & the Jack extension is separate

IMG_0011_zpsdfaapbfa.jpg

Close up of the connectivity to the GPS branch cable. I intend to tape and heat shrink the 2.5mm/gps end and leave the 3.5mm loose to connect with.

IMG_0012_zpsi4ehnmrt.jpg

Turn on the Senna module, the voice prompt will say phone connected if your mobile is already set up.

Press the red button for 5secs until there is a toned beep then tap the jogger once.

A voice prompt will say search meda connection or something like that. (make sure you have switched the dongle on and the LED are flashing).

The LED will stop flashing and there will be a single blue LED illuminated.

You will get a voice promt to say device connected or something similar the Senna and the bluetooth dongle are paired.

Turn on the GPS and test the voice prompts by press speak or adjust the volume to test.

NOTE: THIS IS A MONO FEATURE NOT STEREO SO YOU WILL ON HERE THE GPS IN ONE EAR.

IMG_0013_zpswcxqonfq.jpg

It's up to you how you store and waterproof the dongle. I propose to use a pelicase I1010 for an IPOD or a rubber glove and lacky band secured to the fairing or frame.

IMG_0014_zpsmbwtonut.jpg

You can put the Dongle in the case, CONNECT THE INTERNAL JACK PLUG INTO THE AUDIO PORT and close the case, the signal is not affected as the case is plastic.

Connect the GPS jack (with extension) to the outer Audio jack plug as pictured.

IMG_0015_zpsljxojyrs.jpg

What it looks like inside.

I have tested this with my IPOD using the silver back to back jack extension that comes with the dongle and it works an absolute treat IN STEREO. or mount it all in the IPOD case

Once the Dongle is paired to your headset you don't have to keep pairing it unless you zeroise the settings.

I havn' t tested this on any other variation of helmet comms, but the dongle is the standard Bluetooth version 2 me thinks but works with all my blue tooth devices from my samsung tablet and laptop and my work Iphone and galaxy note so it's extremely useful.

I'm happy to answer any questions

Would be great as a sticky me thinks as this gives current users of this series of garmin the ability to continue their love affair WIRELESSLY instead of spending 'undreds on a new GPS.

Regards

Dusty:friday

Hi All,
Anyone interested in doing what Dusty has done with their old non-bluetooth GPS might like to have a look at the Bluetooth upgrade kit we sell -

http://www.ridermount.com/home/categories/gps-audio-2/gps-audio-bluetooth-upgrade/

The bluetooth module is wrapped and waterproofed by us and is supplied with a sprung mounting clip and stereo/charge cables. We use this with GPSaudio.

I tested lots of bluetooth adaptors before choosing this one which works reliably and holds charge for around 11 hours.

Cheers, colin@ridermount.com

Attachments

• btcontentslres.jpg
    btcontentslres.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 625
Hmmm ... Wondering if a BT receiver could be linked to an Autocom hub? Bit cheaper than the proprietary Autocom BT unit.

Back
Top Bottom