dent ride

paul nicholls

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For your Saturday delight.
Im willing to lead a rideout on the Saturday of the Dent weekend.
I live very local so Know the area quite well.
Im thing of a north of English counties tour.
It will be on a combination of remote high fell remote single lane roads and some faster stretches.
One small section of very easy unmade road.
We will pass through Yorkshire, County Durham, Weardale, Teasdale, Northumberland and Cumbria.
The ride also takes in part of Hadrians wall.
There will be a couple of coffee breaks and a short lunch stop.
As for the drop off thing, I tend to like a simplified version as I'm easily confused.
Basically, don,t make a turn until you know the person behind you has seen you.
Not sure on exact distance but would guess at around 250 miles ish,
I'll be doing the ride before hand so will put up exact mileage.
You will be out all day and see some of the best and quietest roads the area has to offer.

If the weather is good on the Sunday and if enough people want, Ill do a ride upto St Mary's Loch
via the Samyeling Monistary.

Paul.

Bollox....stuck myself + mate down for the 21 dales run, but I do like the sound of this run muchly........will this be a pootle, or more of a 'spirited' ride?

pootle

It would be better suited to those who can make progress.
But, I would not want to exclude people, just means slower folk have shorter fag and coffee breaks.

OK Paul......put me down as a def maybe ;), and my mate can check out both ride blurbs & see which one he fancies....:thumb2

As for the drop off thing, I tend to like a simplified version as I'm easily confused.

Paul.

Good one Paul :thumb

That is my chosen way of doing a ride out, but you really need to know those you're riding with, and while you might think the guy coming up behind has seen you, so you set off, sometimes they haven't seen you ... and the ride out from there on goes to pot :blast

Don't ask me how I know :D:D

:beerjug:

drop off

Point taken Micky, the county may be full of lost tossers trying to find their way back to Dent.
I will make sure all the people on my ride are briefed on what to do at junctions plus I should have a mate doing tec.
Paul.

Good one Paul :thumb

That is my chosen way of doing a ride out, but you really need to know those you're riding with, and while you might think the guy coming up behind has seen you, so you set off, sometimes they haven't seen you ... and the ride out from there on goes to pot :blast

Don't ask me how I know :D:D

:beerjug:

Ain't that the truth, last year I was tec along with Bounce on a great ride organised by Dr Alf, we managed to lose two, possibly three riders between us, on one occasion I watched the bike in front go straight on at a tee junction where there was clearly a bike waiting on the junction to show a turn.:rolleyes:

Ain't that the truth, last year I was tec along with Bounce on a great ride organised by Dr Alf, we managed to lose two, possibly three riders between us, on one occasion I watched the bike in front go straight on at a tee junction where there was clearly a bike waiting on the junction to show a turn.:rolleyes:

If they'd have kept up, we wouldn't have lost em.....;)

northern counties.

Not many takers so far, so in an attempt to drum up business .
I was out the other day to measure distances etc and came across some
belting roads so have decided to modify my route.
Now, the route still takes in Yorkshire, Teasdale, Weardale, Northumberland and Cumbria.
All on the most scenic roads the area has to offer.
Some single lanes over high and remote areas which are mostly traffic free.
Some really fast stretches with amazing and challenging twisties and stretches where 40mph will seem fast.
There is a ford, lead mines, Hadrians Wall and an optional 5mile stretch of great offroadness
The off road is easy and if dry is fine for road tyres,
However, It is not compulsory for every one to do it, just take the road and meet at the other end.
So if you fancy a challenging route made for the GS this is it.
I've reduced the distance to about 150 miles (ish) to allow time to savour the scenery and cake.
I'm not too worried on numbers, but in order to make it worth while, do at least need some!
In order to make your decision easier I'm willing to do it on the Saturday or Sunday or both if enough interest.
In the interest of health and safety a chaotic form of the drop off system involving us all getting lost and confused and a tail end Andy will be used.
All cafes and cake stops have been tested thoroughly in advance and have all passed the test with top marks.
Paul.

What time are you likely to set off? I'm not sure if I will be able to camp for the weekend so I may only be able to come up for a full day. I just hope I can get my old clunker R100GS sorted in time.

What time are you likely to set off? I'm not sure if I will be able to camp for the weekend so I may only be able to come up for a full day. I just hope I can get my old clunker R100GS sorted in time.
Prob looking at no later than 10am.

Or attach a giant piece of chalk to your bike so it leaves a continuous mark on the road.

(Bet you glad I'm not going :D)

Or attach a giant piece of chalk to your bike so it leaves a continuous mark on the road.

(Bet you glad I'm not going :D)
Eaux quantraux Rodney, sound like you could been fun to splash in in the mud with.

I'm up for that, I'll be trying to get a few shots on the camera, so the shorter route might allow that, count me in

QUOTE=paul nicholls;4074916]Not many takers so far, so in an attempt to drum up business .
I was out the other day to measure distances etc and came across some
belting roads so have decided to modify my route.
Now, the route still takes in Yorkshire, Teasdale, Weardale, Northumberland and Cumbria.
All on the most scenic roads the area has to offer.
Some single lanes over high and remote areas which are mostly traffic free.
Some really fast stretches with amazing and challenging twisties and stretches where 40mph will seem fast.
There is a ford, lead mines, Hadrians Wall and an optional 5mile stretch of great offroadness
The off road is easy and if dry is fine for road tyres,
However, It is not compulsory for every one to do it, just take the road and meet at the other end.
So if you fancy a challenging route made for the GS this is it.
I've reduced the distance to about 150 miles (ish) to allow time to savour the scenery and cake.
I'm not too worried on numbers, but in order to make it worth while, do at least need some!
In order to make your decision easier I'm willing to do it on the Saturday or Sunday or both if enough interest.
In the interest of health and safety a chaotic form of the drop off system involving us all getting lost and confused and a tail end Andy will be used.
All cafes and cake stops have been tested thoroughly in advance and have all passed the test with top marks.
Paul.[/QUOTE]

Signed up with JB for the Saturday but I fancy this on Sunday if you do it.

Back
Top Bottom