Wanted: Recommendation for somewhere to spend a few days in August

Hildasay

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Due to my husband's new job we're a bit restricted as to when we can take joint holidays this year. We'll be going to the Isle of Man for the Ariel Owners Club Rally (they've said I'll be welcome with my GS :thumb) at the beginning of August and are looking to spend a few days somewhere nice between Heysham and Aberdeen on the way back. We're not very familiar with anywhere South of the Scottish Central Belt but have liked what we have seen of North Yorkshire and Northumberland when passing through.
Can anyone recommend somewhere in that general area? Ideally a small town or village that won't be too overrun at that time of year, a nice pub, good biking roads, nice accommodation (hotel or B&B as I suspect self-catering will mostly be Sat-Sat only).
Many thanks for any suggestions!
Birgit

P.S. Will be posting similar in the Scotland section as Southern Scotland is also a possibility.

Anywhere on the Northumberland coast, the whole area is not only beautiful but there's lots to see and visit.

You are welcome to stay at mine, it's not in the country but a good base to do some very nice runs, your bike will safe in the workshop, if I'm available at that time I could show uses some nice roads.

the area around Twiced Brewed is nice - I've stayed in Haltwhistle a few times but the B&B owners I used have retired. There's a couple of hotels in town.

East of Heysham at the southern end of the area you have specified in North Yorkshire is Malham. http://listerarms.co.uk/ is a nice pub with an excellent restaurant and plenty of good roads in the area.

I would stay away from the busier coastal towns and villages as they will be heaving at that time of the year and look for somewhere a few miles off the coast or on the A68, A697 corridor or Kielder area.

Avoid the Blyth, Newbiggin, Ashington areas if you want your bike to there in the morning

Many thanks for the suggestions and thank you Kevin for your kind offer. We are going to Rothbury.
Cheers,
Birgit

if your in Rothbury then make some time to visist Cragside house just on the outskirts, a very fine historical building........

a good way to spend an afternoon

Will do - I've read about that.

Thanks for the tip,
Birgit

Back
Top Bottom