Garmin Maps update

Indeed :)

So, I plug in my 660 and Garmin Express tells me that the update is there and will take approx 4 hrs to download. 2 minutes or so into the download it stops and says there was an error.

I tried again, a few times and get the same message.

I phoned Garmin Support who tell me to 'remove my device' from Garmin Express and then uninstall / reinstall Garmin Express which I did.

No joy, still the same issue.

Garmin Support have gone home now. Has anybody had the same issue? Any ideas as to what I could do to sort the problem??

Andres

It took me three attempts to get it going...it just kept freezing, no error message though. So just cancelled it down and started again.

Eventually it started as it should.

The problem may be that the new maps are 9MB and the BMW Nav 5/Zumo660 only has 8mb (or is it GB?) of internal memory, so The new Euro Maps will no longer fit!

One reason I upgraded from my perfectly good Zumo 550 was to be able to have all the Euro maps in the internal memory and avoid fannying around with downloading the maps twice.

Not impressed with Garmin.

Dave

The new maps (2015.40) downloaded on to my Nav V without any problems.

Bob

surely the maps will only update the changes if you already have a set? Rather poor computing abilities used by Garmin if not

The problem is usually Garmin's servers, I'm told.
The servers aren't able to cope with the download demand for all the updates especially in the first few days of a release.
It seems to be a problem which afflicts Europe more than the Merkins across the pond.

I also suspect it's high demand on Garmin servers. My Zumo 590 and the wife's 660 updated fine, albeit a bit slower than normal.

Mine installed pretty quickly (thanks to 70MB fibre) but the new version of Garmin express no longer installed the update onto my 'puter just the 660. A quick check and this now appears to only be a 1 time option at 1st install of the map onto device, you have to select as an option so miss it and its gone.. fekkas ......

A quick check and this now appears to only be a 1 time option at 1st install of the map onto device, you have to select as an option so miss it and its gone.. fekkas ......

Just checked and that's not the case that you can't get the option back if you didn't select it during the update. I updated my 660 and 590 this morning. Just plugged it back in, gone to Update tab and clicked "Reinstall maps" then on the next screen click "Advanced Options" and then select "Device & Computer"

Attachments

• Reinstall maps.jpg
    Reinstall maps.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,471
Just checked and that's not the case that you can't get the option back if you didn't select it during the update. I updated my 660 and 590 this morning. Just plugged it back in, gone to Update tab and clicked "Reinstall maps" then on the next screen click "Advanced Options" and then select "Device & Computer"

The screenshot you show is not of the latest version of Garmin Express, it is the earlier version. IainMac's post was referring to what happens with the latest version of Express.

The screenshot you show is not of the latest version of Garmin Express, it is the earlier version. IainMac's post was referring to what happens with the latest version of Express.

I see that now. I'd only downloaded express about lunchtime today so thought it was the latest version. It's just updated to the latest version now and I saw the reinstall option now no longer allows you to choose device and computer. I checked Garmin's website and it confirms it:

"NOTE: maps cannot currently be installed to the computer if the map update has already been successfully installed to the device. This feature is only available on the initial installation attempt."

Seems like a major step backwards to me!

Garmin Map Update is much better than Garmin Express. Much more reliable.

Edit: looks like this is no longer available for download

Dave

Indeed :)

So, I plug in my 660 and Garmin Express tells me that the update is there and will take approx 4 hrs to download. 2 minutes or so into the download it stops and says there was an error.

I tried again, a few times and get the same message.

I phoned Garmin Support who tell me to 'remove my device' from Garmin Express and then uninstall / reinstall Garmin Express which I did.

No joy, still the same issue.

Garmin Support have gone home now. Has anybody had the same issue? Any ideas as to what I could do to sort the problem??

Andres

Andres, one thing to consider is the size of the SD card, the latest update won't fit on a 4gb card, I had this problem and you don't get any message to say the card isn't big enough things just freeze (4gb was the standard card supplied with my 660 so it may be worth checking). What's really annoying is that it was only a few kb too large to fit. I've stuck a 16gb high speed card in mine and all is now as it should be :thumb

Dave

Garmin seem to be determined to make their whole kit so un user friendly, I am getting pissed off with all their crap....I can't update and have to select dis-jointed bits and pieces of Europe in order to fit it into the only 18 month old inadequate equipment that they produce...the new Tom Tom rider is looking more and more attractive..

........ one thing to consider is the size of the SD card, the latest update won't fit on a 4gb card, I had this problem and you don't get any message .....

Dave

The British Isles and selected parts of Europe will fit.
Are you trying to download the whole of Europe, UK, Ireland, etc, on to the 4GB card - as if so, then it certainly won't fit. It was never designed to fit, as such.

Garmin's intention is that you select the areas/countries you frequently use for download only onto the 4GB card.
If you plan an adventure in some other European state, then re-adjust the target downloads.

To recap, there's no point downloading countries and European States you never ride/drive in...

HTH :thumby:

CN2015.4 installed without problems on my Nuvi 2595 and Zumo 350. Did the Zumo on the desktop and the Nuvi on a laptop as I wanted the maps on both computers. All installed without problems. I'll look at the Reinstall option as I've another laptop that might benefit from having the mapping on it.

CN2015.4 installed without problems on my Nuvi 2595 and Zumo 350. Did the Zumo on the desktop and the Nuvi on a laptop as I wanted the maps on both computers. All installed without problems. I'll look at the Reinstall option as I've another laptop that might benefit from having the mapping on it.

If you want to save yourself downloading again on multiple devices use http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html. I use it as I have 3 machines to update. I download and install the maps on one machine then use the above program to copy them to the other 2.

Back
Top Bottom