Dublin norfolk

Comfy Old Boots

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a bit of Info for a trip I'm making next month. Dublin to norfolk in two days and the same back.

The following has been suggested to me as an option

"You could head from Anglesey on the A5 through Snowdonia. Out via Betws–y-Coed. Then head cross country via Wrexham towards the Peak District. Leek, Buxton, Bakewell, Matlock Bath. Then south of Nottingham to Melton Mowberry, Oakham, Stamford. Then out across the fens to Wisbech, Kings Lyn and then to us at Heacham."

I'm just wondering if anyone could help me choose a route through those areas? I'd like a combination of main and minor roads but no motorway if possible and nice gs B roads in the scenic parts.

Cheap clean accommodation suggestions welcome for the Peak District. I'm happy to go the road less traveled in favour of interesting landscaps and photo opportunities!

All comments or suggestions welcome!

Thanks for looking!

Owen.

This may be a more interesting way of heading toward Wrexham as the A5's ok but the good bit is soon over and there's far better roads.

Attachments

• To Wrexham.jpg
    To Wrexham.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 337
Any chance you have a gpx file for that route? Or even a better quality picture?!

Any chance you have a gpx file for that route? Or even a better quality picture?!

Ha I just made it up, took a screen shot then deleted it. I can do it again in a while only takes a minute, I'll need an email address :beerjug:

Just done it again with a few extras ...... don't worry :D and it'll take you to the Horseshoe Pass, a favourite biker cafe as you'll be ready for a brew by then.

EDIT crap screen shot again, even Giles could do better with his camera!!

Attachments

• holyhead wrexham.jpg
    holyhead wrexham.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 302
Might meet you for a coffee Luke.

I bought a Collins Britain road map. Easier to look at!

Just done it again with a few extras ...... don't worry :D and it'll take you to the Horseshoe Pass, a favourite biker cafe as you'll be ready for a brew by then.

EDIT crap screen shot again, even Giles could do better with his camera!!

I can work the shot out with a map. Gives me a better impression of distance...
Thanks for trying!

In terms of GPs on an apple device, Saturday I'm going to try something with the motion x gps app. Allows .gpx import. See what it's like. Might work fine if I can keep a network connection. It might just be money for old rope.

From what I hear, the peak district is very busy during the day, so I think I will stay in and around Leek and leave for the peak district early in the morning...

Any suggestions for a clean, basic room above a pub anywhere in that area? Just looking for a few pints and a bit of grub then an early night...

Don't forget the Anti-depressants if you intend to use the A17 ( which is difficult to avoid)
Some great roads in North Norfolk -Talk to Miff

Thanks for the tips. I might give miff a PM soon.

Cheers.

haha!

I'll be busy doing the family thing whilst in Norfolk so I doubt I'll see too much of it but I might convince herself to set out with me on 'that infernal machine' at some point!

I'm avoiding the A17. I'll be taking the route suggested by my mate

"Oakham, Stamford. Then out across the fens to Wisbech, Kings Lyn and then to us at Heacham"

Looking forward to it now!

haha!

I'll be busy doing the family thing whilst in Norfolk so I doubt I'll see too much of it but I might convince herself to set out with me on 'that infernal machine' at some point!

I'm avoiding the A17. I'll be taking the route suggested by my mate

"Oakham, Stamford. Then out across the fens to Wisbech, Kings Lyn and then to us at Heacham"

Looking forward to it now!

Sounds like a much better plan than the A17,watch those fen roads as they can bite :eek:

Back
Top Bottom