Thread: Stobborn Electrical Problem with BMW F650 Dakar 2002 - Needs Electrical Expert

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Stobborn Electrical Problem with BMW F650 Dakar 2002 - Needs Electrical Expert

Hi,

I spent a considerable amount of time restoring an F650 I took around the world and it looks great and performs very well BUT for one stubborn electrical fault with the lights which flicker at anything above 4,000rpm.... I spent two whole weeks(whilst not working) to try and remedy last Summer and still no resolution. So far I have:

- Replaced the wiring loom
    - Replaced the ignition coil
    - Disconnected the Voltage Rectifier
    - Disconnected the Alternator
    - Run the bike with a different battery
    - Hot wired all switches and sub-looms to ensure no localised faults
    - Replaced the ignition switch
    - Changed the spark plug and cap
    - Disconnected the side-stand & heat sensor plugs on the engine and exhaust

None of these have worked and I really want to ride the bike this year. Does anyone know of a good electrical wiz in my area(Berkshire/Surrey), preferably mobile as the bike is stripped to provide easy access to all wiring. I wouldn't require anything else than the fault being detected and remedied. (i.e. I would re-build it) I am prepared to pay a very good rate for its resolution.

If anybody can help I would be most grateful.

Many Thanks,

Mike

Too old to be young, too young to be old

Current:

BMW F650 Dakar

Previous:

BMW R1150 GSA
    BMW R1100 GS Anniversary
    Yamaha FZR 750 Genesis
    Yamaha FZR 1000 Genesis
    Laverda Mirage 1200 in Mottod Chassis

Have you tried a new bulb or is it all of the bulbs?

Can you run the bike with a bulb connected just a+ and - across the battery. Post above seems to be heading in the right direction JJH