Dynabeads

Bungy

Reaction score
I'm looking at a change of tyres and would like to order and fit myself. Speaking to a friend he mentioned Dynabeads which I haven't heard of before but he swears by them. Are they as good as he says and do people that fit their own tyres use these as a simple way of balancing?

I used them on my 660 Tenere a few times with no issues but don't think you can use them if you have TPS

I cannot imagine why they would not work with TPS, though I do not speak with any authority. I have the dyna beads in my current set of K 60 Scouts, from new, which I fitted myself, difficult to tell the difference they mind have made though, as I didn't run them without them.

There's a long thread about them here from several years back......I think it started as a thread about 4x4s being 'fitted' with them.

Seem like a good idea, but not one that has taken off......TBH I've never bothered because I've rarely even bothered to0 balance my TKCs- the only reason we were looking into them years back was because we were looking at fitting tyres to the Landrover and Landcruiser in Morocco and they seemed a good idea.

Try the advanced search function or a boolean Google search and you should find it :thumb2

I cannot imagine why they would not work with TPS, though I do not speak with any authority. I have the dyna beads in my current set of K 60 Scouts, from new, which I fitted myself, difficult to tell the difference they mind have made though, as I didn't run them without them.

If the TPS system includes any objects protruding into the rim (and I don't know if that's the case) then they are going to get severely battered by the little beads.

Seem like a good idea, but not one that has taken off......TBH I've never bothered because I've rarely even bothered to0 balance my TKCs- the only reason we were looking into them years back was because we were looking at fitting tyres to the Landrover and Landcruiser in Morocco and they seemed a good idea:thumb2

We were talking about it the other day at work and he had fitted them to his classic bike and impressed enough to then put them in his daily commute and K1600.
Do you not bother balancing your TKC's at all as those are the tyres I'll be changing to?

We were talking about it the other day at work and he had fitted them to his classic bike and impressed enough to then put them in his daily commute and K1600.
Do you not bother balancing your TKC's at all as those are the tyres I'll be changing to?

No.....Even if there's a slight vibration at speed after fitting, I've found that they will wear from the outside and balance themselves through that.....the knobbles on a TKC are sharp edged and it takes 200 or so miles for them to smooth off (initially it feels like you're riding on marbles at slow speed), after which I've never felt anything that I could put down to balancing issues.

I'm going to Mitas E07s next and will probably be fitting them myself as I have been with the TKCs- I'll try them first for feel then decide from there.

.....and will probably be fitting them myself as I have been with the TKCs......

Sorry to hijack the thread somewhat but I did a search for tyre fitting and this thread came up.

Bill, may I ask what equipment you use to change your own tyres? I'm thinking of changing my own in future and was wondering what people are using?
Many thanks,
Mick

Sorry to hijack the thread somewhat but I did a search for tyre fitting and this thread came up.

Bill, may I ask what equipment you use to change your own tyres? I'm thinking of changing my own in future and was wondering what people are using?
Many thanks,
Mick

Two long tyre levers, one pair of rim protectors, a large 'g' clamp to break the bead (with a small chock of wood gaffer taped onto the contact pads) and anything slippery that's in liquid form and close to hand (apart from washing up liquid which is too salty so I avoid it....hair shampoo is best because it is very mild)

The single biggest problem people seem to have fitting a tyre is that they don't get the first bead in the well to give them the wiggle room with the second one I.M.E.

Oh, and I have a chunky 12v compressor that's man enough to seat the bead if I'm doing it at home, or a small ratchet strap to go around the circumference of the tyre if away.

Thanks Bill, you've not bothered with the plethora of bead breakers, stands and who knows what else on eBay or Amazon then :)

I got my local tyre centre to put some tyre soap into a jam jar. It lasted me for years and won't corrode the rim. It got lost when I moved house but I get tyres fitted for me these days n
I also use Puncturesafe/Wellseal. Tyre fitters have no problem with it and it seals small punctures before anything nasty can develop.

A garden spade can be used very effectively to break the bead. Some tyres fit very easily without levers and just using the heels of your boots. The secret is to get the fitted part of the tyre well into the well of the rim and to brush tyre bead gell onto the bead and the inner edge of the tyre. I use a rubber mallet to help get the tyre back on. We were always told that it is bad practise to use levers to refit a tyre.

If you are struggling then your technique is wrong. Practise with a mountain bike tyre. The technique is exactly the same and with practise you can easily get a mountain bike tyre on and off without levers. Always start at the valve when removing and finish at the valve when fitting and don't forget to get the section of the tyre that is still on the rim well into the bead.

Back
Top Bottom