Bead breakers / tyre changers ....

Yep - OK Blokes .... Ta ..

(Peter - yes I'm sure you're right about a 'salty' fairy liquid solution and how long it would take to shag your rims ... :thumb2)

I'd love to hear your theory behind that statement?

I have regularly found that a new set of tyres loose a few (only one or two) psi over the first 24 hours. I've always put that down to the bead / soap still being a bit fresh and needing to settle for a day or two .... :nenau

I have regularly found that a new set of tyres loose a few (only one or two) psi over the first 24 hours. I've always put that down to the bead / soap still being a bit fresh and needing to settle for a day or two .... :nenau

Yeah granted but I wouldn't class that as rim leaks, more like settlement. It could even be slight stretch in the tyre under initial pressurisation. If tyre soap is commonly detrimental to the seal of the bead on the rim then I'm sure that every tyre filter the land would NOT use it :nenau

Anyhow, I'm not looking to turn this thread into the usual dick waving competition, my dick is tiny and I'd lose!! :D

Giles,

A 6 lt compressor is plenty. The KTM tubeless donut makes getting the tyre off an 1190 more difficult than normal rims as the well in the centre of the rim is pertially filled by the sealing donut, it's the first time I've needed two levers the get the second bead over the rim in 30 years of changing my own tyres.

Dave

I got a compressor from Toolstation in the end, £99 with a selection of air tools (most of which I'll probably never use ..).

yes, that second bead was what I was struggling with but I seem to have cracked it now ... :thumb2

Three 'changes' in and I've probably saved myself about £90 already ...

A mate has a tyre place and the tyre soap they use helps the tyre on and then sets, effectively sealing the tyre to the rim. Personally I've happily used a very thin smear of fairy when changing tyres at home or on the trail. Never had an issue.

Other thing is for lubrication WD40 or window cleaner works a treat and leaves no residue.

Dave

tyres

Tyre soap dries to a powder if used in large amounts it can cause a rim leak, hence tyre fitters use soapy water. When seating the tyre 60 psi then adjust to correct psi. Tyres should not lose pressure after fitting . as for people forcing it over the rim and fekking the rim they have no technique. You should be able to push the first bead on !

Tyre soap dries to a powder if used in large amounts it can cause a rim leak, hence tyre fitters use soapy water. When seating the tyre 60 psi then adjust to correct psi. Tyres should not lose pressure after fitting . as for people forcing it over the rim and fekking the rim they have no technique. You should be able to push the first bead on !

Hmmmmmm:rolleyes:

Cheap bulk buy hair conditioner - been using it for years.

Also doubles as pre and post shaving gel :thumb2

Don't laugh till you've tried it.

Soooooooo ..........

After denting my rim yesterday I'm inclined to just put it down to bad luck. I certainly hit something that nearly knocked the steering out my hands (tore the tyre and had to plug it and limp home ..)

I'm wondering if 25psi is too low ??

What are you blokes on the bigger cc bikes running youre tyre pressures at ??

(TKC front, Mitas E10 rear)

Also ..... another question. (I am no mechanic and have just learned as I go ...). I cringe undoing my caliper bolts - i can hear the dry squeel of protest when I undo them. I don't put a dab of grease on them 'cos I've sort of been under the impression that there are some threads that you shouldn't grease - like caliper bolts!

Is that right ?? grease or no grease ??

i use copper grease but its best to keep an eye on them, otherwise BLUE thread-lock should keep the water out thus preventing corrosion if you don't like the idea of grease.

Back
Top Bottom