800GS/800GSA seat height

smalleyboy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thinking of getting a F800 for commuting and leaning towards the 800GSA due to the larger tank and screen. My commute is an 80 mile round trip each day and the extra range would reduce the number of times I have to fill up. I looked at a couple of 800GS's today which had the comfort seat option. According to the BMW website this makes the seat 895mm tall. However I was only able to touch the ground on my toes. It wasn't too bad but I don't think i would be happy trying to manoeuvre the bike about much. I'm 5'10 and fairly light (so the bike doesn't sink much when I'm on it) with an inside leg of circa 32". I know the GSA standard seat height is 890mm and there is the low option of 860mm.

I would be interested to hear what seat options people of a similar height to me have opted for.

Thanks chaps

I have a 2010 F800 gs with comfort seat and this bike would make a great commuter, all you would need is a taller screen!. The GSA is much taller im 6 2" and found the GSA tall! Plus the GS will be a lot cheaper (if your on a budget)

Mmmm, I commuted into London from Kent on a F800GS for 4-5 years, and I have to say it is perfect for that (I think mine had the comfort seat which was fine, but the GSA is taller?). My trip was 46 miles a day, and even then I got lazy and found filling up (every 180k) a pain in the arse! I have recently moved to a 1200GSA and love the extra tank range - I go over a week between fill ups. And this week I have the BMW low seat fitted (I'm similar height to you although 13 stone - mainly beer!) and can nearly flat foot with it - I am finding that better for commuting.

I would be tempted to get the GSA for the tank range and a low seat option.

Good luck.

ps and the GSA has the bigger screen - you'll need that too for longer m/way trips

The increased tank size and larger screen means the GSA is looking favourite.

I was wondering if most people can sit on their bikes with both feet flat on the ground of id most just lean the bike slightly to one side and have that foot on the ground?

I was originally going to buy a gsa but was put off by the seat height. I'm 5'9" so I got a gs and put a low seat on it. After 6 months riding I think I should of got the gsa with a low seat. I believe the difference is only 10 mm and you do get more confident the more miles you ride.
I'm not sure but I think the suspension has more give in it now making it feel lower as well.
Both bikes are great but the gsa wins it with the bigger screen and tank.

Have had both the standard F800GS and F800GSA quite a few times as a loan bikes.

For me, a normal 800GS with the GSA screen is high on the list when I come to replace mine as it'd save me quite a bit over the GSA and I don't need the extra ground clearance / "off road" ability (I have a KTM EXC 450 RR for that). However, the extra range on the GSA makes a very strong case for itself. The weather protection from the wider faux tank is also slightly better than the stock GS so that's worth considering on those cold and wet mornings.

The GSA is a bit more of a stretch to the floor and I think I'd probably go with the low seat option if I was getting one myself (also 5' 10"). However, even if you went with the high seat, you can always swap it for a low seat at a later stage if necessary.

GSA is ruled out for me, with only a 30in inside leg, the 800 on standard seat & suspension is my max for comfortable moving around while sat on the bike. Any higher and I am on tiptoes. I would like a comfort seat but the extra height means that is a no go.

It is your inside leg rather than your height that governs what is comfortable.

My advice to you is to stop worrying and get get the 800 GSA if that is the bike you want.
I have a 1200GSA and can't flat foot it (well not both feet at the same time), it's not a big deal. At traffic lights I just rest it on one foot or the other.
When I am parking the bike I do give it a bit of consideration, so that I have an easier time taking off again.
When pushing any bike around you have more control if you are off the bike, so height isn't an issue then either.

There really isn't any problem with the height of the bike, it really is all in the mind. Once you adopt the attitude that it isn't a big deal, it then isn't a big deal!

Thanks guys. You have pretty much confirmed what I thought.

I've got a new 800GSA on order. On my test ride I found the GSA a bit taller than my standard 1200GS but wearing Sidi Adventure boots giving me a good standing platform, height wasn't a problem. I also found the bike was much easier to control and manoeuvre at slow speeds, particularly two up. I really liked the bike, so I'm buying one!

Back
Top Bottom