1st time trip to ireland

Well thanks for all the advice guys.
From what my Dad says, it doesnt matter where we go, we are guaranteed to have a great time.:thumb2
Micky even admitted it's now his favourite destination and has replaced the black forest in Germany :beer::beerjug:

JJH, thanks for the advice to visit Brownehill. will take a look. I was aware that the winter solstice is the main one for Newgrange, but would still like to visit. I've got an interest in neolithic and bronze age monuments :thumb2

Modelman, Twisty roads,Epic scenery,Fantastic Guinness......all would be most welcome. We are totally open to sugestions.
Would be good to do a spot of wild camping

Just my 2 cents but if you like the Neolithic, genuine Neolithic, I'd check out knowth and dowth instead of/as well as newgrange. Their 'unrestored' and as a result might give you a more authentic 'experience'. Newgrange has a fantastic visitor Center and all the amenities but knowth and dowth are pretty much as time and nature has left them. Their just as incomprehensible in their own way.

Whilst the southwest is a jewel, the west has fantastic roads and is just as scenic is a different way. You will have a great time no matter where you go. Just set the gps to no tolls or mitoway and you'll stumble on some superb (gs friendly) roads and stunning scenery. Lots of Guinness too.

We went last year, stayed with wifes relatives near Dublin, then went across to Galway (don't go there when the races are on....quite busy!!!), down the wild coast to Killarney, stayed there a day longer than planned as someone drank more of some black liquid than he should have......Rode round the ring.....the wrong way....
off to Cork for more relatives and then back to Dublin.

We are going again this year, so will visit the relatives again..THEY STARTED ME ON THE BLACK LIQUID!!!!...and then have a tour round again. Not quite sure where yet though, just got a BIG map of Ireland to have a looksee.

And another thing....when you come out of the B & B in Galway, make sure you know where it is before you get on the bus into the town centre and then have absolutely no idea where you are staying!!!!....Luckily I had seen a Jaguar garage, and a nice bus driver had a vague idea where we were staying and told us which bus we should get on!!!

.........And another thing....when you come out of the B & B in Galway, make sure you know where it is before you get on the bus into the town centre and then have absolutely no idea where you are staying!!!!....Luckily I had seen a Jaguar garage, and a nice bus driver had a vague idea where we were staying and told us which bus we should get on!!!

Sure no matter where you go there you are :aidan

I've just spent the last 40 minutes or so google mapping / you tubing etc etc. That Wild Atlantic Way looks pretty stunning, and I get a real sense of the fun and adventure, and the evenings holed up in a small pub that could be had. Never been to Ireland (20 mins from the Tunnel so always go Europe ..) but this looks really appealing ....

Another must do to the list .... :thumb2

I am about an hour from the tunnel, so Europe is an easy destination...Bit of a long drag to get to the ferry to Ireland. We went from Anglesea as we were staying near Dublin... We got the Swift going over , which is a two hour trip, but had to get a slower boat back, about 3 hours.

One of relatives is in a band, so we went to a bar to watch them play..bloody good night out....not sure what the licencing hours are over there....seem to be quite flexible:beer:

Looking forward to going again..:aidan

One of relatives is in a band, so we went to a bar to watch them play..bloody good night out....not sure what the licencing hours are over there....seem to be quite flexible :beer:

Looking forward to going again..:aidan

Overheard in a Bar down The Wesht;
Tourist asks "when do you close?"
Publican replies "arahh - it'll be late"
Tourist asks "Late when?! :rolleyes: "

Publican replies "when the tourists have gone ... late September"

:eek:

If you manage to get over to the cliffs of moher make sure you take the n67 to Galway me and:wife was over that way last year and I'll tell you that road is a beauty
It had just been resurfaced and is as twisty as a twisty thing :aidan

Sounds like it's right up Catos street ... :)

Did N67 going south....and yea it is a very nice bit or road....

Back
Top Bottom