Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!!

Jersey_GS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For Christ sake bloody Garmin does my head in.

I have had a 550 Zumo for a few year got used to it's way of working during that time, nearly smashing the damn into the tarmac on a number of occasions.

Now upgraded to the 590 and I am still finding its functionality frustrating. Why if you carefully build a route on basecamp and send it to the device it recalculates
even if the map version is the same year just the next release on the device. Why does it have to do that Aaarrrrggghhh!!

I now have to update the maps and Basecamp not a quick task and who's to say the routes get changed once the upgrade is done.

What's annoying is the recalculation makes you double back onto faster roads. I don't want faster roads all the time.

I am doing routes for a bike trip with 15 other mates so when i send the GPX files so they can have the routes none of them will have the latest maps so when all the
recalculation is done on their Basecamps we will all be going completely different ways (depending on their map versions and calculation criteria)

Also i noticed if you use the Towns as waypoints in Basecamp (denoted by a green dot) as i have done in the past the Zumo will ignore these when recalculating. So if your entire route
is built from town to town and you go to a petrol station as a via point somewhere on the route the whole route you built will be ignored and you will end up going a way the gps wants
you to go not the way you planned to go. This happened to me last year I had some awesome roads planned too, gutted!!

I have now updated the Maps on the device through Garmin Express and it hasn't automatically updated Basecamp so Why???? :nenau

Don't get me wrong i wouldn't dream of venturing abroad without the GPS, why does it have to be so complex?

Why on the 550 does the route end up in Routes ie "Where to - Routes" on the 590 its in "Apps - Trip planner" Why the change?? Just not intuitive.

Rant over apologies :augie

And one more thing I forgot to mention. If the 590 is so smart why when you are half way down a route and for what ever reason the device spazzes out and stops calculating the route, you have to stop the route and re start it,
Why doesn't it automatically realise you are halfway down that route and give you the nearest waypoint in the direction of the destination??? Instead of the first waypoint in the routes list. So you then have to reference the map to find the next waypoint from where you are and choose it yourself not something you want to start doing at 70 MPH on a motorway.

Just an observation

Redrick yes they do match done all that thanks for the advice though :thumb JerseyNeil nice try :beerjug:, even though I hate some of the calculations and recalculations I do actually like the 590 great map scrolling there are marked improvements on the 590

Good to hear. I'm just trying to decide on an upgrade too but struggling to justify the extra cost of the 590 over a 390.........

Not had any of those problems with my 590 , yet?
I prefer mapsource and click on the roads I want to go on, I then save the route as a gpx file on the SD card in the zumo.
Zumo on and import the route, no recalculation, exactly as it was planned.
Did you remember to tick the box to update your computer as well as your zumo??
Stop using waypoints and just use shaping nodes.

Not had any of those problems with my 590 , yet?
I prefer mapsource and click on the roads I want to go on, I then save the route as a gpx file on the SD card in the zumo.
Zumo on and import the route, no recalculation, exactly as it was planned.
Did you remember to tick the box to update your computer as well as your zumo??
Stop using waypoints and just use shaping nodes.

Thanks Kenny, I preferred Mapsource but thought it was being discontinued no longer supported so grasped the thorny nettle known as Basecamp.
Will try your method, Initially i never used waypoints just clicked the roads i neened, still experienced recalculating away from planned routes, thought if you plant a waypoint somewhere the gps would use and not deviate.

I will try your gpx to SD card see if that improves experience and no i probably missed the tick box, its probably obvious but i missed it bet i cant update it till the next map update is available.

Will try shaping nodes again thanks for the advice :thumb2

Attachments

• Motorcycle_Journeys_Through_Western_Europe_4_France_Tours_Regional_Michelin_Maps.jpg
    Motorcycle_Journeys_Through_Western_Europe_4_France_Tours_Regional_Michelin_Maps.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,446
Especially when sharing routes with a group you need to distribute them as TRACKS, not ROUTES. Tracks are not subject to change whereas routes are the results of calculations performed on devices, in Basecamp, in Mapsource etc. All these are complicated by the various settings for avoidances, the maps in use etc etc. Devices like the Montana, Garmin 60c, Etrex etc can navigate tracks and I think (not certain) that the 590 can also do so. See this explanation for the Nav V - similar to the 590 from http://globeriders.com/article_pages/article07_gps/article07_nav5.shtml

Tracks:

The NAV5 handles Tracks very well for a Garmin On The Road device. You can Import up to 200 Tracks to the Tracks App and each of those tracks can have up to 15,000 points. You can have up to 15 of your tracks showing on the Map concurrently which puts the NAV5 in the same league as many of the newer On The Trail handhelds for showing total Track Points on the Map. If you want to navigate a track you can do so in two ways. You could just enable the Track settings to "Show on Map" and then following the track path on the map. Or, you could go one much better and use the "Convert to Trip" option. Start by selecting the Track and then select the "wrench" icon on the overview page. One of the Edit options is Convert to Trip. This is an excellent feature for those of us that travel on roads or trails that may not be on the map. Converting the Track will create a new Trip (route) of the same name in the Trip Planner that is usually a complete representation of the original Track. When I do this I always set the original Track to "Show on Map" and set the color to Black. Now when I want to navigate the Track I go to the Trip Planner and select my "converted-track" and press GO. What you'll see on the Map page is the magenta route path of your Trip with a black line in the middle that is the original Track; it's just in case the NAV5 doesn't quite get the conversion correct. This same Track to Trip conversion software was first developed for the zumo™ 660 so it's been in play for several years now.

Thanks Chris how do you convert a route to a track for distribution??? The routes are roughly covering 300-400 miles of French minor roads.

Easiest way to convert a route to a track is just to ask Basecamp to do it. On a Mac (or in Windows), right click on the route's name in the left hand listing and select "Create Track from (Selected) Route". This will create a track with typically a few thousand points which is fine. It will follow precisely the route as created on the originator's computer.

Easiest way to convert a route to a track is just to ask Basecamp to do it. On a Mac (or in Windows), right click on the route's name in the left hand listing and select "Create Track from (Selected) Route". This will create a track with typically a few thousand points which is fine. It will follow precisely the route as created on the originator's computer.

Great information Chris on both posts :thumb2 I tried in basecamp and works a treat :clap I will have a play and see if this is my answer Top dollar reply thank you :beerjug:

I could always take an hour out and show you and your mates around Jersey :augit

Did you have a 390 prior to the 590? Is so what are the pros and cons and where do you stash all those unwanted extra cables on the 590 loom? All I want to do is plug it into my canbus plug under the headlight and use bluetooth. All those cables look like a bit of a faff.

Neil

I could always take an hour out and show you and your mates around Jersey :augit

Did you have a 390 prior to the 590? Is so what are the pros and cons and where do you stash all those unwanted extra cables on the 590 loom? All I want to do is plug it into my canbus plug under the headlight and use bluetooth. All those cables look like a bit of a faff.

Neil

Hey Neil, I had a 550 and although was very happy with it the 590 is way better I ordered a Nippy Normans cable for the 590 but before it arrived (no patience!) I hard wired the 590 loom to the battery and in the process dressed the loom into the frame, although where it goes under the tank is slightly untidy as I couldn't be bothered to take the tank off however this is out of sight next time I service the bike I will tidy this up.

So I have a nippy Normans canbus cable if you want it?

Cheers Jersey. I too had a 550 and kept the nippy Norman canbus cable that I had used for that. I intend to splice it onto either the 390 or 590 I just can't decide (may my problems never get any bigger eh!).
I keep convincing myself that the 390lm is perfect for me. I use the phone but never want music. I just keep getting hypnotically drawn to the biggers screened 590lm:green gri then I tell my self that £140 extra for half an inch is a bit extravagant oooerrr!

Any thoughts out there for my life threatening dilema?....

I have now updated the Maps on the device through Garmin Express and it hasn't automatically updated Basecamp so Why???? :nenau

The answer will be that by default Garmin prefer to update the device only and you should select device and computer in 'view details' or advanced settings BEFORE selecting install:
Screenshots below are for Nav V and use the latest Garmin Express, but the reasoning is the same;
i-sTQGtg8-L.png

i-FW9cnL2.png

You could choose re install and start again doing it with more attention this time.

Cheers Jersey. I too had a 550 and kept the nippy Norman canbus cable that I had used for that. I intend to splice it onto either the 390 or 590 I just can't decide (may my problems never get any bigger eh!).
I keep convincing myself that the 390lm is perfect for me. I use the phone but never want music. I just keep getting hypnotically drawn to the biggers screened 590lm:green gri then I tell my self that £140 extra for half an inch is a bit extravagant oooerrr!

Any thoughts out there for my life threatening dilema?....

Hey Neil,
Definately the 590 I had the same dilema and am really happy i went for the 590 (OK i am spewing off about Garmin but i would still be moaning if it was a 390) it has a much better scrolling bigger memory better cpu more functionality.

I got mine from GlobalGPS.

Thanks GrinningGSer,
I found the hidden option in Garmin express and reinstalled to computer only all sorted \0/ they dont like to make it easy though!!

Back
Top Bottom