Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!!

Two completely different observations in the last couple of days.

1) My battery has never held its charge for very long, and has been a big disappointment. 10 mins of hand held work, and it would say that the battery was low. I got fed up and started looking for a new one on line, and I came across this brilliant snippet. The issue seems to have been not that it went flat quickly, but that it never really charged the battery properly - even though the display said that it was full. It seems that the pins in the batter connector are not connecting properly with the Zumo. Early days, but it is behaving itself much better than before after doing a bit of work as described in the link above.

2) I contacted Zumo about the need to press the Skip button - which is now an illegal activity when riding, and the issue related to ignoring the all of the points between where you are now and where you select as your next destination. The first, they couldn't help with as to whether or not a future upgrade was in the pipeline. The second, I got the stock 'do a factory reset on your machine'. I didn't believe this as a possible answer - and still don't - but nevertheless, I deliberately added extra shaping points to my morning's route. I selected the end point as the 'next destination' and it didn't calculate its own route to the end point. It tried to take me to the couple of off-route shaping points. I have never seen it do this before.

A couple of possibilities. A while back I upgraded the maps, and even further back I upgraded the software to 3.30. But I never did a system reset after these upgrades. I'm not aware that this is a necessity though.

I designed this route on the satnav itself, and set the intermediate points to be shaping points when I edited the route in Trip Planner. Previously I had transferred routes from Basecamp and made sure that shaping points and via points show up correctly.

So either as a result of upgrade, reset, or a different method of creating the route - the behaviour when setting off appears to be different from what I observed many times before. What is also different was that I was already on the route when I restarted the route. Whatever, my guide with reference to this situation is now out of date, or is now wrong, or doesn't cover all situations.

18 months down the line, I have just come back to this thread. A couple of extra snippets of information.

Someone mentioned 'Favourites' a few posts back. When a Waypoint is placed in a route (ie a point created with the flag tool in Basecamp, or obtained from the database and added to a route with the flag icon in the popup menu), it becomes a Via Point by default, but can be changed to a Shaping Point. However, the Garmin knows that it was entered as a Waypoint, and when the route is transferred to the zumo 590 or 595, it gets added to the list of Favourites. (If the route is put onto SD card, then there are additional complications - they have to be imported before they show up, and in fact they don't show up at all if there are no waypoints/favourites stored in internal memory.

Via Points and Shaping points do not show up in favourites unless those points happen to have been created as Waypoints and then added to the route.

Garmin have now started saying that when skip is pressed, navigation continues to the next route point (shaping point or via point). They must have been reading my document !

Regarding having auto recalculate turned off - and then navigating to the magenta route. That works fine - the satnav goes quiet until you rejoin - but beware that as soon as you do, it will still try to navigate you to any Via Points that it has missed - which may be in the wrong direction. It will ignore the shaping points that you have missed.

I'm still investigating the 595 - it seems to have an auto-skip feature, but I ma unsure as to how it behaves with Via Points. I'll report back.

Back
Top Bottom