Indicators remain on after ignition is switched off

Santy

Reaction score
My GS1150 has a strange problem. If I put either the left or right indicators on and I stop the bike, turn off the ignition, the indicators remain flashing. Does anyone have any idea what has caused this and how it can be fixed.

Thanks,

Santy

Sounds like you may have a faulty Flasher Relay (located in the Fuse Box).

I take it that under normal conditions you can select and cancel the indicators, and the Hazard flasher button works as it is supposed to. This would rule out the switch gear and the indicators and the wiring. All that's then left is the flasher relay it'self.

I take it that nothing else is on with ignition off, like the horn button operating the horn or lights etc.

Do you have an alarm/immobiliser fitted?

Ian

Hi Ian,

You are right, everything else works as normal. I don't have an alarm/immobiliser fitted either. I just tried it again and what I notice as soon as I turn the ignition off or if I turn on the indicators when the ignition is switched off, the indicators flash quicker than they would normally. Hopefully you are right and it is just a faulty flasher flasher relay.

Santy

The hazards are (IIRC) latching: they stay on if they're on when you turn the ignition off, but can't be turned on when the ignition is off. Sounds like the indicators have inherited similar behaviour? The change in speed might be related, since two indicators will be half the load the hazards would normally present?

No idea how the hazards are wired, so I'm probably not helping...

My 1100 used to do this occasionally.
If I turned the engine off with the indicator on, sometimes (but only sometimes) it would keep flashing at double speed until I pressed the cancel button. It didn't happen every time (I tried to recreate the 'fault' and never managed to make it do it on demand) but every now and again it happened. I actually changed the indicator relay to cure another fault but it made no difference to the occasional 'flashing after switch off'. I put it down to one of those 'character' issues and forgot about it...

Back
Top Bottom