Multistrada 2015

I have an order in for a 2015 Multistrada DVT, delivery "soon". I did a quick write up on a Ducati forum of my 2nd test ride...

I went back to P&H today for another test ride of their standard 1200 DVT. I wanted to have a good look at the bike, try all the modes, fiddle about with it and do more miles. I had 2 hours on it this time so did some slab down to Brighton then twisties on the way back.

The bike is now run in at 600+ miles, rather than the 30 miles it had on my first test ride, so I felt comfortable nailing it a bit more aggressively. Holy mother of god it's amazing! From 6k rpm it goes ballistic. In sport mode it is very very fast indeed. You will not be disappointed.

I tried the heated grips which were nice and toasty with an even heat.

At 6'2" there is noise & buffeting from the screen - as per usual I'm about 2" too tall as it's calmer if I slouched down a bit. I might investigate a short screen or that carbon thingy.

The front seat didn't seam to be attached properly at the rear. Very curious. I couldn't work out how it was meant to fit on, and couldn't see how height adjustment would work. I didn't have a manual handy either.

Cruise control is excellent. Coming off cruise control is a bit surprising as suddenly you're in a world of heavy engine braking which throws you forwards. Once you've done it for the first time you can be prepared next time.

Throttle response isn't quite linear and it'll take a while to figure out how the bikes going to react to a given input. Most noticeable in Sport mode.

Handling is excellent - just chuck it on its side with no drama. I didn't have the guts to try the "crack it open while leant over" traction control on a demo bike with a £750 insurance excess. But it is beautifully nimble in the twisties, flipping from side to side easily. It will destroy everything up in the Alps I think.

Sitting on the motorway was fine - no issues other than being a bit noisier (wind) and buffetier than I'd like. It felt very relaxed at 80mph like it would just go and go all day. And EVERYONE got out of my way - brilliant! The seat feels tipped forward a bit, resulting in me sliding forward and my trousers rucking up and trapping my nadgers - this would get uncomfortable on a long trip but it may just be how the seat was (not) attached. I prefer a flatter seat.

Around town it was all very light and easy to ride. One important aspect of a bike for me is how well it does slowly, as well as quickly. It was occasionally (twice) slightly reluctant to slot into neutral at a standstill - a gentle release of the clutch and nudge of the gear lever worked. I'll put this down to a new gearbox. Plenty of steering lock, able to dribble through traffic, not overly noisy and flashy. Light clutch, light throttle, easy steering. Lots of people gawking at it.

Overall, small niggles in what is a truly weaponised motorcycle. Ludicrously quick, handles brilliantly, comfy riding position, and 42 mpg average with a mix of motorway, slow town, twisties - your typical normal ride in crowded southern England.

I've had a Multistrada on loan for the afternoon and pretty much agree with your findings but had no issues selecting neutral, it is a weapon isn't it;) like you I am or was keen to get a better look and a ride on the XR1000 but also like you I know I prefer a big twin rather than a multi, I'm not in the market to change right now but if I were my next bike would be Red and Italian :D

Yes, and 160bhp feels just about correct doesn't it. There are three 160bhp adventure sport bikes out there (or incoming in the case of the XR). That's great news in anyone's book. Fantastic time to be a motorcyclist.

Yes, and 160bhp feels just about correct doesn't it. There are three 160bhp adventure sport bikes out there (or incoming in the case of the XR). That's great news in anyone's book. Fantastic time to be a motorcyclist.

They aren't though are they :nenau

There ARE three bikes out there with comfortable sit up and beg seating positions and with a few other features that make them suitable for touring and enough power and decent enough handling to allow you to go into full on nutter hooning mode if you so wish but none of them make any pretence (the KTM excepted, possibly) at being anything other than fast road bikes.

Andres

Yes agreed - depends on your definition of "adventure". I was just using BMW's term for the S1000XR. If you want to do proper off road stuff then there's other kit out there which is much more suitable than these three, and I don't think anyone is pretending otherwise.

It's going to be a tough decision!

Nutty I'm in the same boat. Thinking about another MTS or the S1000XS (trade my S1000R in next year). My mates just sold his KTM 1290 (he couldn't get on with it), I had a go on it but it was too tall and didnt handle well enough "on the road" for me. Engine was brilliant tho.
I had a GSWC still at the time and I thought that was a way better bike (but the engine is not powerful enough to compete).
That leaves 2 hmmm...

Nutty I'm in the same boat. Thinking about another MTS or the S1000XS (trade my S1000R in next year). My mates just sold his KTM 1290 (he couldn't get on with it), I had a go on it but it was too tall and didnt handle well enough "on the road" for me. Engine was brilliant tho.
I had a GSWC still at the time and I thought that was a way better bike (but the engine is not powerful enough to compete).
That leaves 2 hmmm...

Not long to wait now for the XR. Some dealers are getting their demo bikes next week.

On the way home last night I was reading the test report of the 2015 Multistrada in ABR.

I was quite surprised at how much the DVT S version costs.

If you take all the option packs,which basically specs it up to Tosser expectations with full luggage,heated grips,centre stand,engine bars,spot lights,rad grill,sump guard,and finally a road legal exhaust,would anybody like to hazard a guess at the cost ?

:eek::eek::eek:

i'd say heading towards £20K. which is why i've not bothered to ride one.

...and i'd want the Pike's Peak.

How much in 3 years time ? There's lots of peeps on here that never think about depreciation when buying their toys... but I do.I will have a Ducati test ride day soon and will even try a Diavel :hide (You should see Yonkyo's Diavel pics on Facebook at the mo; on tour in France)

£19005 for red and £19205 for white.

Utterly ridiculous!!!!

How many options is that with. My mate picked his up yesterday and it wasn't close to either of those prices and he had two of the options packs. £200 extra for white is a bit ott though.

I think BMW have probably got a lot to thank Ducati for, I bought a multistrada before a GS and I know lots of other people who have too for the same reason, they look good but after problem after problem it's nice to get something you can trust.

How many options is that with. My mate picked his up yesterday and it wasn't close to either of those prices and he had two of the options packs. £200 extra for white is a bit ott though.

There's 3 option packs at £950 and one at £560.

You'd think when you are paying £16k you would get a centre stand and heated grips as standard !!!

I think BMW have probably got a lot to thank Ducati for, I bought a multistrada before a GS and I know lots of other people who have too for the same reason, they look good but after problem after problem it's nice to get something you can trust.

You buying Japanese then ?

:augie

There's 3 option packs at £950 and one at £560.

You'd think when you are paying £16k you would get a centre stand and heated grips as standard !!!

:augie

I had a look earlier you're still off with the price. There are options that aren't on the website so it would probably be £22k if you put all the packs and then the carbon panels on it. After seeing my mates it needs the carbon to get the finish I like, similar to my RSV.

Think I'll go back to option one, 1150GSA to the petrol station. :D

That's ridiculous. If the MS is so good, why do I see so many owners at BMW dealers trying (being the operative word) to trade in for a GS?:nenau

What is this depreciation you talk of?...5 years ago I bought a Harley Big Twin for £5k.....today it's worth.....£5k....

Back
Top Bottom