Cheaper alternative front discs

peepingtom

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I brought my 09 800 a couple of months ago with 44,000 and badly worn front discs and pads so look for a new pair . As many of you will know a pair of bmw discs are £500 and pads an equally eye watering £100.:eek:

I didn't want to pay that as I'm not know for keeping bikes long enough for the pads to wear out let alone the discs, but I still wanted a decent product. Anyway as far I could fathom out the only alternative offering a floating disc was brembo at £200, not big enough saving to change from original.

So I phone ABE (all bike engineering) who also rebuild shocks a ring and they've made me a lovely PAIR for £220

Very nice they are too. I'd post a picture but can't . I can email the picture if anyone want to see them or post it up here for others :beerjug:

Not test ridden them yet as part of the poxy caliper is now seized:mad:

Thanks for the heads up Tom that is a huge saving :eek:

Let us know what you thing once tested :beerjug: I realise a lot wouldn't stray from Original Parts..

The picture thing is easy peasy, some one will tell you how to do it from your post super fast - scroll down insert to image.

Many use a free / or better paid service such as photobucket - smugmug- Flickr - etc upload to the library - then from the library copy the image sharing link - paste in your post here = job done..

I've been out on it now and all good. Yes as you say dean its a big saving, I think £500 for a pair of discs is taking the piss really. I took the bike over a local sand pit , what a brilliant bike ! The standard suspension is very good and the bike is in a different league to my 1100 off road. Much more manageable , just need some bar risers now and pesky head bearings.

Also try black shadow discs in Wales . Not only do they build new discs very reasonably priced, they also refurb Brembo , Galfer etc .

Hi, good to know about this option. My discs are still fine, but when I was looking on potential replacement, there was practically nothing available off the shelf apart of the Brembo ones. It would be great if you manage to post the picture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Tom,
So now you've had the ABE discs for a while what do you think of them?
Is it still all good?
I need a set for my 08 F800GS and ABE are a significant saving, plus they are only up the road for me.
Any and all info gratefully received.
SuperTed

F800 gs front brake disc

Hi All.
My brakes came yesterday from outside the UK. They cost £350 (2 discs, 2 pairs of brake pads):D:D:D

Attachments

• DSC07738 (Custom).JPG
    DSC07738 (Custom).JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC07739 (Custom).JPG
    DSC07739 (Custom).JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 277
  • DSC07740 (Custom).JPG
    DSC07740 (Custom).JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC07741 (Custom).JPG
    DSC07741 (Custom).JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 289
Where did you get them from? £350 is quite reasonable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi
My friend got me them in Poland. £350 is a great price. It's possible to get more of them.
Any info on PM.
Thanks. Bernard

I now have a pair of the Allbike Engineering front discs on my 2008 F8GS - and they are great :thumb2
The cost of these is quite amazing. £220 for a pair of discs (and when you turn up to collect them you get served by the chap that actually made them) when Motorrad want £250 each!! :eek:
There are times when BMW parts prices are a bit cheeky; there are times when you wince a bit but pay up; then there are the times when the prices are simply taking the piss, and IMO £250 per disc is very much the latter.
Particularly when the ABE discs plus new pads cost less than BMW want for just one disc.
And the bonus is that the saving has let me order a nice new rear shock from the nice folk at Nitron. :)
I'll post a separate thread for that once I have received and fitted it.
SuperTed

I now have a pair of the Allbike Engineering front discs on my 2008 F8GS - and they are great :thumb2
The cost of these is quite amazing. £220 for a pair of discs (and when you turn up to collect them you get served by the chap that actually made them) when Motorrad want £250 each!! :eek:
There are times when BMW parts prices are a bit cheeky; there are times when you wince a bit but pay up; then there are the times when the prices are simply taking the piss, and IMO £250 per disc is very much the latter.
Particularly when the ABE discs plus new pads cost less than BMW want for just one disc.
And the bonus is that the saving has let me order a nice new rear shock from the nice folk at Nitron. :)
I'll post a separate thread for that once I have received and fitted it.
SuperTed

Another item in the "taking the piss" are the right hand front brake pads for my K12GT at £77.57 plus VAT (so £93.08) then add in the left hand side pads at £58.20 plus VAT (£69.84) whic takes the cost of pads alone on the front to £162.92, plus of course the silly £250 per disc .... grrrrr.

Back
Top Bottom