Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Basecamp and Nav 5.......... My way .............

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    ...without taking me onto a housing estate off the main road and back out again no matter how may points I put in
    Post it up here for us to have a go at.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonker View Post
    basecamp has the 'curvy route' option but I don't think my 660 has.
    Yup and it's often the cause of much confusion on these pages.

So, can I not use the 'curvy route' option in basecamp unless I upgrade to a 590?

So, can I not use the 'curvy route' option in basecamp unless I upgrade to a 590?
    The Nav 5 has the curvy road option in it so i assume does the 590. The 660 does not.However if you follow my instructions on creating a route at the start of this thread there is no need to use the curvy roads as you will be shaping the route to your own desires in the first place.
    Just a Prospect at the moment

Basecamp can't even do a 2 mile circular route from my house & back without taking me onto a housing estate off the main road and back out again no matter how may points I put in !

But thanks for the effort, I'll give it another go.
    Yes it can !
    Trust me on this you don't need to put in lots of points just ensure that the ones you do place are done accurately.

In BaseCamp, running on your computer, it will plot you a route that it perceives to be 'curvey'. How it does it might depend on some of your other settings or it may override them, I have no idea. Play around with it. You can't break it, it's free and they can't touch you for it.

Send the route to your GPS device, which will run it quite happily.

Whether you are happy with the route it offers up, is another matter entirely. If you are unhappy, plot your own or amend it to suit yourself. If you are happy, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    Yes it can !
    Trust me on this you don't need to put in lots of points just ensure that the ones you do place are done accurately.
    As you all know by now I am not a great fan of Basecamp but I tottaly agree it does work. If you can't plot a route properly I'm afraid you need to accept it is you and not the software. Were I staring now I don't doubt I would use Basecamp all the time. I don't simply because I have software that does everything I need already. I play with Basecamp from time to time and maybe one day I will find something offered by it that will make me change to using it full time. I am certainly not against new things, just wary of confusing new with improved.

John
    Still misbehaving.

Yes it can !
    Trust me...
    redric's right.

Now click the device transfer button and check the top 2 boxes at transferring routes. this will strip out any shaping points but send a second version to the device that still has them (just in case)
    Hi Redrick, I'm curious about why you check these boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Hi Redrick, I'm curious about why you check these boxes?
    I do it as it seems to allow the route without loads of shaping or way points being in the route on the device.

It just seems to work for me and you end up with a clean route and a back up with the points on just in case.

I've just had another look at Basecamp. A route I plotted using Tyre and added to my 660 has been transfered to Basecamp which takes a totally different road to get to the first waypoint whichever setting I use. Another portion of the route takes me up a road then back down it and a different way into Hawes from the originally planned route.
    I guess if you plan the route using Basecamp it may well work.

Also I find the map detail very poor in Basecamp. Unless I have my Garmin to hand I can't see a very detailed road network at all. I've imported the OSM maps which are better but not good.

I'll stick to Tyre, much easier.
    Out on the floor - K.T.F.

I've just had another look at Basecamp. A route I plotted using Tyre and added to my 660 has been transfered to Basecamp which takes a totally different road to get to the first waypoint whichever setting I use. Another portion of the route takes me up a road then back down it and a different way into Hawes from the originally planned route.
    Part of your problem is using Tyre or any other non Garmin product to create the route. Points you place on the Tyre map are just points in space and therefore may not match with your Garmin map when you transfer it. You can always add a via point or two to bring the route where you intended. Better to do it on a Garmin map, I use Mapsource because I know it and find it really simple to use-just like in Google you can create a basic route between two points and then drag and drop, creating via points as required. No doubt the Basecamp experts will provide a simple guide to doing likewise in Basecamp.

John
    Still misbehaving.

I do it as it seems to allow the route without loads of shaping or way points being in the route on the device.

It just seems to work for me and you end up with a clean route and a back up with the points on just in case.
    Interesting, do you have route recalculation switched off?

John
    Still misbehaving.

Also I find the map detail very poor in Basecamp. Unless I have my Garmin to hand I can't see a very detailed road network at all. I've imported the OSM maps which are better but not good.

There is plenty of detail in basecamp you just have to zoom in or you could use the OS overlay which gives you all the detail you could ever need !

I have said this before but ..

Garmin Sat nav units work and garmin have produced mapping software to compliment those Nav units. The 2 work hand in glove so to speak. To expect third party software to work as well as the designated software is akin to expecting a mini wheel to perform well on a landrover and then slagging off the landrover for its failings

Quote Originally Posted by The Grey One View Post
    Interesting, do you have route recalculation switched off?

John
    I actualy do not know as i never seem to have the problem that it seems to cause to so many people but I will check and get back

Well this is the detail I get from Basecamp using the Basecamp map. I can't even see B roads.
    And yes I understand what you say about the 2 working together. It's just that I find other programs a damn sight easier to use.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Same area using OSM maps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast