Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Basecamp and Nav 5.......... My way .............

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    All sorted now. Navigator map added to PC so I can see the detail.
    Only thing I can't do is turn on & off individual routes. I can see them all.
    Out on the floor - K.T.F.

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    All sorted now. Navigator map added to PC so I can see the detail.
    Only thing I can't do is turn on & off individual routes. I can see them all.
    You will be able to see all the routes that are contained within the folder you have highlighted in my collection

I sugest that for ease you create different folders for different trips etc then to see the current route so you can alter it left click on it in the bottom left hand nav pane and it will become the "bold" route

Bloody hell this is painful isnt it
    Just a Prospect at the moment

Great Redrick thanks for all the help.

Great Redrick thanks for all the help.
    No probs

I feel i almost have a mission to get people using and enjoying Basecamp as it does work and works well. I have never used anything else so had no choice but to embrace it.

Any other issues that i can help with please feel free to PM me and we could perhaps phone and sort

I feel it's very much like an Adobe product. In any "normal" program the workflow is 1,2,3,4. In anything Adobe its. Z,6,%,9
    and Basecamp seems the same.

I'm assuming that care must be taken to get waypoints on the correct side of dual carriageways to avoid the loop back down the wrong way just to pass through it as in other route planning programs (Tyre).

Stay Frosty Click here to find out how to Subscribe

I'm assuming that care must be taken to get waypoints on the correct side of dual carriageways to avoid the loop back down the wrong way just to pass through it as in other route planning programs (Tyre).
    i have never ever had that problem, though i read about it here all the time. dunno why that is, as i'm pretty slapdash adding the waypoints and shaping point?
    Ready To >> Rest

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    i have never ever had that problem, though i read about it here all the time. dunno why that is, as i'm pretty slapdash adding the waypoints and shaping point?
    Just luck then,it's a very common problem when people start plotting routes, easily solved by being careful with your via points.

John
    Still misbehaving.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    No probs

I feel i almost have a mission to get people using and enjoying Basecamp as it does work and works well. I have never used anything else so had no choice but to embrace it.

Any other issues that i can help with please feel free to PM me and we could perhaps phone and sort
    Maybe this explains a lot! I used Mapsource for years before Basecamp existed. The early versions of Basecamp were truly awful to use on a PC ( I have no experience on a Mac) Now it's much better and with practice and perseverance can be made to work well. I don't use it because I find Mapsource does everything I need in a very simple way. I also don't like the way Basecamp hides routes away within itself, I much prefer the standard file system used by Mapsource. I know you can export them and that is what I do if I use Basecamp but it just adds another task. Yes Mapsource has been around for years, but so have I!

I am sure if I needed any of the clever things I am told Basecamp can do I would invest the time to use it more often. Right now, and for me, there are no benefits for using what I find to be a more complex and cumbersome system. I am more than willing to be corrected if anyone can tell me of advantages I don't know about

John
    Still misbehaving.

Have a look here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U75K...ature=youtu.be not quite how redrick builds routes but useful for beginners

User error Rich

Try dragging it in smaller bites
    How? I've got the latest 2017 maps on both. When I go to drag, it drags HUGE chunks! How do I drag small chunks of it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Nutty GSER View Post
    How? I've got the latest 2017 maps on both. When I go to drag, it drags HUGE chunks! How do I drag small chunks of it?
    What should happen is that you select the hand tool and then make sure that the route is highlighted then alt and hold down left mouse and just drag a point of the highlighted route to where you want it, This in effect creates a shaping point release the mouse and let it sort itself out. On a Mac it actually asks if you wish to move the selected bit

It often looks like a great big riangle/ straight lines section is being moved but it should just drop the point where you want and then re calcalculate.

It is difficult to put into words !

What should happen is that you select the hand tool and then make sure that the route is highlighted then alt and hold down left mouse and just drag a point of the highlighted route to where you want it, This in effect creates a shaping point release the mouse and let it sort itself out. On a Mac it actually asks if you wish to move the selected bit

It often looks like a great big riangle/ straight lines section is being moved but it should just drop the point where you want and then re calcalculate.

Nope, that's what I've done, and it takes you on a huge convoluted route, up roads, and back down again. All I need to do is amend small chunks, but this is the reason why I keep giving up on it. I could plan a route on the unit directly, chuck in a dozen villages, and it will sort it out, but I'm determined to crack this Basecamp malarkey if it's the last thing I do!

Quote Originally Posted by The Nutty GSER View Post
    Nope, that's what I've done, and it takes you on a huge convoluted route, up roads, and back down again. All I need to do is amend small chunks, but this is the reason why I keep giving up on it. I could plan a route on the unit directly, chuck in a dozen villages, and it will sort it out, but I'm determined to crack this Basecamp malarkey if it's the last thing I do!
    Start dragging the route in very small chunks, about half inch at a time from where you first need to adjust it.

I wish we could arrange an on line wbinar type thing

Wapping to the Basecamp supporters stand please

That works for me, reminded me of one of the reasons why I don't like it much though. On my usual laptop I have to press the Alt key whilst moving the pointer and press the left hand "mouse" button, bloody awkward that is!. Might work better with an external mouse I suppose. In Mapsource I can use the pointer tool to select the part of the route I want to change and drag it to a new position, this automatically creates a new via point. Is there not a way of doing this in Basecamp without needing three hands?

John
    Still misbehaving.

I feel it's very much like an Adobe product. In any "normal" program the workflow is 1,2,3,4. In anything Adobe its. Z,6,%,9
    and Basecamp seems the same.

I completely agree. The reason basecamp gets so much flak ( both here, GS, and walking/cycling forums too) is that it is complete shit.

Like Redrick and Wapping (who both provide helpful posts on basecamp), thank you. I can use it. I can get it to do exactly what I want.

But its still, truly dreadful software.

Why Redrick feels the need to "defend it", from valid criticism, baffles many of us.
    Last edited by Aberdeen GS; 11-05-16 at 15:31. Reason: spelling

Start dragging the route in very small chunks, about half inch at a time from where you first need to adjust it.

I wish we could arrange an on line wbinar type thing

Wapping to the Basecamp supporters stand please
    It ain't happening. I still get the big line. I could actually ride to Cornwall quicker than it's taken me to plan the friggin journey in Basecamp!

I'll stick to my way, life's too short, and I can't be arsed!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast