Basecamp and Nav 5.......... My way .............

Base camp is not difficult i promise !

It frustrates me to see so much animosity towards something that actually does work so this is my fool proof way of creating a route I hope it helps.

I am assuming that all the maps are up to date and firmware too and that the same maps are on the computer and device.

firstly In base camp click on edit and options and check the activity to motorcycle And do the same on the Nav unit. There are 2 tabs under this, General and routing. In the routing tab set whatever you like as long as this is replicated on the device. I have mine set to fastest.

Now click the device transfer button and check the top 2 boxes at transferring routes. this will strip out any shaping points but send a second version to the device that still has them (just in case)

In the Left hand navigation pane right click on my collections and create a new list folder and call it favourites. I keep in here all the way points i use regularly such as home or your hotel or preferably both

So to do a route:

Right click my collections and create another folder and call it any thing you like but i use my trip as a name I.e Scotland now right click on that and create a new list and give that a name too.

Open that list and you will see absolutely nothing untill you copy and paste into the bottom of the left and navigation pane your start pont and end point ( get these from you favourites folder) or create way points on the fly and they will appear in here

Now click file then new route and a box opens asking for start and end point, drag your start point from the bottom left hand pane and repeat with the end point Base camp will now create a route based on the criteria you set it in the routing options.

This route will not be to your liking so....

Click either on the route itself or the name of the route in the bottom left hand pane and it will become highlighted

By using the mouse left click and the Alt key you can grab bits of the route and drag to how you want it ! but do this bit at a time. If it goes a bit pete tong just undo by clicking edit and undo.

With a bit of practice it is quite easy !

To transfer the route to the Nav connect the 2 up, Highlight the route in question (The one in the bottom left hand pane) and click the transfer button

Disconect the device and turn it on and it should ask you if you want to imort the new routes it has found and obviously the answer is yes
once it has completed that task your route is ready to go in the apps trip planner

I dont want to be a patronising bastard here but this method does work. it is slightly different for mac but only a little

I followed these steps exactly for my Navigator V. when I open the Garmin trip planner and load the route, it asks me to "Select Next Destination" and routes me to that, and not my whole trip. It is driving me nuts! And advice. I am pretty familiar with basecamp so I feel I am doing that part correctly.

This is because you may possibly be selecting the final destination point, and not your first waypoint of the route you want to use, by selecting the final destination you are instructing the nav to use its own routing preferences to take you there and not your pre made route, So always select your start point, NOTE if you are already at the first waypoint (start point) of your pre made route, like your home, i suggest you make a second waypoint at the bottom of your road or somewhere like it on the route close to your start point and choose that as your next destination, and then it should carry on your route unhindered, as long as the second waypoint you choose is on your actual pre made route.
I feel sure there are many threads on the forum about this particular problem, and others will be along to help.

Hope this helps.

This is because you may possibly be selecting the final destination point, and not your first waypoint of the route you want to use, by selecting the final destination you are instructing the nav to use its own routing preferences to take you there and not your pre made route, NOTE if you are already at the first waypoint of your pre made route, like your home, i suggest you make a second waypoint at the bottom of your road or somewhere like it on the route close to your start point and choose that as your next destination, and then it should carry on your route unhindered, as long as the second waypoint you choose is on your actual pre made route.
I feel sure there are many threads on the forum about this particular problem, and others will be along to help.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, leedude03. Just to help clarify: it does not seem to matter which point or waypoint I select. It can be the first or second one in the list (if i am at the start point) or any other in the list. It will take me to the point I selected in the shortest path possible (regardless of my route) and then stop navigation completely. I tried to add in a waypoint as you suggested (this was my thought, too) and it stopped navigation at that point. I know I am missing something, but I don't know what.

Have you looked at your route after you have transfered it from basecamp or whatever you use to create the route (what do you use) to your nav to see if it has altered from the one you created.

Ihovercraft, whilst possibly confusing at first, the 'Select next destination' function should work perfectly. Like Lee, I can only suspect that there is something within your personal settings and / or human error creeping in.

Can we start with the basics, please.

A. How do you create your routes? Are they:

1. Created by you in BaseCamp or Mapsource

2. Created by you in some third party route creation software package

3. Is it that you just ask your device to create it for you?

B. Between your start point A, your finish point E and your waypoints in between (B, C and D) do you have your own shaping points or did you just let your device / software choose the roads the roads for itself?

C. When you start your route are you actually on it? By this I mean, is your vehicle sitting on or very close to the magenta line, pointing near enough in the direction of travel?

D. What personal settings have you set your device to? Fastest time, most direct, wiggly roads, off-road?

E. Do you have any 'Auto skip waypoint' type function(s) or preference(s) activated?

F. Is your device set to 'Off route recalculation' ON or OFF or PROMPTED? If set to prompted, do you instruct the device to recalculate for you (ie the magenta line alters to recalculate, making allowance that you are now off your original route) or do you navigate back to the magenta line yourself, picking up the route again?

Thanks, leedude03. Just to help clarify: it does not seem to matter which point or waypoint I select. It can be the first or second one in the list (if i am at the start point) or any other in the list. It will take me to the point I selected in the shortest path possible (regardless of my route) and then stop navigation completely. I tried to add in a waypoint as you suggested (this was my thought, too) and it stopped navigation at that point. I know I am missing something, but I don't know what.

OK what appears to have happened here is that your waypoint is not quite in the road you actually have to pass right over it (check where its placed in basecamp zoom right in and make sure its in the road and not slightly off to the side) if you dont the device will try to navigate you back to that point. if your device is set to recalculte when prompted and you select no when the device asks "off route recalculate?" all navigation direction stops until you pass the selected waypoint or skip it using the skip function if your device has it.

With the Nav V or 590, you can counter the effect of the "select first destination" issue by creating a waypoint on your desired route and just a short distance (150 yds for e.g.) from your starting point and giving it an easily recognisable name. When you activate the route just select this as your first point and all will be well.
What is happening in your situation is that the garmin is ignoring your shaping points and taking you to your selected first destination based on the navigation settings of the device.

Have you looked at your route after you have transfered it from basecamp or whatever you use to create the route (what do you use) to your nav to see if it has altered from the one you created.

I use Basecamp. I have been using this for years and feel pretty comfortable with it. I have planned many multi-day trips for my GPSMap 62.
After I load it into the trip planner, it does look like it is the correct route.

Have you selected/activated the route you want to use correctly.
owners manual link below.

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/BMW_Nav_V_OM_EN.pdf

Thanks everyone for all the help.
Hi leeddude. Yeah, it is activated correctly per the users manual. I did create another waypoint near the start of the route. When I first did this the waypoint did not transfer to my NAV V, but I transferred again and it showed up. It looks like now it is acting more like a car gps now. I tell it the next destination is the waypoint right down the road and when I get to that waypoint, the route keeps going.

The other issue, though, is if I get off the route (to get gas or something) it wants me to select the next destination from where I am (apparently the closest point on the route from my current position). This is a challenge especially since most of the time you don't know where you are! (The vast majority of my riding is exploration in unknown areas.) In my car GPS, it will recalculate to get you back on the route from wherever you are, but that isn't the case here. I do have recalculation turned on. I guess this is something I can get used to, but it sure seems to defeat the entire reason you have a GPS....so you won't get lost. I still think I am missing something here, though.

This all sounds very much like what the early devices did. I had simular problems with early 3 series units as well as Nav V. Has the OP brought the software up to date? Many users seem to update maps but not the device software. There were updates some time ago to solve this sort of problem.

John

This all sounds very much like what the early devices did. I had simular problems with early 3 series units as well as Nav V. Has the OP brought the software up to date? Many users seem to update maps but not the device software. There were updates some time ago to solve this sort of problem.

John

Hi Grey One,
I am on software update 3.40 which Garmin says is the latest and greatest. It is a very frustrating issue, especially for a device that costs as much as this did. I have used a hand held GPSMap 62 for years and it was easy as pie.

A couple of answers:

Created by me in Basecamp​

No​

No​

B. Between your start point A, your finish point E and your waypoints in between (B, C and D) do you have your own shaping points or did you just let your device / software choose the roads the roads for itself?

​I created my own shaping point. To make the route in basecamp, I created a new list, selected the route tool, and made the route. I then upload to my device with strip out shaping point and send an original copy selected in options.​

C. When you start your route are you actually on it? By this I mean, is your vehicle sitting on or very close to the magenta line, pointing near enough in the direction of travel?

​Very close to it. In this case, I started with a waypoint at my house address. But, I was not on the route​

D. What personal settings have you set your device to? Fastest time, most direct, wiggly roads, off-road?

​I have both Basecamp and the Navigator V set to Curvey Roads, avoid highways, motorcycle mode of travel​

E. Do you have any 'Auto skip waypoint' type function(s) or preference(s) activated?

​Nope​

F. Is your device set to 'Off route recalculation' ON or OFF or PROMPTED? If set to prompted, do you instruct the device to recalculate for you (ie the magenta line alters to recalculate, making allowance that you are now off your original route) or do you navigate back to the magenta line yourself, picking up the route again?

​I have off route calculation set to automatic.​

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of answers:

​Created by me in Basecamp​

​No​

​No​

​I created my own shaping point. To make the route in basecamp, I created a new list, selected the route tool, and made the route. I then upload to my device with strip out shaping point and send an original copy selected in options.​

​Very close to it. In this case, I started with a waypoint at my house address. But, I was not on the route​

​I have both Basecamp and the Navigator V set to Curvey Roads, avoid highways, motorcycle mode of travel​

​Nope​

​I have off route calculation set to automatic.​

D could be your problem

I set mine to fastest on all devices as if you are creating and shaping a route in basecamp it matters little which setting you use as long as they are both the same but if you select a waypoint to start the route the device will calculate thye curvy road option as opposed to the fastest ( direct) option

Give it a go and report back

why, when you transfer your route to your device, have you selected "strip out shaping points"? Surely, you needed the Shaping Points to get the route you wanted in Basecamp. If you tansfer to your device without them, your device will just calculate a route linking your waypoints, and this is unlikely to be the route you want, as you needed to use Shaping Points when you first created it

The other issue I have found is the one of starting a created route with a waypoint located at your home/hotel or whatever. I have been parked on one side of a hotel carpark, started up a route, and had the satnav taking me around a loop of local roads so that I actually rode over the Waypoint location. So, as previously recommended (by Wapping I think), it is better to have the first waypoint of any route at a point just down the road from where you know you will be starting off. then, when you select the route and press 'Go', the device will offer you a list of the route Waypoints and it usually asks/suggests the 2nd one in the list. So, all you do is select the first Waypoint and the device will navigate you the 150m or whatever down the road to the start of your route (i.e. the first Waypoint)

why, when you transfer your route to your device, have you selected "strip out shaping points"? Surely, you needed the Shaping Points to get the route you wanted in Basecamp. If you tansfer to your device without them, your device will just calculate a route linking your waypoints, and this is unlikely to be the route you want, as you needed to use Shaping Points when you first created it

The other issue I have found is the one of starting a created route with a waypoint located at your home/hotel or whatever. I have been parked on one side of a hotel carpark, started up a route, and had the satnav taking me around a loop of local roads so that I actually rode over the Waypoint location. So, as previously recommended (by Wapping I think), it is better to have the first waypoint of any route at a point just down the road from where you know you will be starting off. then, when you select the route and press 'Go', the device will offer you a list of the route Waypoints and it usually asks/suggests the 2nd one in the list. So, all you do is select the first Waypoint and the device will navigate you the 150m or whatever down the road to the start of your route (i.e. the first Waypoint)

My thoughts exactly regarding shaping points. Why put them in to strip them out when you transfer the route to the device?

As regards starting from a waypoint I can't say I have ever had that problem. My preplaned routes always have a waypoint as a starting point and I have never been instructed to go around the block. If I don't start from the exact point I just get a "please drive to highlighted route" instruction.

John

Re: Stripping out shaping points. This was suggested by redrick who started this thread:

"Now click the device transfer button and check the top 2 boxes at transferring routes. this will strip out any shaping points but send a second version to the device that still has them (just in case)"

I typically had never done that, but I was following his directions. I can certainly try that without stripping the shaping points, although the route seems to upload to my device and the turn by turn list of directions seems accurate. The other issue is if I don't strip out the shaping points, it tells me I have more than 29 and splits the trip into multiple routes. Even on a short 70 mile trip I end up with more than 29 shaping points. Maybe I missed something? I might be using the wrong terminology:
In Basecamp when I create a route, I create a new list, select the route tool and start drawing out my route. When I am done, I get a long list of "points", each "point" is where I clicked on the map to create my route. When making backroad routes with lots of turns, I typically click near every turn, so these add up. Are these "points" WAYPOINTS or SHAPING POINTS?

Re: Stripping out shaping points. This was suggested by redrick who started this thread:

"Now click the device transfer button and check the top 2 boxes at transferring routes. this will strip out any shaping points but send a second version to the device that still has them (just in case)"

I typically had never done that, but I was following his directions. I can certainly try that without stripping the shaping points, although the route seems to upload to my device and the turn by turn list of directions seems accurate. The other issue is if I don't strip out the shaping points, it tells me I have more than 29 and splits the trip into multiple routes. Even on a short 70 mile trip I end up with more than 29 shaping points. Maybe I missed something? I might be using the wrong terminology:
In Basecamp when I create a route, I create a new list, select the route tool and start drawing out my route. When I am done, I get a long list of "points", each "point" is where I clicked on the map to create my route. When making backroad routes with lots of turns, I typically click near every turn, so these add up. Are these "points" WAYPOINTS or SHAPING POINTS?

You are correct about the shaping points

However instead of drawing your route in basecamp try as I suggested in the first post of having a start and end, ( throw in a couple of way points if you wish) let basecamp create a "route" then drag it as you would like it

This method creates far less shaping points and has a definitive start and end Start point needs to be placed accurately or it will try and route you as you have discovered if it asks where to start tell it the first point you have even if that is supposed to be your starting point ( I.E Home) then just use the skip function on the control wheel

Back
Top Bottom