Basecamp and Nav 5.......... My way .............

There is a map detail tool to adjust the level of detail click View tab > toolbars > detail level. this can affect your PC CPU depending on how old your PC is.

Yes but I can't get it loaded on my PC unless the 660 is connected, once I disconnect the map disappears.

I plot very specific routes, often using single track roads over the moors.
That is because you have the correct maps on the Zummo but not the PC so basecamp defaults to the device maps
I assume that you have Garmin express and life time maps

Connect your Zummo to the PC and Garmin express will open and inform you of any updates etc
Down load the maps to the device and PC seperately ( in the Advanced options)

You do need those maps on basecamp if you want to get any where with this

Are you sure that if you click on maps in basecamp you don't have the option of the city nav maps ??

Just connected Garmin and it now gives me the option to add the maps to my PC. Not an option that appeared last time I connected it.

Just connected Garmin and it now gives me the option to add the maps to my PC. Not an option that appeared last time I connected it.

The option is always there-being Garmin you have to go to advanced settings or some such you then have choices as to what to update.

John

Just my two pence worth, I've always found that if a route takes me up a road and back down again there is either a rogue shaping point or way point, or the point has been placed slightly off route. Zoom right in and check where the points are.

Bob

The option is always there-being Garmin you have to go to advanced settings or some such you then have choices as to what to update.

John

John

Going back to the question of re calculate. These are the settings i use on my Mac book but the same applies to my PC. I do not have the Nav unit to hand but these may help and mine does work well with these settings.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 11.32.58.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 11.32.58.png
    76.9 KB · Views: 249
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 11.33.14.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 11.33.14.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 203
Vrsg60 well that looks odd are you sure you have your detail set to above medium and are you sure you are viewing the actual map, go to the top left and ensure your map is selected in the drop down menue if using mapsource and if basecamp go to maps and select your map. below are th resu;ts i get for the same area using either mapsource or basecamp, check make sure you have map selected and map detail.

looks like you are now sorted it took me to long to post this someone else answered.

Attachments

• 11-05-2016 11-35-32.jpg
    11-05-2016 11-35-32.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 252
  • 11-05-2016 11-36-00.jpg
    11-05-2016 11-36-00.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 250
  • 11-05-2016 11-38-59.jpg
    11-05-2016 11-38-59.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 248
All sorted now. Navigator map added to PC so I can see the detail.
Only thing I can't do is turn on & off individual routes. I can see them all.

All sorted now. Navigator map added to PC so I can see the detail.
Only thing I can't do is turn on & off individual routes. I can see them all.

You will be able to see all the routes that are contained within the folder you have highlighted in my collection

I sugest that for ease you create different folders for different trips etc then to see the current route so you can alter it left click on it in the bottom left hand nav pane and it will become the "bold" route

Bloody hell this is painful isnt it :D

Great Redrick thanks for all the help.

No probs

I feel i almost have a mission to get people using and enjoying Basecamp as it does work and works well. I have never used anything else so had no choice but to embrace it.

Any other issues that i can help with please feel free to PM me and we could perhaps phone and sort

I feel it's very much like an Adobe product. In any "normal" program the workflow is 1,2,3,4. In anything Adobe its. Z,6,%,9
and Basecamp seems the same. :D

I'm assuming that care must be taken to get waypoints on the correct side of dual carriageways to avoid the loop back down the wrong way just to pass through it as in other route planning programs (Tyre).

I'm assuming that care must be taken to get waypoints on the correct side of dual carriageways to avoid the loop back down the wrong way just to pass through it as in other route planning programs (Tyre).

i have never ever had that problem, though i read about it here all the time. dunno why that is, as i'm pretty slapdash adding the waypoints and shaping point?

i have never ever had that problem, though i read about it here all the time. dunno why that is, as i'm pretty slapdash adding the waypoints and shaping point?

Just luck then,it's a very common problem when people start plotting routes, easily solved by being careful with your via points.

John

No probs

I feel i almost have a mission to get people using and enjoying Basecamp as it does work and works well. I have never used anything else so had no choice but to embrace it.

Any other issues that i can help with please feel free to PM me and we could perhaps phone and sort

Maybe this explains a lot! I used Mapsource for years before Basecamp existed. The early versions of Basecamp were truly awful to use on a PC ( I have no experience on a Mac) Now it's much better and with practice and perseverance can be made to work well. I don't use it because I find Mapsource does everything I need in a very simple way. I also don't like the way Basecamp hides routes away within itself, I much prefer the standard file system used by Mapsource. I know you can export them and that is what I do if I use Basecamp but it just adds another task. Yes Mapsource has been around for years, but so have I!

I am sure if I needed any of the clever things I am told Basecamp can do I would invest the time to use it more often. Right now, and for me, there are no benefits for using what I find to be a more complex and cumbersome system. I am more than willing to be corrected if anyone can tell me of advantages I don't know about

John

User error Rich

Try dragging it in smaller bites

How? I've got the latest 2017 maps on both. When I go to drag, it drags HUGE chunks! How do I drag small chunks of it?

How? I've got the latest 2017 maps on both. When I go to drag, it drags HUGE chunks! How do I drag small chunks of it?

What should happen is that you select the hand tool and then make sure that the route is highlighted then alt and hold down left mouse and just drag a point of the highlighted route to where you want it, This in effect creates a shaping point release the mouse and let it sort itself out. On a Mac it actually asks if you wish to move the selected bit

It often looks like a great big riangle/ straight lines section is being moved but it should just drop the point where you want and then re calcalculate.

It is difficult to put into words !

What should happen is that you select the hand tool and then make sure that the route is highlighted then alt and hold down left mouse and just drag a point of the highlighted route to where you want it, This in effect creates a shaping point release the mouse and let it sort itself out. On a Mac it actually asks if you wish to move the selected bit

It often looks like a great big riangle/ straight lines section is being moved but it should just drop the point where you want and then re calcalculate.

It is difficult to put into words !

Nope, that's what I've done, and it takes you on a huge convoluted route, up roads, and back down again. All I need to do is amend small chunks, but this is the reason why I keep giving up on it. I could plan a route on the unit directly, chuck in a dozen villages, and it will sort it out, but I'm determined to crack this Basecamp malarkey if it's the last thing I do!

Back
Top Bottom