New TomTom 400

TomTom have lost the plot

I've had a TomTom in the car for about 10 years, (no idea what model, it's just a TomTom, I call her Doris) - tiny screen, never updated: brilliant! Input where you want to go and you're directed there, (within the UK).
As a returning biker I had never used a sat-nav on a bike but thought I would invest in one now as I find it so useful in the car, (without a nag-ivator), and prices have dropped. Garmin Zumo 340 was £90 cheaper than the TomTom rider so I bought it. What a fekkin pain in the arse! I couldn't get on with it at all - all I wanted to do was input where I wanted to go and go there. I didn't want to spend 8 weeks sat in front of a computer screen trying to plot a fekkin route on some shite American mapping system.
So, when I saw a TomTom 400 for £319 I made an impulse purchase, (I gave the Garmin to a mate - let him try to figure it out). BIG mistake! It is nothing like Doris. It's more like the fekkin Garmin! It hasn't even got a "Navigate To" button - or, if it has, I haven't found it yet. It's supposed to be designed for bikers to use with gloves on - so why are the on-screen buttons about half the size of the on-screen buttons on 10-year-old Doris? I'm hardly accurate inputting with my sausage-fingers - I can't do fek-all in gloves!
I'm really disappointed. It's got full European coverage and free lifetime updates - and it's fekkin shite. I tried planning a route on the "Tyre" software you've got to use, (EXACTLY the same American shite that the Garmin used), and you've got to zoom in so close that you select the correct side of the road for your waypoints!! Otherwise it sends you all round the one-way system till you're on the other side of the road facing the wrong fekkin way.
I'm gonna bodge a mount for Doris and put a plastic bag over her head to keep the rain off. Anybody know how to connect a 10-year-old-pre-bluetooth TomTom called Doris to a Cardo Scala Bluetooth intercom?
Hmmm, the above might be a bit much for my first post! I'm usually very mild-mannered. Honest!

It definitely takes a lot more learning than the older Rider. The language and inuitiveness is annoying but you want the 'plan a thrill' option. For actual route planning motogoloco is best I find.

I've had a love hate with it since I bought it. Love the bigger screen and it's much faster, but hated it when trying to plot a route and found out you needed a memory card to transfer it (since fixed with a software update). Love the upcoming petrol stations function (when in rural areas of Europe) but hated the added diffulty of itinerary planning.

I think in a year with more updates it will be great!

Just back from a Switzerland / France trip using my 'old' V5 Rider. Twice came across "Route Barree" on my journey, no problem with the V5, just edit / delete the missed waypoint on the move and keep going.
Now, on the 400 you would have had to stop, delete all the waypoints up to that point and then ask for a way ahead. This is my main grip with the 400 which I hope is fixed in a fiture software update.

Well, TT have issued the latest software update and thank christ, they have added a waypoint skip facility(like the V5).

"When driving a route with multiple waypoints, the user now has the option to Skip the next Stop (waypoint). The device will then recalculate the route to the next waypoint from the current location."

"Using an imported ITN route you are now able to start your itinerary from any stop in your route by simply tapping Start from here."

"You can now select specific sections of your route to avoid. The route is then recalculated avoiding this specific section."

For full story - https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/r...-rider-40400-available-mydrive-connect-989527

given up on Rider 400 - bought Rider V5

Well, I've given up on the Rider 400. From what I've read on various forums it was never going to do what I wanted it to. I've now bought a Rider V5 with full European lifetime maps for £319.
So, instead of buying what I wanted, I bought something else to save myself about £60. This ended up costing me a whole riding season of messing about and the thick end of £600!
Anyone want to buy a Rider 400?

Back
Top Bottom