New TomTom 400

thomo57

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been using a TomTom Urban Rider since July 2010, always been happy with it, especially after it bounced down the road in 2011.
Last week I bought the new Rider and it's very good, takes a bit of getting used to the new look symbols and menus, paired to my Iphone, it works a treat.
Best new feature is the search which searches both the loaded map and Internet.
just hope the new mount is better than the previous model!

Picked mine up from Halfords, £20 off and a free litre of Muc-Off thrown in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my new TT Rider 400 yesterday, been reading the manual on the operation system , looks good, still to try it out.

Loaded up some routes for my trip next week, all done with no issues. Not going to bother pairing my phone for the traffic updates, to much faffing about.

Like the route bar at the side display.

Mcnib, pairing your phone gives the 400 a lot more functionality, the search will search both map an Internet, and the live traffic is helpful is your heading into congestion.

Tom Tom Rider 400 - can anyone answer this, while following a route on the 400, a stop was missed on the route (through a small town) and when back on route the 400 kept trying to reroute me back to the missed route.
The v5 had a 'mark stop as visited' ability but the 400 does not appear to be able to do this, afaik. It does have an 'avoid roadblock' facility but not tried this yet to see what it does.

Has anyone used the 400 yet and found how this may be achieved?

I've been using the 400 for a month now and it's done well compared to the TT Urban Rider.

Bugger.. Sent before I was finished....
The way around the situation you have described is to zoom into the map, into the waypoint and delete it.

I fitted mine last week. It feels like a significant improvement over the Urban that I had previously.

My only reservation is that the mount seems to vibrate more, especially at tickover. I'm guessing there's just more play in it for the rotate feature, but I hope it doesn't shake itself to bits over time!

Not sure I'd ever use the portrait angle - tried it briefly but seemed very narrow - maybe useful on a long motorway slog?

Bugger.. Sent before I was finished....
The way around the situation you have described is to zoom into the map, into the waypoint and delete it.

When I tried that it recalculates the route and asks you to start at the beginning of the route???

Or am I doing something wrong???

When I tried that it recalculates the route and asks you to start at the beginning of the route???

Or am I doing something wrong???

Nope..
That's the way the 400 handles it :mad: you would need to delete the previous way points as well
Hopefully TomTom will sort that out in an update, as they did with the Urban Rider, a couple of months after launch..

I prefer TomTom over Garmin, but am stuck with the Nav V if I want to use the handlebar wheel on the GSA. If there was a way of making the TT work with the wheel, I'd ditch the Garmin immediately.

One feature I like the look of on the new TT is the daily updates of mobile speed cameras. Apparently, TT have done a deal with the police, so the police update TT EVERY day as to the locations of the mobile cameras that day.:thumb

Nope..
That's the way the 400 handles it :mad: you would need to delete the previous way points as well
Hopefully TomTom will sort that out in an update, as they did with the Urban Rider, a couple of months after launch..

Beggars the question - if they new it was a bug in the Urban Rider why put it into the 400 software! It's about time they let the software ignore a waypoint after a set distance or time.

It wasn't a bug in the Urban Rider, they provided a suite of options that were useful , in managing and and quickly amending the current route. These options could be programmed by the user into an easy to access quick menu option.
Another useful feature that was in the Urban Rider and missing from the 400, is the itinerary menu list where you can change, delete, add and reorder waypoints and destinations,
On the plus side, I have found the Search function, which uses my iPhone data connection, is very good, a common search searches both the loaded map and Internet at the same time

Does this Tomtom 400 play music? Is there a Garmin equivalent which stores and plays music?

The Garmin Zumo 590 plays and stores music.

The older Zumo 660 does this too, but it is a legacy device now that doesn't have enough memory to store maps for the whole of Europe without splitting them onto an SD Card. The maps are also only updated twice a year instead of four times like the new devices. The 660 is still a good device, albeit slower and with the aforementioned restrictions. It ultimately comes down to budget and requirements.

My wife and I have recently upgraded from the 660 and I wouldn't personally be purchasing one, but that's because it no longer meets my needs rather than being because there is anything wrong with the 660.

So is the Zumo 590 the best in terms of features, if one can afford it? Does it also fix into a car? Are there any other contenders to consider?

Rider 400 - first software update is available if you have not already done so..........

Well I have had riders for many years and used them both on bike and in the car, never had an issue apart from route planning / itinerary malarkey which is easy enough to work round. Never liked Garmins due to being in my opinion too complicated and on every single occasion both uk and Europe I have been with someone using one it sent us round the rekin where the TT has been faultless.
Bought the 400 last month and thought I had bought a Garmin by mistake, it even looks like a Garmin FFS, the firmware is from one of their car units, its lost loads of the previous Riders functionality and has become over complex.
Some of the stuff I don't like:

If you don't set a destination it stays zoomed out so far its useless and does not warn when approaching cameras
When its turned on it takes an eternity to load up (opposite of TT's claims)
The mount is shite and why did they have to change it the portrait/landscape malarkey is a gimmick and not worth the grief of changing the mount.
The previous mount could be bolted directly onto a mount a la Triumph / Kawasaki where this one has to have a ram ball attached to the mount then a ram arm then the mount which is highly nickable compared to the screwed on predecessor
When the mount does not have the power cable attached you are left with an annoying lead flapping about and no plug is supplied to stop water ingress, the previous Rider had a tidy recessed socket when not powered.
The plug is very small and fragile looking too.
Tried the thrilling ride thing once so far and had to give up after 5 mile as the roads were shite and unless you were on a trailly or "adventure" bike your bike would have been shagged after negotiating all the gravel / potholes / farm debris etc we encountered (others on pure road bikes) not TT fault but non the less.

Not impressed and even after a rushed update still work in progress as far as I am concerned and I have told them too on their forum :mad:

was going to purchase one of these int he Halfords sale this week, think I will give it a miss at the moment although 20% off is a nice saving.

Back
Top Bottom