Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BMW Off Road Skills course

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    not cheap, but absolutely worth it.

Reggie P
    If you factor in the sheer quality of the instructors ; ( Gywnne, Young Pavey, young Northover etc ) ...

and no fee for dropping/breaking the bikes, it's amazing they can offer it for the price.

The only comment I'd make; is the R1200GS/GSA isn't really a suitable bike for off road riding ...but there you go ! It's all about marketing/image I guess?

Have fun. You will imho.

Quote Originally Posted by stuartw View Post
    If you factor in the sheer quality of the instructors ; ( Gywnne, Young Pavey, even younger Northover etc ) ...

and no fee for dropping/breaking the bikes, it's amazing they can offer it for the price.

The only comment I'd make; is the R1200GS/GSA isnt really a suitable bike for off road riding ...but there you go ! It's all about marketing/image i guess? Have fun.
    Agree on the quality and thus price tag.
    Disagree about the bike: the 1200 was the bike for me. takes anything that's thrown at it and more. But then again I guess it also depends of what kind of off roading one does. For me it's about the fact that one bike does it all: commuting, touring, some lanes..

Anyone thinking of doing the bmw ORS, don't be put off by the 1200.

but as stuartw said: have fun !

Reggie P
    Caesi, I agree.... I didn't really explain myself very well! ( not for the 1st time)

From the BMW offerings; the 1200 was by far the best. More fun and (surprisingly) easier to ride than the 650 single or 800 twin.
    (If you are booking the course, do pay the extra £40ish for the 1200 ( even if you are more familiar with the 650/800)

However; I still can't reconcile that particular bike, as an off-road tool. I think a smaller KTM Husky Beta Honda KLR DR etc would be better!

Ive been given the level 1 course for Xmas.

Going on 6/7th august 2017...cant wait.

Shortly off to Portugal to break in the new steeds.

Very much looking forward to that, and yes it will be the 1200.

Done course 1, 2 and 3(though admitted I only have the cert for 2 as they combined courses that day). Really worth doing and really quite challenging. 98% of riders will have done nothing like it.

Highly recommended, combined with some local accommodation a great trip.

I'm booked on Level 1 course 12/13 May, anyone else on the course that weekend?

Just completed Level 2 with a couple of mates over the weekend.

Excellent course, really much more full-on trail riding than Level 1. It was pretty wet on Friday and Saturday with a few breaks when the sun came out, so the slippery mud was in abundance. This is my least liked surface to ride on, but persevered and definitely felt more confident as time went by.

We also did lot's of ruts, some seriously steep hills (up and down) as well as traversing inclines etc. Our instructor this time was Gwyn Barraclough, a really nice guy and an amazing rider!!

We all had a few 'offs', but on the last afternoon session (typical) I managed to damage one of the cylinder head covers on my bike when it hit a rock, and it was dropping oil. No issue, Gwyn gave me a (very quick) pillion trip back to the van where I was given a replacement! I was mortified that I had damaged one of their nice new GS Rallye's, but am assured it was nothing that a quick trip to the workshop couldn't fix.

A great way to spend a couple of days, roll on the beginning of August when we are back for Level 3.

Scott.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Do you ride your own bike or are they on lenders ??

Whoops. Asked that question when I was was half way down reading page 1, the photos above I assume demonstrate that they have bikes for you !!!!

It's a must do thing great fun.... but wife smashed her ancle to bits after a full day out just putting the bike away no lug to get your toe around on the side stand slipped and bang. Shameful thing was no call from Messrs Pavey et al to check on her as she was dropped at local A&E, somewhat disappointing as it was our 3rd trip there. But would still recommended it!!

I'm looking into doing this at some point

I'm booked in with a biker friend of mine, end of September 2017 Level 1.

Cant wait

Oh my god, can you see any corrosion yet?

Did this course Fri / Sat having ridden for 20 years and didn't know I still had so much to learn. Absolutely fantastic but the new bikes are something else - trip to a dealer next week me thinks

Quote Originally Posted by J2474 View Post
    Did this course Fri / Sat having ridden for 20 years and didn't know I still had so much to learn. Absolutely fantastic but the new bikes are something else - trip to a dealer next week me thinks
    Me too.... Great fun

I was booked onto the course "Level 1" in June this year.....just about to leave and some scumbag nicked my bike with all my gear! I phoned the BMW off road school to let them know and see if we could postpone my course for another time, "Sorry we can't help" is the answer I got. So the theft of my bike cost me £500.00 more top of the agro of my bike being nicked.

I got the bike back the following day "the power of Facebook, not the police" with only my panniers missing which eased the pain slightly.

But can't say much about the BMW ORS anther than "thanks for the help".

NOT IMPRESSED IS A UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    I'm booked in with a biker friend of mine, end of September 2017 Level 1.

Cant wait
    Hi Warlord

I too am booked on the end of September Level 1 course but am having second thoughts after the guy on the office number told me that although third party insurance is in place we are personally liable for any damage above scuffs to the bike that we ride. The bloke told me that I had to sort out my own cover and suggested that I talk to my insurers. Of course my insurance offers no cover for the riding and the brokers are unable to insure me in any way.

My view is that the thought of having to apy for any damage to a course bike is going to severly hamper my riding and make it more likely that I will drop it.

What's your view?

Interestingly, the page on the ORS course website that said that there is no personal motorcyle cover appears to have been edited since I spoke to them because I cannot find the reference to personal motorcycle cover.

http://www.offroadskills.com/additio...and-conditions

Richard
    Magma red R1200GSA, Zumo 590, ARDcases, LC Enduro footpegs on custom bushes with Wunderlich brake pedal adjuster.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast