Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 33 to 48 of 53

Thread: BMW Off Road Skills course

  1. #33
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    890
    Ive been three times and never saw any instance of any damage being required to be paid for. Its my understanding any reasonable damage done during the training is accepted as par for the course and covered by your payment.The only mention of damage in the T&Cs is [ from the 2017/2018 version]

    Caution : May stop suddenly

  2. #34
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sevenoaks
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Andi_archer View Post
    Ive been three times and never saw any instance of any damage being required to be paid for. Its my understanding any reasonable damage done during the training is accepted as par for the course and covered by your payment.The only mention of damage in the T&Cs is [ from the 2017/2018 version]


    Thanks Andi.

    Indeed and is what I would expect

    However, when I saw the bit about personal motorcycle cover on Thursday - that I now cannot find - I rang the ORS office and was told in no uncertain terms that anything above a few scuffs was down to us. Don't know what's happening there and I would have thought that I had made it up had it not been for the reaction from the office bod. He gave me Simon Pavey's number but despite leaving two messages I've not had a reply. I've even looked at Internet Time Machine and the web page seems to be the same as was last updated in March.

    Thanks again

    Richard
    Magma red R1200GSA, Zumo 590, ARDcases, LC Enduro footpegs on custom bushes with Wunderlich brake pedal adjuster.

  3. #35
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    890
    No mention of damage being covered by the rider in the email to me last week for next years booking other than that section I quoted. The only mention of Insurance is that theirs does not cover the rider in case of an accident.

    Caution : May stop suddenly

  4. #36
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sevenoaks
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Andi_archer View Post
    No mention of damage being covered by the rider in the email to me last week for next years booking other than that section I quoted. The only mention of Insurance is that theirs does not cover the rider in case of an accident.

    Thanks Andi

    Indeed

    As I said, I would have thought that I made it up but for the response from the office bod. Very perplexed.

    Hey ho, looks as though I will go to play in the mud with fewer worries.

    My - possibly excessive reaction - has been fueled by being stung big time by a car hire firm recently. No need to go into details but it's made me extremely warry of uninsured losses.

    Cheers

    Richard
    Magma red R1200GSA, Zumo 590, ARDcases, LC Enduro footpegs on custom bushes with Wunderlich brake pedal adjuster.

  5. #37
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    890
    Like I say Ive been 3 times [6 days] and the most I've seen is other riders damaging three head covers on rocks when the bike has dropped badly during practice,All that happens is it gets inspected and either repaired with epoxy or if there chance of metal in the gearbox a replacement bike is provided. I have seen two people with shoulder injuries from falling badly whilst traversing ruts one of which required a trip to Hospital but he was back in a sling for the awards. The team even drove him and his car home due to the nature of injury to his shoulder.

    I guess we are just fortunate to still at the moment, have an NHS service and not need private health care like the Americans.
    Caution : May stop suddenly

  6. #38
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sevenoaks
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Andi_archer View Post
    Like I say Ive been 3 times [6 days] and the most I've seen is other riders damaging three head covers on rocks when the bike has dropped badly during practice,All that happens is it gets inspected and either repaired with epoxy or if there chance of metal in the gearbox a replacement bike is provided. I have seen two people with shoulder injuries from falling badly whilst traversing ruts one of which required a trip to Hospital but he was back in a sling for the awards. The team even drove him and his car home due to the nature of injury to his shoulder.

    I guess we are just fortunate to still at the moment, have an NHS service and not need private health care like the Americans.
    Thanks Andi

    Richard :-)
    Magma red R1200GSA, Zumo 590, ARDcases, LC Enduro footpegs on custom bushes with Wunderlich brake pedal adjuster.

  7. #39
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sevenoaks
    Posts
    564
    Finally found the bit about Personal Motorcycle Insurance not being included.

    It's here: http://www.offroadskills.com/courses-2/level-1 in the How Much section:

    "How much?

    The two-day Level One Off Road Skills courses each cost £499. The price includes two days of group instruction, motorcycle hire, third party insurance, fuel, two lunches and one evening meal, refreshments and a certificate of completion. Please note: it does not include personal motorcycle or accident insurance, your accommodation and evening drinks, or any additional meals or drinks for your guests."

    I suppose that as this is not the T and C section . . .
    Magma red R1200GSA, Zumo 590, ARDcases, LC Enduro footpegs on custom bushes with Wunderlich brake pedal adjuster.

  8. #40
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sevenoaks
    Posts
    564

    Liability clarified

    Well, it was good to hear Linley Pavey confirm on Friday morning in front of the whole of the Stage 1 group that, provided we are adhering to the instructions from our trainers, we are not liable for damage to the bikes. She also had something to say about the source of the information I had received concerning liability, but that is now history.

    Cheers

    Richard
    Magma red R1200GSA, Zumo 590, ARDcases, LC Enduro footpegs on custom bushes with Wunderlich brake pedal adjuster.

  9. #41
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sevenoaks
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    I'm booked in with a biker friend of mine, end of September 2017 Level 1.

    Cant wait
    Which group were you in for the course?

    I thoroughly enjoyed it and am wondering how to convince my wife that I should go on L2F, L2 and then L3 so that I can go to Iceland . . .

    Richard
    Magma red R1200GSA, Zumo 590, ARDcases, LC Enduro footpegs on custom bushes with Wunderlich brake pedal adjuster.

  10. #42
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    890
    The L2F is a good follow on from L1 more cone destroying but this time on an incline slope, I learned a lot and it was great fun
    Caution : May stop suddenly

  11. #43
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sevenoaks
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Andi_archer View Post
    The L2F is a good follow on from L1 more cone destroying but this time on an incline slope, I learned a lot and it was great fun
    My problem is that I am distinctly unfit and have little or no opportunity to practice between courses so each course is almost a brand new experience.

    It was interesting to discover how much better the R1200GS LC resists tumbles than my R1200GSA OH. A <5mph drop onto Tarmac under 4" of mud resulted in a crushed rocker cover protector - seemingly made of chocolate - and a bent engine bar. Faster attacks of Welsh mud left no impression on the GS LC.

    Cheers

    Richard
    Magma red R1200GSA, Zumo 590, ARDcases, LC Enduro footpegs on custom bushes with Wunderlich brake pedal adjuster.

  12. #44
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    890
    In that case you might be better off booking the L1 and L2F back to back in a four day run at least that way you will increase you preparedness.
    Caution : May stop suddenly

  13. #45
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sevenoaks
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Andi_archer View Post
    In that case you might be better off booking the L1 and L2F back to back in a four day run at least that way you will increase you preparedness.
    Problem is one of funds: L1 cost me ~ £520 with boots and gloves hire, three nights B+B £195, 300 miles of diesel and a couple of evening meals. So, reckon on £850 for the course. Multiply that by four if I was to re-take L1 and that's a huge amount of cash :-)

    Also, I don't think I can repeatedly borrow my brother-in-law's motocross armour so that would have to be added to the mix.

    . . . . .

    Richard
    Magma red R1200GSA, Zumo 590, ARDcases, LC Enduro footpegs on custom bushes with Wunderlich brake pedal adjuster.

  14. #46
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Chug-chug View Post
    I was booked onto the course "Level 1" in June this year.....just about to leave and some scumbag nicked my bike with all my gear! I phoned the BMW off road school to let them know and see if we could postpone my course for another time, "Sorry we can't help" is the answer I got. So the theft of my bike cost me £500.00 more top of the agro of my bike being nicked.

    I got the bike back the following day "the power of Facebook, not the police" with only my panniers missing which eased the pain slightly.

    But can't say much about the BMW ORS anther than "thanks for the help".

    NOT IMPRESSED IS A UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Just read this, did you speak with Simon? He and his wife ( apologies can't recall name) are very customer focused and I'd be surprised if they didn't look after you in some way. Remember there's a difference between Bmw and Simon Pavey's business.

  15. #47
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,582
    Quote Originally Posted by RSavage View Post
    Problem is one of funds: L1 cost me ~ £520 with boots and gloves hire, three nights B+B £195, 300 miles of diesel and a couple of evening meals. So, reckon on £850 for the course. Multiply that by four if I was to re-take L1 and that's a huge amount of cash :-)

    Also, I don't think I can repeatedly borrow my brother-in-law's motocross armour so that would have to be added to the mix.

    . . . . .

    Richard
    300 miles of diesel ? If you are in the northwest you could look into using your bike and joining a ride with adventure workshop ( skygod?)

  16. #48
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sevenoaks
    Posts
    564

    Click here to find out how to remove these ads

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe narvey View Post
    300 miles of diesel ? If you are in the northwest you could look into using your bike and joining a ride with adventure workshop ( skygod?)
    Unfortunately I'm in Kent :-(
    Magma red R1200GSA, Zumo 590, ARDcases, LC Enduro footpegs on custom bushes with Wunderlich brake pedal adjuster.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Anyone attending a Ride Out or Event organised through the UKGSer Forums does so at their own risk.
UKGSer.com or anyone organising an event posted here will not be held responsible in any way for damage or personal injury sustained while attending any such events.

Members attending any such event do so at their own risk.

The text, images, graphics, sound files, animation files, video files, and their arrangement on this Website are all subject to copyright and other intellectual property protection. These objects may not be copied for commercial use or distribution, nor may these objects be modified or reposted to other sites without prior written permission.

Disclaimer: Use or depiction of the BMW logo or trademark throughout this web site is for illustrative and editorial purposes only, and to the benefit of the trademark owner, with no intention of infringement of the trademark.

The UKGSer Forums may include adult content for which it cannot be held responsible. Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the UKGSER network privacy policy

"Its about being a grown up hooligan - and if that means a dark visor, remus open pipe and a bit of speeding out of town then all well and good"