Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW Off Road Skills course

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

BMW Off Road Skills course

I did the level 1 and level 2 courses last weekend. Can't recommend them enough. They've introduced new tracks and features opening up new terrain.

There is a clear step-up between the 2 levels with level 2 being the application of skills learned in level 1 plus intense coverage of ruts, cambers and hill control with turns.

I've done level 1 before but it was well worth doing it again as I hadn't had occasion since the last time to ride without hands on bars, turn in very tight boxes, stall half way up hills,etc.

Instructors are brilliant, syllabus well structured with logical progression and consolidation.

Couldn't agree more. Roynie and I have done Level 1 twice (2009 & 2014) and the one-dayAdventure Travel course, which covers towing, freeing a bike from deep sand/mud, and other useful 'get out of jail' type manoeuvres. Apart from improving our riding skills immeasurably, it's just great craic and I'm sure we'll be back for another course at some point (though I don't know whether I'm brave enough for Level 2).

I'm booked to do Level 2 in August. Had to cancel it twice because of breakages.
    Anyone riding slower than you is an idiot, and anyone riding faster than you is a maniac

Quote Originally Posted by Smug View Post
    I'm booked to do Level 2 in August. Had to cancel it twice because of breakages.
    The momentum skill is used to stream people into groups including who is Level 2 and who is level 3 or indeed level 1.

You might want to practice the tight circle turning and stopping at the peak of a hill ascent!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe narvey View Post
    The momentum skill is used to stream people into groups including who is Level 2 and who is level 3 or indeed level 1.

You might want to practice the tight circle turning and stopping at the peak of a hill ascent!
    Ah, yes ... the momentum exercise. I had no trouble with it. Unfortunately, Roynie let his weight slip back to the point that he no longer had a proper grip of his brake and clutch levers so, instead of stopping at the summit, he accidentally twisted the throttle ... and took flight! We all applauded. The landing should have been an innocuous slide on fine shingle but the tyres of the Sertao bit and the bike bounced backwards onto his leg, breaking his fibula. Ouch!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by mrsroynie View Post
    Ah, yes ... the momentum exercise. I had no trouble with it. Unfortunately, Roynie let his weight slip back to the point that he no longer had a proper grip of his brake and clutch levers so, instead of stopping at the summit, he accidentally twisted the throttle ... and took flight! We all applauded. The landing should have been an innocuous slide on fine shingle but the tyres of the Sertao bit and the bike bounced backwards onto his leg, breaking his fibula. Ouch!
    Superb cartoon. In my case I'm be underneath it.

We had a student brake his leg in 2 places on level 1. Not my group but we were told he was a GP who has just managed to convince wife he could have a bike.

Hi all...I'm new here and absolutely loving the site. I am booked in this weekend for my first one in Wales with Simon Pavey and really looking forward to it...also on the hunt for a 1200 GS after having enough of my Hayabusa, good decision or not??

Quote Originally Posted by speedofile View Post
    Hi all...I'm new here and absolutely loving the site. I am booked in this weekend for my first one in Wales with Simon Pavey and really looking forward to it...also on the hunt for a 1200 GS after having enough of my Hayabusa, good decision or not??
    I see you tomorrow then?!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesi View Post
    I see you tomorrow then?!
    No way...excellent!! See you there

Enjoy
    Anyone riding slower than you is an idiot, and anyone riding faster than you is a maniac

Just seen this. I'm on the Level one course tomorrow and Saturday. Very much looking forward to it! In case the 2 guys posting above are on the same course I'll be on one of the 650's (same bike that I own) so might see you there.

Wow...what a weekend!! I did the Adventure Riding course and would highly recommend! Came back on Sunday and picked up my first 1200 GS

Quote Originally Posted by speedofile View Post
    Wow...what a weekend!! I did the Adventure Riding course and would highly recommend! Came back on Sunday and picked up my first 1200 GS
    totally agree.
    I was on Level 1 and can only recommend it.

Which GS did you get in the end?
    Any pics?

BMW ORS.......... Loved it!

Great course!

A mate and I did the Adventure Maintenance followed by the Level 1 on 22/23/24 September.

The instructors were excellent, they had a really well structured approach to teaching techniques, allowing time to practice them and for it to sink in before moving to the next thing. Loved doing some of the control stuff on Day 1, particularly locking up the front wheel which was great fun! The second day was all concentrated around the trails, and the best bit for me was doing the 'hill recovery' where we had to stop half way up a steep/slippery hill, turn the bike round and ride back down.

Highly recommended, and am planning to do Level 2 and 3 next year!!!!!

I must start saving up.
    Out on the floor - K.T.F.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast