2014 R1200RT LC Corrosion!!!

Karlread

Reaction score
I know that some of us on this forum use our bikes through the "colder" months here so I thought I would ask if anybody else had suffered these problems.
Purchased an RT in February this year from my local dealer, all bells and whistles and was their demonstrator. Picked it up with 3300 miles on it (reg sept 2014) and have put 700 miles on it.

On cleaning it a couple of weeks ago saw white bubbling around the final drive axle (where the black plastic ring is) and where the engine casings meet the cylinder heads the seems had bubbled. On taking it to the dealer, they also discovered bubbling on the trailing edge of the swing arm and on the fluid overflow hole which is on the near side of the engine.
Options are:
Get my money back and look for something else.
BMW will replace the parts but cannot guarantee it will not happen again, or let the dealer find me a low mileage bike.
I know I cannot legislate for the time it was used as a demo but has anyone else had similar problems with the new RT. I love the bike but think it may be worth just taking the money and getting something else.

Can't speak for the RT, but there are a few who have had corrosion issues on the LC GS, resulted in replaced engines in some cases.

I know that some of us on this forum use our bikes through the "colder" months here so I thought I would ask if anybody else had suffered these problems.
Purchased an RT in February this year from my local dealer, all bells and whistles and was their demonstrator. Picked it up with 3300 miles on it (reg sept 2014) and have put 700 miles on it.

On cleaning it a couple of weeks ago saw white bubbling around the final drive axle (where the black plastic ring is) and where the engine casings meet the cylinder heads the seems had bubbled. On taking it to the dealer, they also discovered bubbling on the trailing edge of the swing arm and on the fluid overflow hole which is on the near side of the engine.
Options are:
Get my money back and look for something else.
BMW will replace the parts but cannot guarantee it will not happen again, or let the dealer find me a low mileage bike.
I know I cannot legislate for the time it was used as a demo but has anyone else had similar problems with the new RT. I love the bike but think it may be worth just taking the money and getting something else.

You've got to admit that the quality must be shit of there is corrosion in less than a year on a product costing £15k+

I would take it back and buy something that is well made even if it means the bike itself isn't quite so appealing.

BMW seems to be relying too much on the following they have built up and will suffer if they do not improve their quality control.I've had only 2 new BMWs, a GSA12 and a K1300S.

Both had faults/corrosion within the first week of ownership and, to be honest,has put me off ever buying a new BMW again.

Don't think it has anything to do with Quality Control. You can have 100% inspection and still have problems if the original specification is unfit for purpose as seems to be the case with BMW paint these days. I have had a replacement Final Drive and Footrest Hanger Plates on my Twin Cam RT. Both expensive components replaced at BMW's expense. But no doubt the accountants have crunched the numbers and it's more cost effective to replace a mechanically perfect Final Drive on the few owners bikes who have complained rather than up-grade the original build specification.

For what it's worth, my 2012 Twin cam RT had both head covers, front engine cover, and both wheels replaced during the warranty period - all were heavily corroded. On the wheels the lacquer was flaking off in lumps, the head covers had a band of bubbling all round the joint as you describe, the front engine cover had two 'old penny' sized flakes of paint/final coating missing. Whilst not lovingly washed and dried after every ride it was properly protected (professionally and regularly) by ACF50 treatment and frequently cleaned without the use of anything unduly aggressive. End result - despite how much I enjoyed riding both my BMWs - I bought something else when the time came to change the RT. The finish on BMW bikes, I don't know whether it's the materials used or their application (others much wiser than I will tell you :rolleyes:), is simply not fit for purpose any more - shame, but there it is!

They must put some bad stuff on the roads there. The Hexheads and Camheads had issues a lot, but the Wetheads do not seem to have near the issues in the US!

If it were me, and I really liked the bike, I would have the easily removable parts replaced, and the others refinished.

There are likely no bikes out there where corrosion will never be an issue.

Jim :cool:

Lets see some nice pics of the offending corrosion then, so we can see how bad it is.

Lets see some nice pics of the offending corrosion then, so we can see how bad it is.

I wish I could post some but am a bit of a pleb with I pads and things, imagine looking at a join where 2 surfaces meet and from the join outwards 2 mm of white bubbles which I am informed where the magnesium alloy has reacted with the water that has got between the coating and the metal. I have been told that whilst BMW powder coat the components those items are then machined which leads to an Uncoated edge which is where the water gets in.
As there are no replacement engine casings the whole engine would need to be replaced at a cost of £7300 for the engine alone, absolutely bonkers.
Apparently, the UK receives only 5% of BMW bikes produced but generates 95% of the claims for corrosion. The Germans don't have this problem as they do not put salt down in winter but a mix with an alcohol content which lowers the freezing point.
I love the bike but am just disappointed with the finish, if you paid £17k for a car you would not expect this. My wife has a 5 year old Mitsubishi ASX used in all weathers and no corrosion. Am I expecting too much?

If you like the bike, go for a refund, and buy a new one, as long as the dealer will offer a decent discount on one.:thumb

Seeing the way demo bikes are ridden/ cleaned, there's no way I'd buy one.:rob

i agree with Nutty , give them back and get a new one that you can look after yourself …the demo will have been sat out on the forecourt all winter if not ridden in shite …bet it wasn't protected either by the AF50

My previous BMW an R1100SS (2001 model) was covered in corrosion like this after less than 12 months. All the affected parts were changed over. My current 2013 Rt is totally blemish free and still shiny too. Even after riding in two winters and being covered in ACF50 it has come up lovely.

Last September I tried a new LC RT which was not as good as my bike and it was only 3 months old with 700 miles on it, my bike was in much better condition.

My previous BMW an R1100SS (2001 model) was covered in corrosion like this after less than 12 months. All the affected parts were changed over. My current 2013 Rt is totally blemish free and still shiny too. Even after riding in two winters and being covered in ACF50 it has come up lovely.

Last September I tried a new LC RT which was not as good as my bike and it was only 3 months old with 700 miles on it, my bike was in much better condition.

I'm quite torn as to what to do next, I broached the possibility of a new bike with the dealer (Wollastons who have been brilliant and no I don't work for them) they suggested to BMW GB it would be easier to get me onto a new bike given the cost of replacing the diseased parts but they won't play ball, which I can understand as why give someone a new bike when they originally want used. Sadly, unless we can start a "new RT for Karl fund" as they do with church roof's and the like, that ain't going to happen.
Main reason being I bought an R1100RS as a second bike off of Gumtree, paid £1500 for it and spent that again on parts and sorting it though I have to say the finish on that bike even though it has covered 64,000 miles over it's 19 years is superb. Then, however, they could put all sorts of nasty substances in the paint. They were also not knocking out half as many bikes then and all of their parts suppliers were German.
So it is a case of taking the money and stashing some cash and getting an older RT or as the dealer is doing trying to seek a low mileage one pre registered by a BMW staff member and hardly ridden.
Incidentally Ride magazine had an RT for a year, I have sent Simon Weir an e-mail to see if he saw any corrosion though I doubt he would have washed it before he handed it back.
That's why I posted this to see ifs anyone on the forum with the new RT has had any issues or build wise with regular application of ACF 50 all is hunky dory.

The salt acts as a catalyst between the dissimilar metals which have been left without any protection from being machined after the application of paint Etc.

A manufacturing fault which BMW are obliged to rectify under warranty. I love the RTLC and can't find anything better, so I'd demand they change every corroded part on the bike & give me a loaner whilst they do the work...

My own bike had ACF50 treatment, but still shows some signs of corrosion, the pillion foot rest brackets are what I remember. I would go out and photo the areas you mention, but the bike (RTLC '15) is in the dealers having the ESA rear shock replaced... The Dealer has lent me a 1600 Sport for a couple of weeks, it's okay but not as good as the RT.

The salt acts as a catalyst between the dissimilar metals which have been left without any protection from being machined after the application of paint Etc.

A manufacturing fault which BMW are obliged to rectify under warranty. I love the RTLC and can't find anything better, so I'd demand they change every corroded part on the bike & give me a loaner whilst they do the work...

My own bike had ACF50 treatment, but still shows some signs of corrosion, the pillion foot rest brackets are what I remember. I would go out and photo the areas you mention, but the bike (RTLC '15) is in the dealers having the ESA rear shock replaced... The Dealer has lent me a 1600 Sport for a couple of weeks, it's okay but not as good as the RT.

I was hoping that I just had a Friday afternoon bike/not looked after demo bike but if you have gone to the trouble of using ACF50 I think I am fighting a losing battle here. Short of that dismantling the whole bike and coating the edges with one of those clear lacquers which you get with a car touch up paint set. I will need to use the bike through winter and don't want a pile of corrosion after a couple of years so I think the best bet is to take the cash and get an older RT. I know they have their own problems with footrest hanger plates and front engine casing corrosion, but they would be much easier to sort out.

like this?
10,000 miles, one year old..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 3,400
Nothing seen on my 2014 bike so far, 5000 miles coming up and rode all through winter. I AC50'd the bike along with a good rinse down normally within a couple hours of returning (commuting the A303)

Well just for balance mine is 7 months old done 10500 miles and still looks new. HOWEVER I have been very pedantic about cleaning the bike after winter rides. It never goes away dirty, always clean and just as important dry. I totally agree with OP that the bike is not fit for purpose in UK winters. The paint is crap. The waterborne paint on my Volvo is also crap. The new VOC free finishes are just not very durable. Just my opinion but OP if your not happy with your bike now you never will be, so try and go for a replacement. Best of luck.

R1200RT Corrosion

Well, it's really decision time. I do really look after my bikes and sadly spend more time either riding or cleaning the bikes than with the kids.
The fact it was a demo didn't help so I am going to see if the dealer can source me a low mileage one and I can put a few quid towards it to see if they can get a 2015, then I will be using the services of all year biker to get it properly ACF 50'd.
To be honest, it was the last 2 posters who made my mind up, if as I intend to do they use their bikes through the winter then I will take a gamble....

Back
Top Bottom