Parking for car & trailer in Lake District

ballistic

I ain't got no stinkin' visa!
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My son has just taken up trail riding, and he's meeting up with some others in The Lakes on the weekend of 7th-8th August.
He's looking for somewhere to safely park his car & trailer for a couple of nights. The group have got special dispensation to ride the bridleway up to the bunkhouse at Scafell House, which will be their base.
So, somewhere in the Keswick/Cockermouth area would be ideal, rather than Wasdale/Ennerdale :D
Any offer/suggestions would be much appreciated :thumby:

I Cannot help with where to park, however from past experience leaving trailer and vehicle for a long period has caused us issues, we had trailer tyre slashed, let down and having a bike trailer on usually gives the game away that you may not be local, I invested in a folding bike trailer that way when it's in the boot and the car parked up it don't stand out.

I Cannot help with where to park, however from past experience leaving trailer and vehicle for a long period has caused us issues, we had trailer tyre slashed, let down and having a bike trailer on usually gives the game away that you may not be local, I invested in a folding bike trailer that way when it's in the boot and the car parked up it don't stand out.

Yes, this is exactly why I'm looking for a "safe" place for him to park. We have a friend in Southport who would be happy to look after the car & trailer, but that is still 120 miles away from where he has to go... not a good start for a pair of brand new enduro tyres, not to mention the affect of a hard seat on a soft bum :eek:

I would agree with Blueranger, try a campsite. There is one in Braithwaite just outside Keswick on the A66 and at least one in portinscale also just off the A66. You could also try Hawse end hostel and outdoor centre (Google for no). It's about 3 mile from A66 on the road from Portinscale towards Catbells hill - think they have a fair bit of space. The lakes in August is going to be packed with tourists so most on street parking will be taken and not all that secure tbh. I don't have any contacts up that end of the county unfortunatel to be able to suggest anything else, sorry!

I would agree with Blueranger, try a campsite. There is one in Braithwaite just outside Keswick on the A66 and at least one in portinscale also just off the A66. You could also try Hawse end hostel and outdoor centre (Google for no). It's about 3 mile from A66 on the road from Portinscale towards Catbells hill - think they have a fair bit of space. The lakes in August is going to be packed with tourists so most on street parking will be taken and not all that secure tbh. I don't have any contacts up that end of the county unfortunatel to be able to suggest anything else, sorry!

Thanks for that.. some food for thought there, and a little investigation required :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom