Hilltop remap on my R12RT WC - the results

It would be good know if it meets Euro 3, 4 or whatever BMW claim. It is of course possible that BMW go for a higher rating than the one required in the Europe so that it is ready for the next level of emissions requirements. If they have gone for a higher rating than the current legislation requires in some jurisdictions then it may be possible to re-map and stay within some countries requirements but not others.

My guess is that it is emissions only that drive this lean running requirement so if you re-map then emissions must increase so really one needs to do a before and after test to make proper sense of it all.

With the cost involved, future regulations are considered to avoid further re engineering early on in the design,
Lower compression and turbocharging is the way cars approach the co2 and other stringent regulation,
Along with clutched main coolant pumps and oil pumps that drop pressure under acellerating all to reduce drag,
Luckily bike regulation is way behind, so the current design as you say gives us some room to optimise within the rules
The low ash lower viscosity oils for the wc also contribute,

With the cost involved, future regulations are considered to avoid further re engineering early on in the design,
Lower compression and turbocharging is the way cars approach the co2 and other stringent regulation,
Along with clutched main coolant pumps and oil pumps that drop pressure under acellerating all to reduce drag,
Luckily bike regulation is way behind, so the current design as you say gives us some room to optimise within the rules
The low ash lower viscosity oils for the wc also contribute,

Currently I believe that bikes do not have emissions tested as part of the MOT - when it is introduced a re-mapped bikes could have a problem but until then if you don't care about emissions then one can get away with re-mapping for optimum performance?

Back
Top Bottom