Hilltop remap on my R12RT WC - the results

Puggy

Reaction score
I went to visit Geoff at Hill Top for a remap on my 2014 R1200RT WC with 5200 miles on the clock. You can see the attached printout. The green lines are the original run. It was producing 97hp and 76 torques and was running very lean, especially on the offside cylinder (apparently very common on BMWs). After the remap it produces 113hp with 87 torques. The translates in practical terms to much more low down and mid range power (very noticeable) and it runs much more smoothly especially at higher revs. I haven't done enough miles to really to assess any change in fuel consumption. I have also been enjoying the power and playing with the revs (Geoff says my bike is still very tight above 6000 rpm and needs revving) so i would expect the consumption to rise in the short term.

I came with two friends - one had a 2010 air cooled GSA (which was running really lean) and he reckons it is much smoother, quicker and fuel efficient. The other bike is a 2014 GSA Tonka Toy thing and this produced approx 89hp at the rear wheel, and Geoff took it to 113hp - that's a huge uplift. He is absolutely delighted and is planning to take his new K1300S in.

As regards dealers over writing the map, Geoff says that the software has been designed in such a way that if the dealer tries to flash the ECU, the ECU will accept the update, return a success code and ignore the update. As regards the dealer being able to prove that the ECU has been remapped, Geoff says that the only way the ECU can be interrogated successfully is if the actual unit is returned to the BMW factory and the factory codes are submitted. At this point, the software will detect these factory codes and will reset the software back to the default map....

So - in all, a happy customer. Geoff is a really nice chap and very welcoming and it was a really enjoyable morning spent chatting about bikes whilst he worked away. Top tip - bring a themos of coffee as Geoff needs to invest in a coffee machine!

So, a thumbs up from me.

puggy

Attachments

• R12RTWC remap_00000.jpg
    R12RTWC remap_00000.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,680
Nice one Puggy

Looks like the remap gives good results on the RTLC then. :thumb2

I've never had any of my bikes remapped, as i've always been skeptical of the claimed HP increases etc...
However, on the back of your report, I'm now thinking of getting my RT Hilltopped (and maybe my Ducati also).

I believe it costs £350 for the remap, or a few quid less if do a group booking.

Any negative impact on the MPG? I am getting 56 at the moment from my LC and wonder if the remap will affect it.

Any negative impact on the MPG? I am getting 56 at the moment from my LC and wonder if the remap will affect it.

I have been wondering about that. I reckoned pre-remap that I got about 56mpg as well, and I have ridden the bike over 900 miles last week over a mixture of typical roads that I would normally do, and it has averaged about 56mpg again. So I reckon consumption is largely unchanged.

My friend on his 2010 air cooled 12GS (is that what they call a hex head?) reckons that his fuel consumption his improved dramatically. He does huge mileages each year as he uses it for work commuting between jobs all over southern and central UK (maybe 20,000 miles a year!). He reports that he gets 220 miles a tank, up from 170....
Puggy

Any ideas whats available for a 2007 RT?

I had my 07 plate done two years ago.

Very pleased with the result. It will pull a higher gear everywhere without chugging and feels quicker when nailed. I am however sceptical of the dyno print-out as the pre/post results were presented using different measures to show the increase.

I have no doubts that I'd do the same again.

I had my 07 plate done two years ago.

Very pleased with the result. It will pull a higher gear everywhere without chugging and feels quicker when nailed. I am however sceptical of the dyno print-out as the pre/post results were presented using different measures to show the increase.

I have no doubts that I'd do the same again.

Is your's standard apart from the remap...? I am going to get it done on my 07 and want to keep the rest standard... I love the bike but it feels breatheless at sub 3.5 k revs, especially in the higher gears... Too much buggering about between 5th and 6th at 60-80 to keep it balanced in the corners...

Is your's standard apart from the remap...? I am going to get it done on my 07 and want to keep the rest standard... I love the bike but it feels breatheless at sub 3.5 k revs, especially in the higher gears... Too much buggering about between 5th and 6th at 60-80 to keep it balanced in the corners...

Apart from the remap the engine is standard.

Had my RTLC Remapped by Hilltop yesterday….and…..i’m very pleased with the result.
More usable power and torque through the entire rev range, and especially the extra 30ftlbs between 2000 – 4000 rpm.

My bike pulls like a train right from tickover to the red-line, brilliant.
The fuelling is now spot-on, as it was running lean before.

Numbers (at the wheel) before the Remap
98.2bhp
78.8 ftlb Torque

And after…nice and smooth curves and a big dollop of low and midrange Torque.
116.77bhp
90.07ftlb Torque

Before

After

Combined

My bike is standard spec. except for an Akrapovic end can. with 8000+ miles on her.

Average mpg riding up (120miles of mostly fast M/way) was 48mpg

Return journey (same roads, but very strong headwind) was 48.5mpg

yes, it takes about an hour, depending on how much you keep him chatting :augie

Back
Top Bottom