Ear Monitors ?

IJGser

Reaction score
Looking at getting some custom in ear monitors to use with my iPhone etc :rolleyes:

Ideally need to block out other noise (like earplugs would) and be day long comfortable with a 3.5mm jack.

It would be great if i could listen to spoken word stuff with a little more clarity than my current bluetooth set up.

And before the H&S brigade get all exited, believe me listening to the voices in my head on long runs is more dangerous to society as a whole :eek:

Any help or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I have ultimate ear custom plugs with speakers. Not cheap but well worth it.

As a bonus they're also handy when by the pool on holiday and you want to listen to music and stop the sound of screaming kids!

I'm on a constant quest for better quality audio in my helmet.
I considered UE, but there were so many reports about poor quality and dreadful customer service (here and elsewhere) that I never invested.

I could go through the set-ups I've tried and the money I've spent, but the bottom line is that I've never yet found anything that meets my needs.

Micky does them. Just bought a pair of the non speaker type from him. He does do the type you are looking for too.

Micky does them. Just bought a pair of the non speaker type from him. He does do the type you are looking for too.

Thanks John :thumb

Yes, I do custom molded earplugs, plain, with filters, or sound system. 3.5mm plug, no microphone, purely for listening to your iPod/MP3 or GPS maybe.

They are the airtube system, whereby the speakers are at chest height with air tubes (like a stethoscope) taking the sound up to your lugs. They will not reproduce sound like a speaker actually embedded within the earplug itself ... there will be some loss of quality. But you aint gonna get a full Bose Surround System on a motorcycle at 70mph no matter how much you look for it :eek:

BUT ... there are no wires to fracture as they leave the earplug ;)

Have a look

:beerjug:

Ultimate Ear

I have ultimate ear custom plugs with speakers. Not cheap but well worth it.

As a bonus they're also handy when by the pool on holiday and you want to listen to music and stop the sound of screaming kids!

:agree - on both counts.

There were some problems with UE a few years ago but they seem to have sorted the cabling issues now.

Love my UE ones they turned them round in a couple of days and modded my Schuberth bluetooth collar to take them

I bought some from Mercury Hearing at the Manchester bike show, and they are really good, very comfy and delivered in 2 weeks after the show. Had I actually done my homework beforehand though, I'd have gone with Mickey and kept it in the family (so to speak)

http://www.mercuryhearing.com/

I've had a set of Ultimate Ear 'Sound Ears' for 5 y'ears' now.....excellent product & sound reproduction.

I've also h'ear'd excellent reports on Micky's product too.....

:D

Another thumbs up for UE SoundEars...

Amazing sound quality and extremely good noise reduction. I've bought a Cardo Scala G9X which has a 3.5mm plug rather than the fixed speakers and use the soundears via bluetooth to my iphone and zumo.

If you want to do that it's well worth buying the split cable option which gives you a nice short cable so it doesn't flap around too much if you're using a BT headset.

Another vote for Micky. Great product, good value and a bonus that he is of this Parish. I was initially a bit unsure about using air tubes but the sound quality it plenty good enough for on the bike. I feel they are more robust too.

Regards,

Matt

Micky is the way to go.

I've had:

Ultimate Ear - comfortable, but cord broke at the speaker.
Shure - flange type buds not so comfortable or effective at noise blocking, cord broke inside speaker.
Other speakers with flanges, same as Shure.
Sensorcom - customfit, very comfrotable, good quality, cord broke just inside speaker.

Micky's - comfortable, good sound quality (no, no the best, but as he says, at decent speeds quality doesn't matter, you want volume) Adaptable, you can actually cobble up different, more powerful speakers to the tubes if you want. Had mine I thin 4 years now, done many long tours with them, all day long comfort, and as a tinnitus sufferer they help to alleviate and soften wind roar/road noise too.

Worth the money, and you get a decent cuppa while you wait. :D

I use PLUGZZ http://www.plugzz.co.uk/, they are local to me & also do shows around the UK.

Called in today, Paul is really professional, he gave my ears a clean bill of health before taking impressions to make the Hearing Protectors from.

Having used them previously, yes, I would recommend them.

My wife has the Nanocomms for use with an Autocom System on the Bike.

I use quality conventional ear buds - my fav are Sennheiser CX series (I have CX180 for £20 from Tesco's) also had CX200 which were good also. Fit well and all day comfy for me. Routed through my Hi-Viz to the 660 cable on my left handle bar. I much prefer this to a Shuberth C3 bluetooth collar. I don't want to be totally sealed, happy with ear buds then put on a thin neck warmer around my head that keep them in position and adds a little noise supression / stops the helmet from getting sweaty.

Back
Top Bottom