A little Welsh insider help needed

motor_mad_man

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi there, me and my misses will be travelling over for 3 days in the brecon beacons. We have a hotel booked in Abergavenny for one night then 2 nights in ilandovery.

Help is needed for routes and possible things to see in the area. Also we are looking at spending a day in Cardigan, to see the castle and to go on a boat tour an see some dolphins, so I would like some pointers on where to park both bikes safely.

Cardigan is not like London. You could probably leave your keys in the bike and it would still be there when you get back to it.

The main A40 from Llandovery to Abergavenny is very scenic but the journey takes an hour.

Many of the most scenic routes are on single track roads. None of them are very long. Just get a map and string them together to make a circular route. If you don't fancy that type of road then the main roads are also scenic but the traffic will be denser and there will speed limits that may be enforced.

You could spend a whole day exploring the area around the Elan Valley if you want to take a picture on every corner or walk to the top of a hill. You can ride a 300 mile circuit to include Snowdonia. Without some sort of clue on whether you want to spend your time riding the bike or wandering around in a cavern with pretty dangly bits, it's difficult to make recommendations. Just go to the visitwales website - they are very good at marketing the touristy stuff if that is what you want.

What I would recommend is that you have a plan A and a plan B to accommodate differing weather and volume of tourists. You can have heavy rain in the Brecon Beacons and bright sunshine on the coast and vice versa. Be flexible and go with the flow. Some touristy things are best avoided on bank holiday weekends or in school holidays.

I presume you have little John post from a couple of weeks ago. My run will give you a GOODALL days ride to Llandovery. Lots to see and fantastic scenery. You can do it ifully loaded too.

Llandovery - llandielo-Tally-Aberaeron ( nice quay side lovely chippy) Cardigan
List is endless, do as Wessie says. Also do a search on the Wales section for more ideas.
Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom