***Please Note*** you can not create threads directly in this section. This section is made up of threads that have been moved here from other areas of the site

Thread: Air temp display

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Air temp display

Hi all.
    Hope someone can help, I have a minor issue on my 2006 R1200GSA
    I noticed that my air temp display on the bike computer now just displays blank dashes (no temp read out)
    I have swapped out the pointed sensor /sender unit with another bike and my old senser works fine on the other bike and the fault still remains on my display.

If this is an info only function, it's not to much of a big deal, but does this temp sensor adjust fueling at differant temps.

I did notice that my bike revs were searching when I was at high altitude last year, doing the mountain passes in Europe (my mates GSA was fine). Could it be connected.

Have had a Hilltop remap last month ready for a 3 week European tour in June so just preping the bike

Any thoughts.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Evening bump

As you know It only works with the engine running (on my 2011anyway) so rather than the sensor itself/sensor wiring being faulty it could be the circuit /logic that tells the ECU "as the engine is now running display the temperature" is faulty. I haven't a clue how this works, and even less of a clue on a Canbus system. Just a thought though. I also don't know if the ECU uses the outside temp to adjust fuelling. I do know when I have had the bike on a GS911 various temperatures fo show up including air box temp, oil, manifold and more so I would assume the ECU is taking all these into account.

Poor running at altitude is normally due to the reduced volume of air not the temperature.

Have you got access to a GS911 to see if there's any fault codes held?

Not much help I'm afraid and good luck sorting it.

I'm not sure about this but I don't think the bike uses the info from that sensor for anything other than to warn of ice if the temp gets below 3 degrees. For fueling mix it will take the temp from the air box sensor. On my '08 the temp will show with just the ignition on and no engine running.

Thanks for the replies, have checked it with the engine running and still get no display, just the 3 dashes. As I've already swapped out the sensor I think I will check the wiring connecting the main loom and see if I am find an issue. If not then I'm just gonna live with the problem.
    Thanks Guys.

When you swapped sensors. You said yours worked on another bike. Did that other bike's sensor work on yours? If not then definitely a problem with your bike.

Another thought - the remap. Did it start immediately after that? I am not sure how a remap could affect things, but they are buggering about with ECU logic so its a possibility.

No the other bike sensor didn't work on my bike, so definitely not the sensor.
    The problem was there before the re maps I not the remap. Think it's a wiring issue as against a sensor or display issue.

The little sensor under the oil cooler, is the ambient air temp sensor, only for reporting outside air temp (ice warning etc)

looking at the parts diagram you have two additional engine temps sensors on the cylinder heads

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_2977

may help

Mart

Mart, I've had a similar fault with the sump low oil sensor on my 2008 GSA which I thought was my ecu. I had tested the sensor and proved the loom continuity, and also linked out the sensor yet the fault remained. In the end I discovered the fault purely by chance, it was the connector in the loom, the pins were pushing back into the holder on assembly rather than making contact.

I would start by closely inspecting the sensor connector and socket for loose or sliding terminals.
    ADAM

2008 R1200GSA
    2011 Yamaha Tmax