Tall screens

Adam800GS

Reaction score
Which is the best to go for, an alternative or the BMW? Would just like to reduce the buffeting!

Which is the best to go for, an alternative or the BMW? Would just like to reduce the buffeting!

Depends on your height and probably your lid. I've been through a fair few combinations and have settled on a Wunderlich (sp??) vario with the addition of a lip (cant repember the make but can let you know if you want). I'm 6'2" and this set up suits me great. Open visor at 80ish buffeting is minimal. If your looking at options and arnt as tall as me then a Givi screen seems to be a good choice (mate of mine uses one and he's happy with his, he's about 5'9". I have one in the shed that I bought from here in as new condition if your interested?

Stick a taller screen on and the chances are you'll INCREASE buffeting.

Do a search here on 'buffeting' :beerjug:

I use the BMW touring screen and a laminar lip seems quiet enough now with very little buffeting but without the lip the air from the screen is directly in your face what works for one person may not work for someone else

I'm 6ft and have a puig screen with adjustable top piece and it's much much better with a lot less buffeting and noise. Really very pleased with it.:thumb

MRA?

As Christos says it depends on your height and how you sit on the bike. I tried tall screens and the Wunderlich barn door screens which they kindly lent me. Both made things worse.

Best I found was the MRA screen which is quite small but gave me 'clean' air. I'm 5'10" and was on a standard seat if that helps at all:)

Thank you gentleman, most useful. I'm 6'1" riding on a standard seat, maybe a lower seat would help in combination to the taller screen. Anyway, appreciate your comments.

Thank you gentleman, most useful. I'm 6'1" riding on a standard seat, maybe a lower seat would help in combination to the taller screen. Anyway, appreciate your comments.
The BMW low seat is a instrument of torture and at 6'1" will make the bike very cramped

I had a Givi tall screen which worked better than the standard screen. I then bought a Givi Airflow which was way better (in my opinion).
I still have the tall screen, if you want to try. I'm just down the road in Farnborough.

On a previous, but similar, thread I replied:

I have a screen from WRS Evotech in Italy which is similar to the BMW 'touring' screen but is taller, wider and a lot more weather protection and, unlike the BM screen, doesn't throw all the muck & bullets straight into your visor.
Plus its only 115 euros. :thumb2
What's not to like?
Check them out and see what you think.

Hope that helps.

Depends on your height and probably your lid. I've been through a fair few combinations and have settled on a Wunderlich (sp??) vario with the addition of a lip (cant repember the make but can let you know if you want). I'm 6'2" and this set up suits me great. Open visor at 80ish buffeting is minimal. If your looking at options and arnt as tall as me then a Givi screen seems to be a good choice (mate of mine uses one and he's happy with his, he's about 5'9". I have one in the shed that I bought from here in as new condition if your interested?

Hi Christos - can you let me know what lip you have. I ride an F800gs and have just installed a Wunderlich ergo vario screen and am also 6' 2". The screen doesn't work for me at all, the buffeting around my head is pretty grim at any speed. I'm now thinking of spending more money on a deflector - this one here - but am wary of spending good money after bad. Anymore advice (maybe a picture showing me your set up) would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Jimmy

On a previous, but similar, thread I replied:

I have a screen from WRS Evotech in Italy which is similar to the BMW 'touring' screen but is taller, wider and a lot more weather protection and, unlike the BM screen, doesn't throw all the muck & bullets straight into your visor.
Plus its only 115 euros. :thumb2
What's not to like?
Check them out and see what you think.

Hope that helps.

Is this it http://www.wrs.sm/en/windscreens/40...za-caponord-fume-wrs-bmw-f-800-gs-bm9004.html

Hi, mine is actually the one in the smaller pictures with the vent near the top...but apart from that - Yep, that's the one.
Nice good quality screen for not a lot of dosh compared to most others.
I say, Go for It.

SuperTed

I ordered a bracket for my OEM touring screen, not cheap, but cheaper than starting again.

Hi Christos - can you let me know what lip you have. I ride an F800gs and have just installed a Wunderlich ergo vario screen and am also 6' 2". The screen doesn't work for me at all, the buffeting around my head is pretty grim at any speed. I'm now thinking of spending more money on a deflector - this one here - but am wary of spending good money after bad. Anymore advice (maybe a picture showing me your set up) would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Jimmy

Hi All
Thought I'd provide a bit of feedback following experimentation with screens and solid advice from Christos X. Given its quite a mission for taller riders to find the right wind protection I hope feedback below helps.

Using the wunderlich vario screen, I added the wunderlich vario deflector. Though I know some get on well with this deflector I was personally pretty disappointed with it. I found it that even fully extended I was still getting a pretty full wind blast around the top half of my lid. I also found the metal clamp visually obstructive, maybe I would have got over this with time.

The deflector is now in bits on the A13 somewhere - I daftly forgot to tighten the locknut after adjusting it... whoooosh it went, lucky not to clobber me or anyone else. A waste of money but a blessing as well because I then invested in an MRA sports deflector, same one as Christos X. Overall it works a lot better than the wunderlich. I get some lid wind judder at higher speeds but overall it does the business and my head is protected a lot more. Without the big metal clamp I find it far less obstructive than the wunderlich.

Hope this helps.
Jimmy

After several months deliberation I eventually opted for the Wunderlich vario screen. Have to say it's very good and in comparison with the existing short piece of perspex, is a delight. That said, it's not perfect, but don't think any are as it's not a full fairing to keep everything off. V nice not to have to clean my helmet and visor after every ride now too.

Back
Top Bottom