Serious medical issue.......needing advice on best boots please?

(RIP) mainescots

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As a result of serious neuropathy because of sustained chemotherapy, I could not feel that my alleged waterproof boots were NOT waterproof....

Thankfully did not ride too far before realising the problem but now, MUST find a better option.

Can anyone advise please? Which brand? Which waterproofing material? Goretex?
Alpinestars, Halvarssons, Alt-berg, Daytona?
Many thanks

You need an expert for this one. Calling Stolzy :rolleyes:

You could do a lot worse than get a pair of daytona's. Mine have never leaked .

Or might be better to buy sealskin socks you wont have to worry then even if the boots leak your feet will stay dry.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks All for the advice so far

Had always heard good things about the Daytona's and will look at them ASAP.

Actually have a pair of Alt-Berg's that I should have worn to Applecross.

The W2 Adventure boots look the part as well and whichever is best will prevent me from having to stop riding if the weather forecast looks dire.

Thanks All.

Daytona every time ...
Daytona every time ...
Daytona every time ...

:beerjug:

Daytonas! Comfy like slippers, last years and years, waterproof, strong. And don't mark the thin shitty LC frame paintwork! So thumbs up from me!

My TCX Infinity boots were on the same trip as you and never leaked a drop....

Thanks Gerard. It was quite worrying upon arrival in Inverness. Used to be, I could always feel as the boots gave up their waterproofing but this time.....nothing!
Will look at the Daytona's and your TCX's

Another vote for Daytonas, the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. I bought a pair of Alpinestars SMX a few years ago and for some reason sometimes they would rub my ankle bone and make it so sore I developed a limp. I persevered for about 4 years thinking they would bed in but no.

No trouble with the Daytonas, as someone said they fit like a pair of slippers and they have a Goretex liner.

Daytonas. I tested a pair of 12 year old ones by standing in a stream for a while. Not a sign of dampness in the boots even though the soles are in pretty poor shape after years of using pegs without rubbers.

Love my goretex sidi adventures - not leaked in 3 years and I've been in heavy heavy rain and rivers too!

Daytona's for me, currently 6 years into my Gator GTX's, Warm, Comfortable and totally leak free. Nice and comfy for wandering around off the bike as well. Like slippers after you have broken them in.

Chemo is a real bastard and peripheral neuropathies cause lots of ongoing problems. In addition to other's suggestions I think you should pay attention to what is inside your boot - good quality socks and/or waterproof socks - to protect your feet from pressure areas and cold as well as moisture. Sorry to sound a bit obvious but the boot should be chosen on its comfort as well as waterproofing - most people buy shoes and boots which are too small so think about trying a size bigger than you are used to.

Back
Top Bottom