800 over 1200?

agfoxx

Reaction score
My old 1200GS has been poorly (speedo/ABS issue).
BMW very kindly gave me a loan bike while they're working on my workhorse. A brand new 800GS, with 200 miles on the clock.
And you know what? I love it. I was thinking of getting a newer bike - and I can very easily see myself getting one.
For context: my bike has 67K on the clock. I use it mainly for commuting 80 miles a day - but also for fun, of course.
I've now had the 800GS for two days and done two days' worth of commuter runs. I've also done a couple of local twisty roads.
I love everything, except: a) seat, b) screen, c) engine vibes. Surely a) and b) are easy to fix, and c) to me, is not that big a deal.
I did a test ride on a watercooled 1200GS once, and I thought it was quite good - but not "I want it now" kind of good.
What am I doing wrong? Would anybody in their right mind go for an 800GS over a 1200GS?

I'd seriously think about it. I rode one and thought it was a good bike.

The yin and the yang (the bottom line) is engine displacement. Big CC gives a lazy riding style (in a good way) where that big motor can pull along pretty effortlessly and make a ride seem .... well .... lazy ... easy ... less tiring ..... smooth and fast.

The smaller CC though, means lighter, more flickable, and potentially more fun. Yeah you've got to work it harder, but the reward for buzzing up and down the gears and using the revs is everything we as motorcyclists enjoy about the whole riding experience. It's engaging and sticks a smile on yer face.

I can't speak for Micky, (he'll tell you his own reasons why he got one), but certainly if I was older, didn't want a big heavy bike anymore, wasn't taking a pillion so much, but, still had the teenage brain that enjoys a good thrash .... I'd go smaller CC. And the 800 would be a serious contender for that. (Reasonably handy with a pair of TKC's on as well ..... :thumb2)

I'm lucky enough to have both. The 800 is great fun but prone to side winds (due to the 21" wheel) and fork dive. It needs to have the suspension set up properly - hyperpro springs did it for me. The 800 also wears its weight quite high in comparison to the 1200. Gently shake the handle bars at any speed to see what I mean. The 800 engine is peach but under powered compared to the 1200. the 1200 is my bike for long distance touring - I can sit on it all day have taken it on tours that I would not really consider taking the 800. If I only had one bike it would be the 1200.
Alan R

I have one in gsa guise 99.99% positive down side tubes in tyers. Pain at puncture time. JJH

I'd seriously think about it. I rode one and thought it was a good bike.

The yin and the yang (the bottom line) is engine displacement. Big CC gives a lazy riding style (in a good way) where that big motor can pull along pretty effortlessly and make a ride seem .... well .... lazy ... easy ... less tiring ..... smooth and fast.

The smaller CC though, means lighter, more flickable, and potentially more fun. Yeah you've got to work it harder, but the reward for buzzing up and down the gears and using the revs is everything we as motorcyclists enjoy about the whole riding experience. It's engaging and sticks a smile on yer face.

I can't speak for Micky, (he'll tell you his own reasons why he got one), but certainly if I was older, didn't want a big heavy bike anymore, wasn't taking a pillion so much, but, still had the teenage brain that enjoys a good thrash .... I'd go smaller CC. And the 800 would be a serious contender for that. (Reasonably handy with a pair of TKC's on as well ..... :thumb2)

Ah, yes, the pillion. That might be an issue. My wife and I do "big rides" once a year or so. I've been trying to convince her to get a licence, but so far it hasn't worked out.

Ah, yes, the pillion. That might be an issue. My wife and I do "big rides" once a year or so. I've been trying to convince her to get a licence, but so far it hasn't worked out.

Yer going to get people replying that there 800gs is fine two up, but ..... yes ..... as you've already alluded to .... I wouldn't want to go to Spain and back two up on an 800. That's where yer big CC scores. I'd happily do it solo though avoiding long days on the motorway ...

Rode the 800GS this afternoon, in 25 knot winds. It was certainly a handful, compared to the 1200. Made life rather interesting. But not unmanageable.

I went from a 1200 to an 800, then back to a 1200. "C" on your list was to much for me, the frequency left me numb. I fitted a Britannia composites screen and a touratech seat which cured "A" & "B" but couldn't cure "C" whatever I tried. Now on a 650 Xchallenge, still vibrates but it doesn't make me numb like the 800 did.

The 800 is blown around quite a lot strangely the 650 now 700 does not get blown around much at all when riding the bikes back to back. The seat and screen can be changed and one extra tooth on the front sprocket (From a F650GS) helps the vibrations at touring speeds.

I went from a 1200gsa to a 800GS its strange at first but I would not go back now unless 2 up touring was going to be a regular thing The 800 goes well enough to keep up with a two up WC on A roads so fast enough for solo touring

1150GS to 800GS...

...is what I did - and it is one of my better biking decisions.
Rode a 1200GS in South Africa a few years ago and...didn't like it (indrawn breaths and surprised exclamations).
Rode an 800GS and bought it as soon as I got back to the dealer - they're Great!
First thing I did with it was ride to Orkney with my Jan (5'6" of loveliness) on the pillion. All the things I've read about the 800's not being suitable for 2-up work can only be from people who a) never take a pillion, or b) don't know how to ride with a pillion.
1600 miles through Scotland and never a complaint from the rear seat and the bike lapped up the Scottish roads and kept up with a mate riding solo on a K1 - and he admitted that there were times he had to try hard to stay in front.
Everything is personal preference but the thing that they all need is a decent seat. I have a Sergent seat on mine and it is night&day compared to the original.
Get the bike you want, get a decent seat and just go for it.

I can't speak for Micky, (he'll tell you his own reasons why he got one), but certainly if I was older ....

Feck off youngun :D

The engine of the 800 is addictive ... yes it loves the revs, but it also pulls like a steam train in high gear and low revs.

I have one in gsa guise 99.99% positive down side tubes in tyers. Pain at puncture time. JJH

Mmmm t'was my first thoughts JJH, but in reality, with 112,000 miles on the old gal, two overland six month trips on tubed tyred bikes; it really really really isn't a problem :p

Yer going to get people replying that there 800gs is fine two up, but ..... yes ..... as you've already alluded to .... I wouldn't want to go to Spain and back two up on an 800.

Well that all depends on the size of the two participants doesn't it kid :D

:beerjug:

I have bought an F800 GS to take to South America

Kineo wheels will give you the tubeless option
Tractive suspension gives it full adjustment
Sargent seat gives comfort
Desierto screen sorts wind issues

Very happy with mine.
I do have a 1200GSA LC also but after riding the F800 may sell the GSA.

Thanks all, this is really useful. I'll let you know how I get on. I'm supposed to be picking up my 1200 later today, so I'll be able to compare and to see what it feels like, to go from 800 to 1200.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/cars/dp/B009K1RJGS

Tubed tyres are also much easier to change in my experience. You can also carry a spare 21" front with you that can be used in the rear too if needed.

Agreed :thumb

I carry an aerosol (Motul but other makes available) of sealant/inflation.

Used a couple of times over the years, with total success. Pull the offending nail out, let the remaining air out, connect aerosol .... sorted :thumb

I have a 1200gs ( 2007 ) and it suits my riding style - 'lazy power' and if pressed will 'pick its skirt up' just fine. Most roads you will ride on the limiting factor is how fast its safe to go and the 1200 is plenty entertaining enough for me. As posted by Giles, it is the better bike for 2 up riding and distance work IMHO. Micky may disagree but then we are all different and its what suits you.

I had the same issue with the 'buzzy' engine on a loaner I had for a weekend - just couldn't live with that every day.
It also lacks the hassle free drivetrain of the 1200 ( mine have all been super reliable ) and I've had them for C.15 years now.

Update the thread when you have decided :beer:

I have a 1200gs ( 2007 ) it is the better bike for 2 up riding and distance work IMHO. Micky may disagree but then we are all different and its what suits you.

I had the same issue with the 'buzzy' engine on a loaner I had for a weekend

Undoubtedly the 1200 is better for two up riding or distance work Chris ... goes without saying :thumb

But being as I never travel two up, and having all the time in the world ... any distance work is done via the little back roads, with a few extra days thrown in :D:D

Horses for courses I guess :thumb

Got to say also, mine certainly isn't buzzy ... super smooth in fact. Quite often loan bike's need their chain tensioning properly, maybe has tight spots ... always the least looked after bikes in my opinion :p

Back
Top Bottom