1 day in Wales...

iPeteL

Reaction score
I'm plotting a (long) day trip to Wales from London. Sheer mileage is not a concern for me; finding good roads is my priority.

Any tips for where to go for the best roads, ideally amidst the most barrent/mountainous Welsh wilderness I can find and perhaps even the odd fire road so that I can utilise the Anakee tyres before I ditch them for something quieter...! I may be tempted to find a B&B for the night, but a day blast would be ideal.

Thanks in advance.

M4's quite good ...... give us a clue where in Wales you intend going. North South West not forgetting East :beerjug:

Mid Wales gives you most choice. My suggestions.....

A44 from Worcester the Cafe at Crossgates near Llandrindod Wells for breakfast. Then take the A483 to Newport. Then A470 to Dolgellau but take the A487 just before you get to Dolgellau and follow it through Machynlleth to Tal-y-bont. Take a left in T-Y-B just before a filling station and you are onto very minor mountain roads that will take you past Nant-y-Moch reservoir. There are a green lanes a plenty around here so take an OS map or there's forestry if you fancy a bit of trespass. From N-Y-M head south is towards Devils Bridge (lunch?) and leave on the B4574 towards Cwnystwyth. More remote roads heading down into the Elan Valley reservoirs. Head for Rhayader and pick up the A470 through Bulith Wells to Brecon where you can pick the A40 back East.

Have a great trip

A 44 to Aberystwyth is good.

M4's quite good ...... give us a clue where in Wales you intend going. North South West not forgetting East :beerjug:

No idea where I'm going yet - north, south, east or west...wherever's good will suit me!

Thanks Austin - looks relaly good. Whats'the likelihood of getting into trouble if exploring some forestry areas...?? And, more importantly perhaps, how much trouble could I get into?

Trouble encountered in the forests will depend on who owns it so will vary from a bollocking to having your bike confiscated!

The above idea is good given your time constraint.

If you can fit in a night stay you will have a much better time, plenty of nice roads and views, would be a shame to rush it.

Hello,

Search on here for micro adventures. There's a post from 03 11 2014. I stuck some routes up from a weekender I did to wales staying away from the main traffic.

Head to mid wales, from the brecons to the southern tip of the snowdonia national park. There are brilliant, twisty and mostly quiet roads everywhere. The Brecons has lots of narrow, deserted lanes. Theres a great mountain road from llanwrtyd wells to tregaron and more from llandovery up past the llyn brianne reservoir. The road over the black mountains from monmouth towards hay on wye is good too.

If you stay a night and want to escape from it all, I can recommend the youth hostel at llanducent at the west end of the brecons. Take your own food mind or theres a pub a mile away.

Donnie.

A44 from Worcester the Cafe at Crossgates near Llandrindod Wells for breakfast. Then take the A483 to Newport. Then A470 to Dolgellau but take the A487 just before you get to Dolgellau and follow it through Machynlleth to Tal-y-bont. Take a left in T-Y-B just before a filling station and you are onto very minor mountain roads that will take you past Nant-y-Moch reservoir. There are a green lanes a plenty around here so take an OS map or there's forestry if you fancy a bit of trespass. From N-Y-M head south is towards Devils Bridge (lunch?) and leave on the B4574 towards Cwnystwyth. More remote roads heading down into the Elan Valley reservoirs. Head for Rhayader and pick up the A470 through Bulith Wells to Brecon where you can pick the A40 back East.

Have a great trip

+1. :thumb2

Can't vouch for the off roady bits, but the rest is tried and tested. Enjoy!

This may be of interest.
This months, May/June Adventure Bike Rider has an article regarding Offa's Dyke . Which runs from Chepstow on the Severn Estuary up to Prestatyn on the north Wales coast. 176 Miles or there about. All on tarmac with the opportunity for some green laning if you wish. Have a nose, might just be what your after.
Cheers
James

+2
Living just on the border i use these roads a lot, good choice. The B4574 mountain road from Devil's Bridge Elan Valley is a narrow one but stunning views, you turn off before Rhayader to navigate a great road around all the dams.

Have a great trip

Outstanding route, Austin! 519 miles later, I'm home and soaking in the bath with a beer - great day on the GS! Didn't take an OS map, but, of the green lanes I found, I had a brilliant time. The Anakee IIIs do a surprisingly good job!

Have a great trip

Cracking thread, cheers guys!

I've booked myself the weekend off at the end of August and am planning a trip to Wales (from Guildford).
The aim is to land in Brecon either Friday night or Saturday morning and come back on Monday. This route will give me a good place to start....Thank you.

Cracking thread, cheers guys!

I've booked myself the weekend off at the end of August and am planning a trip to Wales (from Guildford).
The aim is to land in Brecon either Friday night or Saturday morning and come back on Monday. This route will give me a good place to start....Thank you.

Be careful on A roads as in Wales the police are very attentive. The A44 should not be ridden as far far better roads run nearly parallel. Leave it to the crutch rockets. Make sure you do Abergwesyn to Tregaron. No trip to mid Wales should miss it.����

Thanks MATKAT

An opportunity has arisen for a 1 night weekend pass next weekend so I'm looking at booking a camping slot in a YHA (forget the name) around the Brecons.
I'm setting off at the crack of sparrow on saturday and heading to see my folks in Lichfield first. Spot of lunch then heading across to Wales. I'll pick up the A49/A44 north of Leominster and will then turn to a few roads/routes mentioned here.

Think for my August trip I'm going to head up to the Snowdonia area. There's a YHA there which looks stunning.

Back
Top Bottom