Thread: New Michelin maps for France

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

New Michelin maps for France

Despite the ever encroaching tyranny of the GPS device, the good folk at Michelin have launched some new maps.

They are the 706 thro' 709 range, which between them divide France into four useful equal quarters, broadly speaking:

• 706 NW France, from roughly Amiens, due south to Clermont Ferrand / Limoges, embracing the whole of Normandy and Brittany.
    • 707 NE France, from roughly Calais / Lille / Strasbourg south as far as Dijon / Besancon, then west to roughly Rouen / Orleans.
    • 708 SW France, roughly Poitiers southwards, to embrace Clermont Ferrand, Montpellier and east as far as Pau.
    • 709 SE France, from Dijon / Besancon, south to Nice and westwards as far as Clermont Ferrand / Rodez / Montpellier.

They are at a useful scale of 1:500,000 with pretty good detail, right down to all but the smallest roads and villages; certainly more than good enough for any amount of imaginative planning and more detailed than Michelin's traditional 724 and 725 maps which split France into two halves north and south along the horizontal axis Nantes / Dijon, at a 1:1,000,000 scale.

Why are they good? Few people ever need a really detailed map for the whole of France for each trip they take. Where these maps do score is where bods really only want say the NE corner, as far south as Dijon and say maybe the SE corner to get themselves to the Med or French Alps, not needing to touch Brittany or the Pyraneees at all. Back them up with one of Michelin's very detailed 5 series maps for when you are at your destination and the job's as good as done.

Price £5.99 from any half decent map sellers or bookshop; so not much more than a pint of nasty lager and they'll last you longer, too. I bought mine from the ever fantastic Daunt's bookshop in Marylebone High Street, W1. If anyone ever needs books for their travels, it is THE place to go. Easy parking in the area on Sundays, too.

mechanical buffoon Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    The Wirral - where the nice people live... Or Manila.. where i work in online gaming
    I've ordered the set - thank you for the heads up
    luvvin it
    paypal.me/newboy

me too.. cheers wapping

Ditto !

yep me to cheers Wapping ordered all four direct from Michelin £5.99 each orders over £20 free delivery ! Well pleased

Ta....

mine came today via amazon..good stuff

Excellent - thanks for the info.
    The eastern set will do nicely for our September trip from Zebrugge to Corsica and back.

As usual I live exactly on the division of two maps.
    There can only be 11 and I'm one.

My pics

Picked these up too. Excellent maps.

I got them from Stanfords on Long Acre near Covent Garden in London. Absolutely the most fascinating place if you like maps. Huge collection of all kinds of maps. The also have a web shop at http://www.stanfords.co.uk/
    2015 K1300S Motorsport
    2008 R1200GSA - sold

Anyone know if the 722 map cover Belgium, Luxembourg and The Black Forest area of Germany?

Many thanks

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the heads up, just bought 706 & 707

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    Anyone know if the 722 map cover Belgium, Luxembourg and The Black Forest area of Germany?

Many thanks
    The map extends a bit over the eastern borders of France, though you'd be better of buying Michelin's bespoke Belgian / Luxembourg and the correct Germany maps.

Being Michelin, the company produces several German and several Benelux maps. Pick the ones that suit you best.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    The map extends a bit over the eastern borders of France, though you'd be better of buying Michelin's bespoke Belgian / Luxembourg and the correct Germany maps.

Being Michelin, the company produces several German and several Benelux maps. Pick the ones that suit you best.
    Cheers.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Are they the same ones I saw in an autoroute shop which had been plasticised?