South Dales ride

Sunny Jim

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Chipping in to help out with group-rides seeing as so many are now planning on coming to Mickey and Johnny's weekend.

I'll be concentrating mainly on the south of the Dales with a route that will take in sites such as:

Three Peaks
Ribblehead Viaduct
Malham Tarn
Malham Cove
Kilnsey Cragg
The Stridd
Bolton Abbey
Menwith Hill (If you like American-built listening posts!)
Scarr House Reservoir
Buttertubbs Pass (You'll really appreciate the Tour de France riders when you've been up and over here!)
Tan Hill
Aysgarth Falls
The epic dry-stone walls and barns scattered all around.

For those of you travelling to the area for the first time these sites and roads will give you a real taster of what we have here in good old Yorkshire!

This will be a steady ride of about 150 miles and will take 6 - 7 hrs which will include time for breaks/lunch and a bit of a walk-about to the likes of Malham Cove/The Stridd.

Aiming to leave Dent at 10.00am so ensure you are as full with juice as possible (R Johnny's thread) as Skipton will probably be our nearest fuel-stop.

Drop-off will be the order of the ride so will be looking for a tail-end to help out.

Oh and yes - we will include a few 'U' turns :rolleyes: and we probably will get lost but who cares:aidan

Jim McS

Hiya Jim,

I'm doing JB's ride but happy to be TEC for you if the days don't clash.

Cheers,

Phil

That's very kind of you Phil - thanks for the offer. (Should have mentioned this will be on the Saturday).

Good one Jim :thumby:

Edit ... I'd better put you on the list. Are you camping?

:beerjug:

I would like to sign please Jim.

Only possible get out for me would be if my decides to wife come (sunny weekend forecast required) and we'll do something more local.
Thanks for arranging in any event

Magnon

Oh yes - camping list please Micky....thanks.

Mag on - understood - thanks.

Out on a recce with the Mrs today ... Might see some of you on the roads:thumb2

Hi JIm..id like to join in on this please…i live near preston so is it possible to join up on route ? Skipton ? rather than go all the way to Dent to ride back down !!! do you have a pre ride route planned map ?

Back in after a cracking run with a few updates...
After a couple of hours I'm putting a break in at The Strid where we will park up and have a short walk down to The Strid. (Look it up on the 'net). Lunch has also been arranged here so I'll be ringing in with numbers a few days before. Parking is usually £4 for bikes (Duke of Devonshire pays for his gin and tonics out of it!) but I've negotiated half price rates ... I'm happy with it to be honest as we'll be able to leave bikes and gear secure.
I've also got to bear in mind some of you will have already travelled a long way so I will be taking out the loop around Buttertubs, Tan Hill and Aysgarth Falls ... Probably being a tad too optimistic to start with.
Bring it on!

DC ... You're more than welcome.
The Strid might be a good catch up spot...we should be there for an hour and you can have lunch too ? (12.30/1.00pm by my reckoning)
Am working on a route to share but not very good at the IT stuff to be honest...I will persevere though.

:D:D F.R.O. ... My old tent comes out for fresh air every now and then you cheeky water squirty man ... Time we had some beer again:beerjug:

Not sure what run I am on anymore..But will happily TEC as I'll have Hugo (4 legged pillion) with me. Let me know if that helps. Donovan

Route...

See if this works...

There is a return leg from Pateley Bridge to Lofthouse - this is intentional as the road is superb and the destination amazing! (Blame that Johnnyboxer chap - he took me there many moons ago when Foot & Mouth was in!)

(There is an option to cut across from Buckden to Hawes cutting out the loop around Aysgarth/Tan Hill - see how we feel on the day)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-05-11 18.38.08.jpg
    Screenshot 2015-05-11 18.38.08.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 226
That's about the limit of my abilities on this thing Dave:D:D:D

well done Jim nice one

Donovan - Phil has already offered TEC but you're more than welcome with the shiter biter ... There will be a break at The Strid and Malham for him/her to enjoy a walk :thumb2

cheers. So many rides available now I am so confused as to who/what is booked! I think I offered TEC on JB's as well now as never had a reply from this thread. I'll be there friday anyway to sort it out and offer my help where need be. Happy to do any of the rides really. Just don't want to inconvenience anyone with my plus 1

Back
Top Bottom