Africa Twin is coming

Africa twin

I had two Africa twins in the 90s, loved them , not very powerful but out of the box good handling made up for it,
Dead comfy, more sanitised than the competition at the time,and good finish,
A few years on got a bmw as a second bike, had it 6 months and swapped to an 1150 gsa , gave up sports bikes, and enjoyed going out in all weathers
Just like I did on the Africa twin,
On a gs wc now, I looked at the other makes including honda,
For me the handling and overall package of the gs can't be matched,
I have it appears been lucky with no major issues ,
but based on this I can't see me looking at the honda ,
I have had a lot of new Hondas but like many I feel they are chasing the competition,
Roamer

Unfortunately that's how I felt about the BMW range So I bought a new Honda as a donkey bike. It serves it's purpose well but is never going to get the pulse racing.

I agree to a certain extent - most of the the BMW range leaves me feeling the same

Deep down I know the new AT will not speak to my soul like others have done. The latest CrossRunner I rode left me totally cold. The Yamaha Tracer is a much more involving bike, at a cheaper price too, but I'm not fond of the styling or quality of the plastics. I expect the AT to be 99.9% reliable with no minor let alone major issues like so many European makes have. And I know I won't get that with an F800GS.

Deep down I know the new AT will not speak to my soul like others have done. The latest CrossRunner I rode left me totally cold. The Yamaha Tracer is a much more involving bike, at a cheaper price too, but I'm not fond of the styling or quality of the plastics. I expect the AT to be 99.9% reliable with no minor let alone major issues like so many European makes have. And I know I won't get that with an F800GS.

The 1190 R will eat the new AT for breakfast & will have 21/18 wheels & infinitely better suspension

If you wanted an AT can't see why you sold the 1190 you had, you would have been better with the R (ask Giles)

Why are you so concerned about reliability ?

Did your 1190 fail you so miserably ?

E
The 1190 R will eat the new AT for breakfast & will have 21/18 wheels & infinitely better suspension

If you wanted an AT can't see why you sold the 1190 you had, you would have been better with the R (ask Giles)

Why are you so concerned about reliability ?

Did your 1190 fail you so miserably ?

Nothing like stating the obvious, eh ? :blast

No, the KTM never failed me. In fact, I do wonder have I made the right decision every day. Too late now tho'

Someone's been busy with their colouring crayons...:cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 418
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 417
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 418
I have a customer with one on order who's also ordered a complete spare set of bodywork for me to paint in his company's colours. His company manufactures and sells Adventure bike equipment so the bike will also act as text bed for product development.

He's been told December ........... I guess it'll arrive when it arrives!!

I can't wait!! :D

Nice in white:

11269286_10206094413335951_166652554853922188_n.jpg

I have had a few Africa Twins in the past and loved them but its a big mistake not having shaftdrive on the new AT the reason i changed to BMW's was because no more chains to adjust and oil. I do like the old AT's fairing though and wish they would offer a bigger fairing for the GS or maybe a real Paris Dakar version of the GS with giant tanks like Gaston rode in the 80's lol I sat on one of his bikes at a show and wanted one.

its a big mistake not having shaftdrive on the new AT the reason i changed to BMW's was because no more chains to adjust and oil.

I disagree as many riders don't want the weight associated with a shaft drive plus when a shaft goes wrong, it isn't as easily or as cheaply sorted compared with a chain final drive (opening a can of worms, no doubt).
They all have their plus and minus points, but being lazy with simple maintenance isn't really anything I worry about with sprockets and chains.

Back
Top Bottom