Northern Spain across to Southern France

TommaGoochie

Reaction score
Hi all
Lots of useful stuff on similar thread 'Pyrenees 2 up', but looking for something slightly different.
Myself and Mrs G (two GS1200's) are heading down to Bilbau on da ferry and then meandering across to Nice at the beginning of August. We have two weeks.
Looking for advice on:
1 interesting/cool places to stay
2 must visit suggestions on route
3 good roads, including any unpaved roads that might be fun to ride
Any help gratefully received, not been down that way before.
Regards
Tom
:jager

I'm sure you wont be disappointed, the obvious places to visit in our region (65) are Col du Tourmalet and visit Pic du Midi, Col d'Aubisque, Col d'Aspin, Gavarnie, Pont d'Espagne, Lac Gaube ...... The N260 is not to be missed on the Spanish side.

Interested to see you are from Ely, Mr and Mrs PMT are from there too!

Cheers, Phil
Pyrenees Motorcycle Tours / Relais des Motards

As stated above............ The N260 is a bucket list road.

Barcelona is one of those cities you should visit. And since your going to France, Montpellier's pretty good too.

Have fun !

I cycled from Heydene on the Atlantic to Cerbere on the Med (Raid Pyrenean) last year. It goes down the French side of the border taking in all the TDF cols on the way. It was pretty awesome on a push bike, cycling in the tracks of all the greats, but on a motorcycle the roads were not that interesting. The guys said that the roads on the Spanish side were much better which has been confirmed by a few other ride reports I have read.

So unless you have a real desire to do Tourmalet, Col d'Aubisque, Col d'Aspin etc, the better ride is going to be the N260.

I can't take a long holiday this year so we're sailing to Santander then staying 3 nights in the parador at Sos del Rey Católico near to Bardenas Reales Natural Park. Then along the N260 to Andorra for one night. The GPS will then be set for Calais avoiding tolls and motorways.

Thanks a lot all, maybe I need 3 weeks after all these great suggestions. Just have to go back next year!!!!

Hotel La Rapiere in Carcassone lovely little hotel with great view of the Citidal owner was GS rider and reasonably cheap, if you can get the room with the hot tub it's great.,

The boss was very happy

null_zps3af3dc76.jpg

Back
Top Bottom