Tell me why I shouldn't consider a Stelvio

My brother had a Guzzi Breva two valve. Well built well finished but always looked too low at the back. With a pillion it grounded out very easily and because the back end sagged too much it weaved when pulling away. With at least a new rear shock and then a forks upgrade it could have been ok.
My GS knocked spots off it for handling and sheer do it all usefulness so exit one Breva.

Cons... Depreciation, unless your buying a used one, the second hand prices seem very low, if you're buying a used one then I guess that's a bonus.

Deprecation is way down the list as I keep my bikes for a long time and they do a high mileage.

I've got a demo sorted for next weekend so looking forward to a proper weekend riding up to Dent. Should give me the chance to see if we bond.

Great to see a manufacturer give me a proper demo rather than the usual couple of hours:thumb2

All this week, you'll be looking forwards to it, and rightly so, you've got a great free ride/test lined up.
The day before you set off though, seriously, do a 100 miles of mixed roads on your GSA so you have a very fresh memory to compare to the Stelvio.....it's all too easy to get caught up in shiny bike syndrome :)

I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if you came back and bought one immediately, and I'm not trying to suggest that the LC or whatever you're on at the moment is worse, but as you have the chance to do it, try and make it as much of a 'back to back' comparison as you can :beerjug:

If i would move out of my love for BM bikes i would go as far as KTM 1190 or a Supertenere 1200. Nothing less. But this is just me! And i don't like the LC, so for me a final edition GSA with DOHC engine would be perfect

Not sure I could tell you why not to consider a Stelvio, or indeed why you should consider a Stelvio, but I can tell you my thoughts on them.

March 2013 I'd gone to have a look at a Stelvio, at the time I had a 2011 1200gs tc, a cracking bike but I'd always fancied a Stelvio.
Went back for a second look with my good lady and to be fair it did feel a little cramped in so much as our feet kept getting in each others way
but I do ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs.

After some discussion Jo had talked me into getting the new GS WC, which I had ridden and was rather smitten with . So in April 2013 I became the proud owner of a new R1200GS WC, and until it went in for it's first service at 600mls was a fantastic bike, but after a further 6000mls and numerous problems I'd become completely de-smitten, but that's another story.

So July 2014 I'm back looking at the Stelvio having taken out the Triumph Explorer the day before for a 3hr test ride, very nice and what an engine.

I ended up doing 270mls on my Stelvio test ride, and to be honest after the first hour I nearly took it back thinking 'this is not for me' but decided to give it a bit longer, and after a couple of hours I'd really gotten into it and after 4 hrs I absolutely loved it.

Got back to the dealers and decided to give myself a bit of a cooling off period jumped back on my GS WC straight round to the Triumph dealership for a second go on the Explorer, which lasted 10mins and I returned the bike, definitely not for me.

So,a few days later did a deal and swapped my 2013 R1200GS WC TE for a 2014 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX. Picked it up August 2014.

The Stelvio is not as fast as the GS WC, the brakes are not as good,but don't let anyone kid you it doesn't handle as well, because it does. At 600lb yes it's a t**t to push around but once on the move it disappears and it's a lot nicer to handle at very low speed than any GS I've ever owned, and there's been a few. I'd forgotten just how little feed back the Tele-Lever suspension gives you.

It's very difficult to put into words what it is that is so compelling about the Stelvio to ride. It's a very engaging bike to ride, and ridden smoothly is a very quick bike,certainly quick enough for me, and in the real world has no problem keeping up with most Adventure style bikes, having said that I didn't buy it to race it.

Coming from a tele-lever suspended bike the front end can feel as though it's a little soft, but I now run an R1200st with tele- lever front suspension alongside the Stelvio, and much prefer the standard forks , much more feed back.

I just love the way the motor delivers the power, feels like I'm riding a proper bike, and a couple of hours spent getting the suspension settings right for you means you end up with a set up which in my opinion is much better than the ESA system.

I've spent the last 9mnts tweaking mine slightly and now it's almost just how I want it.

Somehow this bike has gotten right under my skin and I just can't wait to get out on it at every opportunity.

I'm glad you've got one for the W/E because they do need a fair bit of time to 'Get them'.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but it would appear that those who like them...Really like them.

See you up at Dent, feel free to have a good look at mine,it's been ridden throughout the winter.

Steve

Steve,Bilks, it sounds like we may be able to have a Guzzi corner on the campsite.:thumb2 I look forward to chatting about the Stelvio as I want something a bit more comfortable than my Sport for longer trips but I just love that engine:drool

Steve,Bilks, it sounds like we may be able to have a Guzzi corner on the campsite.:thumb2 I look forward to chatting about the Stelvio as I want something a bit more comfortable than my Sport for longer trips but I just love that engine:drool

I was looking for something as an everyday bike to run alongside my Stelvio. I had a look at a lovely 1200 sport and it was just lovely to ride. In the end I decided that it was so nice I could become a bit anal about it, and it was to much like the Stelvio, not a bad thing but it was also a bit more than I wanted to spend. Ended up with an R1200ST which appears to fit the bill very well.

See you at Dent...Do you think they'll banish us to the far end of the field ??????

Steve

I'll PM Paul for you

Stelvio

R:remember me Bilco ! You once sold me a strange flip up fronted white helmet (around 1919 era!) A schubert

Re a Guzzi. I have a good friend who has just purchased one. nearly new with about 20 miles on the clock ! Before that he had a Breva 1100. He is a Guzzi nut. He had his Breva from new in 2006. Chopped it in for this Stelvio. Each year we get a pass and ironically this coming Friday we are off to the Italian Alps for 8 days. (just been browsing this top site for accommodation near Stelvio)

Re his Guzzi. Every year we have done this sort of trip end may Time since 2006. Every trip something has vibrated off and needed fixing. Honestly. One year his horn vibrated off and passed over my shoulder at 80mph, another year his centre stand vibrated off. Another year he lost main bolts holding handlebars on. It honestly goes on and on.

That said he absolutely loved it, and did over 30K miles on it, mainly touring with me on mine round Europe.

Well his new Guzzi had its first service last week having dome 800 miles in last few weeks. [Cost him just under £400 for a FIRST service ! At first service did valve clearances ?:nenau

Also found certain bolts had worked loose and main stand bolts usual culprit. That said it is a real lump and quite a presence.

The issues clearly are vibration. He tells me no where near as bad as his Breva. I will no doubt ride same for a period in the next week or so. So make sure you give one a proper ride, i suspect it will rattle a lot more than your GS

As a foot note the years caught up with me and i ride a nice bit of jap crap :blast, a Bandit 1250SA. My other half retired from riding pillion so i down sized to a physically smaller bike, from giant trailees. It has all the luggage and I have moded it with suspension upgrades and host other goodies. the engine is simply awesome and is perfect cheap mile muncher !

I've had two Stelvios, over a period of nearly 6 years. Both bikes were well built, comfortable, reliable, and as previously mentioned very engaging to ride. Maintenance is fairly simple, but keep an eye out for things working loose due to vibration. That Guzzi engine is lovely and the exhaust has a great tone even with the standard silencer. I would reccomend an NTX to anyone interested.
I have recently changed from a Stelvio to a Yamaha Super tenere as I needed a bike with a lighter clutch due to an old injury flaring up, also something a little easier to ride around town. I prefer the S10's lower centre of gravity. performance wise there doesn't appear to be much difference, both bikes are way fast enough for me. The Yam is a great bike but does lack the 'character'of the Stelvio.

You would not regret getting a Stelvio and with Strefford's you have one of the best dealers in the UK on your doorstep.

I had owned my 1150GS for over 10-years and went over to Strefford's for a Stelvio NTX test-ride in Janurary 2014, thoroughly taken with the bike and ordered one straight away for delivery 1st March 2014.

No vices apart from fuel consumption that is a bit on the high side (40-42MPG) but the (very) large tank does away with range issues. Other owners claim 50+MPG so maybe it is just me?
I don't find it at all top heavy even when fully loaded (I also have the optional top-box) and generally it is just so much FUN FUN FUN to ride. I found buffeting from the screen a bit of a pain but a Wunderlich flip on top soon sorted that out. The lack of a gear indicator is more annoying than I thought it would be, I had never had one before the GS and now I miss it, other controls are ok although the indicator button could be a bit closer as I find it a stretch. I ordered a Radguard from Australia and had it ready to fit the day I picked the bike up. Headlights are excellent and a 100% improvement on the GS set-up.

My biggest mistake was not buying from Strefford's.
I told them that I really needed to use a local dealer for servicing etc and they were ok with that but it turned out that my local dealer was a waste of space and I am now having to travel to a more distant one to get decent service so in hindsight I should have gone with Strefford's in the first place as everyone says how good they are.

They do drop value like a stone but I am also a keeper (had the GS for 10 1/2 years) so decided that I would rather take the hit and buy new than a pre-owned bike.

All this week, you'll be looking forwards to it, and rightly so, you've got a great free ride/test lined up.
The day before you set off though, seriously, do a 100 miles of mixed roads on your GSA so you have a very fresh memory to compare to the Stelvio.....it's all too easy to get caught up in shiny bike syndrome :)

I would Bill but she's half way across the Atlantic:thumb

I do check mine regularly for stuff coming loose, but as of yet nothing has come loose.

As for a first service being £400,mine was included in the deal. 6k service £247. (I think he's had his leg lifted at £400)

Initially I was getting around 40mpg but it's crept up-to around 45 which I can live with.

Only things I can really fault is, slightly snatchy throttle...which I've gotten used to and no longer a problem.

Slightly lumpy round town .....fitted a Finebau fuel thingy which has sorted most of this.

Appears to pink a bit when under heavy load in 6th gear...easily cured by knocking it down a gear.

It does appear to be getting smoother as the miles go on..and from what I've read they tend to reach their optimum, for performance and fuel consumption at between 8 and 10k.

Steve

watch that dealer ! he's a bugger for letting you out on a test ride then....sell you the bike , it's a slippery slope to a garage full of them

ps say Hi to Nathan from Baldrick .

Nothing has vibrated loose or fell off mine in just shy of 20k miles. The finish and fit is comaparable to my old 1992 K1 and certainly better than a current Beemer.

On my last trip to Belgium a month ago it had a major electrical failure ( headlamp bulb blew ) and on the trip before that to Scotland it had a minor electrical failure ; it blew a fuse one morning when I started her up.

The only other failure was at 9.5k miles, again on a trip ( to a UKGSer event ) when the final drive bearing went , exactly the same bearing as fitted to the GS.

I just love the way the engine feels and she fairly well picks up her skirt and gets a wriggle on when she wants too. Throttle is a bit snatchy and the clutch is fekkin heavy , really heavy . :thumb

Its a yes from me.

The Stelvio for me is the next bike of that ilk. I really really liked my 1150GSA but don't think I'll b able to find s good one by the time I get back from his assignment in the USA. I nearly traded a bike in for a Stelvio before I came as I like them so much. I have a 1200Sport the same as Rushys which is a great bike but unfortunately I have had some issues with it in so far as I keep loosing the display which works the lights, the indicators and speedo etc so it wouldn't pass an mot. Unfortunately its was just out of warranty even though it only had 900 miles on it. I believe some of the earlier Guzzis had issues with the instrument cluster and it may be just a new one needed but thats going to cost big bucks. The other issue for me was no dealer anywhere near Aberdeen anymore the closest in Stirling (Allans) however I was chatting to him and his mother lives round the corner. The other issue I had was probably due to lack of use was misfiring on 1 cylinder due to dirty plugs which almost melted the exhaust pipe (CAT).

I love the bike though and it gives me a thrill every time I take it out which i cant say for a lot of bikes.

Go for it you wont be disappointed. They have good colour schemes also.

AndyT

Back
Top Bottom