Tell me why I shouldn't consider a Stelvio

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
I've got a brilliant Guzzi dealer about 400yds from my house. They do all my MOT's etc etc for my stuff and they have been trying to sell me a Stelvio for years.

Anyhow, they have offered me such a good deal on a fully equipped Stelvio that I reckon I have to consider it. It would be doing a highish mileage and have to live a lot of it's life outside under a cover.

Pro's and Cons?

I love them and 'almost' got one instead of the 1190 when I sold the GS. In the end I was swayed by the outright performance of the KTM , nothing more. I reckon they are great on many levels; well built, reliable, up to the job and a bit left field.

I recently did the Taffy Dakar on my Husky with some mates, one on a 1190, a DRZ and the other on a Stelvio. We were all amazed that the Stelvio made it around without a drop (which is more than can be said of me on the Husky!).

I say Go For It! :)

Andres

Pros.....it'll make you happy, you have doorstep dealer backup and (apparently) they're bloody good bikes

Cons.....Nope, sorry, not seeing any :nenau

stop thinking about it or you'll talk yourself out of it.......if you can afford it, JFDI.

:thumb

I must say I'm warming to it, it's a good looking bike and it's about 2 big trips cheaper than a GSWC:D I was thinking of a new WC last year but decided it was way too much money and although a cracking bike, too many teething issues for my liking.

One of their customers did a 24 hour dirt rally on one with no issues so they are pretty tough old bikes.

I'm trying to blag it for the Dent weekend to give it a good test.

Are they low?

No idea if this rider is chadlike in stature, but the bike doesn't look tall (yah I know it's tilted over, but still.....)

moto-guzzi-stelvio-2012_002.jpg

They ain't tall at all........but the owner is (6'4'') Compare it to the 1190 - forgot to mention, he was on road tyres too!

Andres

Attachments

• 11150714_10204360615519888_6577070501031596601_n.jpg
    11150714_10204360615519888_6577070501031596601_n.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 1,843
I really want one but was surprised how top heavy it was in the shop even without any fuel in. I need to test ride one.

attachment.php

The KTM is behind the Guzzi, even if you fekk about with the arc of the camera

It still looks Mahoosively higher than the Guzzi........and no pictures I've seen of the Stelvio lead me to believe it's anything other than an adventure bike for Oompah loompahs :nenau

The belly pan in the above pic is also as low as a slug's arsehole.......

I dunno, but it does look like a bike for those severely lacking in the trouser department :confused:

Google Derek Mansfield. He's a long distance man and rides a Stelvio. His website could be of interest. I made contact with him a couple of years ago about the made to measure wax jacket he wears. He's a down to earth bloke and will answer emails readily. That's unless he's on the road somewhere very remote.

I've test ridden them twice now, both NTX models once after the 1150gs the other after riding the 1200gsa tc and really wanted to like them but just couldn't get away with the bike.
Both had overly soft front suspension, both were too cramped two up after the bmw's and both tests were in very hot weather and after a couple of hours both bikes got hot and bothered when stuck in heavy traffic and became rattly and the gearchange went to pot.
Shame really as finish wise they were easily on par with the 1150, better than the 1200 tc and absolutely superb compared to my current gsa lc.
I've no doubt that the front end can be sorted and if your dealer is good any other issues would be fixable

I've got a demo sorted for next weekend so looking forward to a proper weekend riding up to Dent. Should give me the chance to see if we bond.

Great to see a manufacturer give me a proper demo rather than the usual couple of hours:thumb2

Cons... Depreciation, unless your buying a used one, the second hand prices seem very low, if you're buying a used one then I guess that's a bonus.

Back
Top Bottom