Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XG250 Tricker Build

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

XG250 Tricker Build

Hi all

I'm usually over in the BMW G650 X Thread but just replaced one of our XC's (wife's) with a Tricker.

Over time, will be converting this into a travelling bike and was thinking of putting the details up here...if anyone is interested.

This is the bike as we got it last week.

Its going to Iceland in 5 weeks, so no pressure

Looks like a good bike for Iceland. Are you going to carry all the luggage?
    Anyone riding slower than you is an idiot, and anyone riding faster than you is a maniac

Looks like a neat machine
    Sell my bike?
    I would rather stick wasps up my arse !

Quote Originally Posted by Smug View Post
    Looks like a good bike for Iceland. Are you going to carry all the luggage?
    The 650 XC will take most of the weight in Magadan panniers, but I am in the process of custom building some small racks that can take our Wolfman 19 litre panniers. The idea is this bike will carry clothes and the tent roll. I'll post some pictures of that process this weekend....I hope.

The plan for Iceland, in the limited time available, is to create the racks, replace the rear shock with a Hyperpro unit, and put on a steering stabiliser. As the Tricker only has 6 litres, spare fuel will be carried by the XC on this trip. We plan to sort out some sort of Rotopax mounting for the next one. As for the rest of the mods....the trip to Iceland should dictate hat we need to work on later

Most people, including the trade, have never heard of this particular Yamaha so....this is a link to the specs I found on a website.

One of the best aspects of the bike is that it has a very low seat height, as standard, but still giving good ground clearance. It normally has a 16 inch rear and 19 front, but our bike has already been changed to an 18 rear giving much more tyre choice.

Shedi Knight Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Oooh Yes!

appears bright from a distance / dim up close

Appreciating Scotland Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    The guy in Holland that makes the X-tanks for the BM X bikes might be able to make you a rear mounted tank that works in the same way as the Tricker is fuel injected.

Nice little bike for rough road travelling. 130Kgs wet?
    '83 BMW R100
    Yamaha S10
    '69 BMW R60 US

Shep of the Dessert Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Looks a great little bike but at first glance that rear frame looks a bit flimsy for carrying much weight, might need a couple of supports to the footrest perhaps?
    A man with no boat is a prisoner.
    Faroese proverb

One of the guys from South Wales TRF converted his to a 21" wheel a few years back, he really rated them

Quote Originally Posted by Packer View Post
    The guy in Holland that makes the X-tanks for the BM X bikes might be able to make you a rear mounted tank that works in the same way as the Tricker is fuel injected.

Nice little bike for rough road travelling. 130Kgs wet?
    haha...you mean Erik at Hotrod Welding. Yes, its a thought. I may pop up and see him after we come back from Iceland. I have his X-Tank on my XChallenge (and another one for sale).

The weight is 120Kgs dry so 130Kgs wet is not far off...maybe 127Kgs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Looks a great little bike but at first glance that rear frame looks a bit flimsy for carrying much weight, might need a couple of supports to the footrest perhaps?
    My wife weighs in at 55Kgs in gear and it will only be carrying light luggage. I think it should be OK. The subframe is steel too, rather than ally.

Started building the racks last night. We have made them quite small, to both suit the bike and just fit the Wolfman 19L soft bags that she will use. The tube is 16mm steel with 20mm stainless for the spacers/mount points, and it is already quite strong. We will put on another bar to the front spacer and a rear hoop to strengthen the bottom of the frames. I doubt there will be time to get it powder coated so that will be something for after e come back.

More to come......

Appreciating Scotland Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Looking good, low and well forward. I wish I had your welding and fabrication skills!
    '83 BMW R100
    Yamaha S10
    '69 BMW R60 US

Looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by Packer View Post
    Looking good, low and well forward. I wish I had your welding and fabrication skills!
    I can't claim the welding skills, yet anyway, but the parts I did make. I am learning from Bas at Hyperpro.

A few more photos. Rack is nearly complete. Just the final welding, clean-up and spray painting to be done.

2nd Top Brace tagged into place

Rear Brace tagged.

Ready for finishing the welding.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast