Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XG250 Tricker Build

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    That's beautiful fabrication, really great work.

So... tell me what's more fun, the trip or the preparation for the trip??

Paul G

Quote Originally Posted by The Other PaulG View Post
    That's beautiful fabrication, really great work.
    So... tell me what's more fun, the trip or the preparation for the trip??
    Paul G
    Very good question. I think the 2 things really go hand in hand. The fabrication work is alot of fun, especially for someone who is an IT desk jockey during the day. Playing around with pipe benders, lathes and welding gear is a great way to pass the time between trips. The benefit to doing this sort of stuff yourself is the knowledge learned about the bike and, with that, goes the confidence to fix it in the middle of nowhere.

XG250 Tricker Build

I made side case frames for my old Yammie Diversion 900. It's indeed very therapeutic and you can tuck everything in much more neatly than the off the shelf stuff.
    The tube was 5/8 inch OD mild steel.with Givi lugs and mushrooms so their cases would clip straight on.
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750

Maintenance...or lack of it

It turns out that while this bike looked immaculate on the surface, it has not been well maintained since it was built.

While fitting the new Hyperpro shock, and new chain/sprocket set (I have a question on that later), I found that the grease in the roller bearing at the bottom of the shock has actually gone solid and the bushes in the other 2 joints had seized. See photos. 1 is a little difficult to make out.

First the new shock and reservoir mounting-

Bottom mounting point...if you look at the top you can see what is left of the crease.

Anyway, after re-greasing, replacing the rollers, turning the bushes in a lathe and reegreasing those, everything was swivelling as it should

Next came the chain and sprocket set. The front sprocket was so warn, it looked like pins poking out of a metal disk. I forgot to take a photos, but will try and dig it out of the waste bin next Saturday and show you. Never seen one that bad before.

The question I mentioned earlier.... this is our first Yamaha, is it normal to have press fitted spacers in the rear sprocket on Yam's? Never seen that before. Though maybe that's because I don't get out enough Anyway, I made a tool and changed those over to the new sprocket reasonable easily, so no problem.

This is the bike with it all fitted.

All being well, it appears that the rack will get powder coated after all. I will post photo of the finished and fitted item next weekend.

As you can also see in the photos above, the Mitas E09 is also fitted now, though still waiting for the front to arrive. This rear tyre is a 110/80-18. Rather small, but it looks right on the bike and gives much better clearances and suspension travel.

Looks like we're on schedule to have it ready for a trial run next weekend.

Appreciating Scotland Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecbrxx View Post
    ..................Looks like we're on schedule to have it ready for a trial run next weekend.
    Fill the tank, carry a separate can of fuel and ride until it runs out so that you at least know how far it will go on just 6 litres of fuel. I'll guess about 190 kms.
    '83 BMW R100
    Yamaha S10
    '69 BMW R60 US

Quote Originally Posted by Packer View Post
    Fill the tank, carry a separate can of fuel and ride until it runs out so that you at least know how far it will go on just 6 litres of fuel. I'll guess about 190 kms.
    Yep, I was quoted 125mpt

I will be carrying 2 x 2Litre cans just for her (I have 18 litres on my bike without the cans) so we should have plenty of range for Iceland.

Thevfront sprocket i mentioned. I've never seen one this worn before.

The finished rack.....

That's a proper little bike is that

Lovely job on the pannier frames, they look very well indeed!

You might want to have a quick look at the condition of the headstock bearings while you're tinkering, given the lack of maintenance / grease around the rear suspension and all.

Looking forward to the next instalment!

Restoration and Paint services

07714 266 627

www.ctmotorcycleservices.co.uk

www.facebook.com/ctmotorcycleservices

Thanks!

I think the next instalment will be putting it on a pallet for the container to Iceland. There isn't much time to do alot else now and I need to spend some time getting mine ready.

Btw, anyone seen these little gems. Found this colapsible 2.8 litre pan yesterday that fits 2 cups and 2 bowls inside it.

Continues....

The story continues here for a while. The Tricker has now on its way to Iceland.

We are back from Iceland with a slightly damaged Yamaha.

I realise its a stretch, but does anyone know of a breaker (or inmate) with a complete headlight and instrument cluster?

Ok, I think some further customisation is needed due to the cost of stock headlight and instruments being €566 plus vat and delivery.

Does anyone have any experience with Vapor dash/instruments? I've been in touch with them and they have an instrument cluster with mount/indicator lights for about €200 through TrailTech in the UK.

This one to be exact, with the added surround.

New Member (less than 15 Posts)

Luggage Rack Build

Quote Originally Posted by mikecbrxx View Post
    The 650 XC will take most of the weight in Magadan panniers, but I am in the process of custom building some small racks that can take our Wolfman 19 litre panniers. The idea is this bike will carry clothes and the tent roll. I'll post some pictures of that process this weekend....I hope.

The plan for Iceland, in the limited time available, is to create the racks, replace the rear shock with a Hyperpro unit, and put on a steering stabiliser. As the Tricker only has 6 litres, spare fuel will be carried by the XC on this trip. We plan to sort out some sort of Rotopax mounting for the next one. As for the rest of the mods....the trip to Iceland should dictate hat we need to work on later

Hi there mikecbrxx ! I am a newbie and I have just got a new toy - a Yamaha Tricker ! Absolutely love the rack that you built for your Iceland Trip, and I was wondering if I could ask some questions? I have plans to ride this bike to faraway land, and I would be most grateful if you could please advise me on certain aspects of your rack build. Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZakChuah View Post
    Hi there mikecbrxx ! I am a newbie and I have just got a new toy - a Yamaha Tricker ! Absolutely love the rack that you built for your Iceland Trip, and I was wondering if I could ask some questions? I have plans to ride this bike to faraway land, and I would be most grateful if you could please advise me on certain aspects of your rack build. Many thanks
    Sure, no problem. I actually need to do a major update on here as alot has happened to the bike while repairing after Iceland.

I'll try and get to it this weekend sometime.

Just to wet your appetite.... this is what the bike looks like today!

Its now part Yamaha Tricker, Yamaha XT250 (2006 onward), BMW G450X, and Aprilia SX 125.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

what rear tyre have you got on the bike?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast