XG250 Tricker Build

mikecbrxx

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm usually over in the BMW G650 X Thread but just replaced one of our XC's (wife's) with a Tricker.

Over time, will be converting this into a travelling bike and was thinking of putting the details up here...if anyone is interested.

This is the bike as we got it last week.

Tricker.jpg

Its going to Iceland in 5 weeks, so no pressure :D

Looks like a good bike for Iceland. Are you going to carry all the luggage?

Looks like a good bike for Iceland. Are you going to carry all the luggage?

The 650 XC will take most of the weight in Magadan panniers, but I am in the process of custom building some small racks that can take our Wolfman 19 litre panniers. The idea is this bike will carry clothes and the tent roll. I'll post some pictures of that process this weekend....I hope.

The plan for Iceland, in the limited time available, is to create the racks, replace the rear shock with a Hyperpro unit, and put on a steering stabiliser. As the Tricker only has 6 litres, spare fuel will be carried by the XC on this trip. We plan to sort out some sort of Rotopax mounting for the next one. As for the rest of the mods....the trip to Iceland should dictate hat we need to work on later :cool:

Most people, including the trade, have never heard of this particular Yamaha so....this is a link to the specs I found on a website.

One of the best aspects of the bike is that it has a very low seat height, as standard, but still giving good ground clearance. It normally has a 16 inch rear and 19 front, but our bike has already been changed to an 18 rear giving much more tyre choice.

The guy in Holland that makes the X-tanks for the BM X bikes might be able to make you a rear mounted tank that works in the same way as the Tricker is fuel injected.

Nice little bike for rough road travelling. 130Kgs wet?

Looks a great little bike but at first glance that rear frame looks a bit flimsy for carrying much weight, might need a couple of supports to the footrest perhaps?

The guy in Holland that makes the X-tanks for the BM X bikes might be able to make you a rear mounted tank that works in the same way as the Tricker is fuel injected.

Nice little bike for rough road travelling. 130Kgs wet?

haha...you mean Erik at Hotrod Welding. Yes, its a thought. I may pop up and see him after we come back from Iceland. I have his X-Tank on my XChallenge (and another one for sale).

The weight is 120Kgs dry so 130Kgs wet is not far off...maybe 127Kgs.

Looks a great little bike but at first glance that rear frame looks a bit flimsy for carrying much weight, might need a couple of supports to the footrest perhaps?

My wife weighs in at 55Kgs in gear and it will only be carrying light luggage. I think it should be OK. The subframe is steel too, rather than ally.

Started building the racks last night. We have made them quite small, to both suit the bike and just fit the Wolfman 19L soft bags that she will use. The tube is 16mm steel with 20mm stainless for the spacers/mount points, and it is already quite strong. We will put on another bar to the front spacer and a rear hoop to strengthen the bottom of the frames. I doubt there will be time to get it powder coated so that will be something for after e come back.

20150527_200504.jpg

20150527_200510.jpg

20150527_200517.jpg

20150527_210716.jpg

20150527_214203.jpg

20150527_220603.jpg

20150527_220611.jpg

More to come......

Looking good, low and well forward. I wish I had your welding and fabrication skills!

A few more photos. Rack is nearly complete. Just the final welding, clean-up and spray painting to be done.

2nd Top Brace tagged into place
20150530_133303%25255B1%25255D.jpg

Rear Brace tagged.
20150530_161910.jpg

20150530_161928.jpg

Ready for finishing the welding.
20150530_162451.jpg

That's beautiful fabrication, really great work.

So... tell me what's more fun, the trip or the preparation for the trip?? :beerjug:

Paul G

That's beautiful fabrication, really great work.
So... tell me what's more fun, the trip or the preparation for the trip?? :beerjug:
Paul G

Very good question. I think the 2 things really go hand in hand. The fabrication work is alot of fun, especially for someone who is an IT desk jockey during the day. Playing around with pipe benders, lathes and welding gear is a great way to pass the time between trips. The benefit to doing this sort of stuff yourself is the knowledge learned about the bike and, with that, goes the confidence to fix it in the middle of nowhere.

I made side case frames for my old Yammie Diversion 900. It's indeed very therapeutic and you can tuck everything in much more neatly than the off the shelf stuff.
The tube was 5/8 inch OD mild steel.with Givi lugs and mushrooms so their cases would clip straight on.

Maintenance...or lack of it

It turns out that while this bike looked immaculate on the surface, it has not been well maintained since it was built.

While fitting the new Hyperpro shock, and new chain/sprocket set (I have a question on that later), I found that the grease in the roller bearing at the bottom of the shock has actually gone solid and the bushes in the other 2 joints had seized. See photos. 1 is a little difficult to make out.

First the new shock and reservoir mounting-

20150606_090953.jpg

20150606_090934.jpg

Bottom mounting point...if you look at the top you can see what is left of the crease.

20150606_130246.jpg

20150606_130251.jpg

Anyway, after re-greasing, replacing the rollers, turning the bushes in a lathe and reegreasing those, everything was swivelling as it should :bounce1

20150606_130333.jpg

Next came the chain and sprocket set. The front sprocket was so warn, it looked like pins poking out of a metal disk. I forgot to take a photos, but will try and dig it out of the waste bin next Saturday and show you. Never seen one that bad before.

The question I mentioned earlier.... this is our first Yamaha, is it normal to have press fitted spacers in the rear sprocket on Yam's? Never seen that before. Though maybe that's because I don't get out enough:nenau Anyway, I made a tool and changed those over to the new sprocket reasonable easily, so no problem.

This is the bike with it all fitted.

20150606_164614.jpg

All being well, it appears that the rack will get powder coated after all. I will post photo of the finished and fitted item next weekend.

As you can also see in the photos above, the Mitas E09 is also fitted now, though still waiting for the front to arrive. This rear tyre is a 110/80-18. Rather small, but it looks right on the bike and gives much better clearances and suspension travel.

Looks like we're on schedule to have it ready for a trial run next weekend.:clap:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom