Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Interphone, Scala, or Sena?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by richardbd View Post
    Autocom - better than any bluetooth system yet invented, not least because you don't need to be total geek to operate it!
    I swapped out my Autocom for a Sena 20s. The quality of the sound for rider-passenger is definitely better with digital VOX and filtering. Now when you start interfacing to PMR radios on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by stephen.stallebrass View Post
    I went for the Cardo Scala Rider Q3 Multi-Set. The chief reason I went for this one was because I can plug my custom SoundEars straight into the unit without having to modify it.

I got the Multi-Set because it wasn't much more expensive than a single unit at the time of purchase and then I could have one in use and one charging whilst riding. Or if I'm riding with a buddy in a group they could use the spare.

I like that it can connect to 2x bluetooth devices and and up to 4x intercom links (I've only ever connected to 1 other unit but have connected it to the Zumo 660 and my Iphone4). You can also connect an mp3 player up to it with a cable (never used it as I listen to audio via the Iphone or the Zumo).

It's good for up to about 1km but you might get more depending on terrain. I like that it has FM radio, which I use a fair bit and the Click-to-Link feature that allows you to connect with other units on the fly without prior pairing (although I've never used this feature).

It's firmware is upgradable and you can adjust various settings using the software like FM presets, VOX sensitivity, hot dial etc... another good thing is that they are compatible with a bunch of older Cardo units which have been very popular.

The speakers are loud, clear and crisp even with ear plugs and the same for the microphone. I really like the sleek design and the build quality so I would fully recommend it.

The only caution I'd say is to make sure that it's properly connected to the cradle with a firm 'click' before you ride away.

Cheers for this report SB, really informative on the key points!
    Cars & Vans for a living, Bikes to feel alive!

So, 6 weeks in to the replacement F5's, and I'm getting a low battery warning after 6 hours. I've told them I want to return the F5, and get another brand, so now I'm waiting for the return to be authorised.

Funny how all the comms threads are full of debate about which is the best (or the worst) bluetooth system - and/or what difference the latest firmware update does (or doesn't) make. There are more opinions than there are systems and clearly absolutely no agreement about anything.

Meanwhile the Autocom-enabled just carry on regardless, with no firmware to update, no battery-life worries on and no concerns about inter-connectivity.

Is it just me, or are some people slow on the uptake?

Sena smh10 all the way had mine nearly 3 years faultless.

Have you ever ridden in heavy rain for 2 solid days ? A mate and I did in Scotland a couple of years ago and both our SMH10s packed up due to water ingress. Replaced with Scala Rider G9s and never had a problem with heavy rain since.

Sena do not specify that their units are waterproof and I know why, which is a shame because I quite liked their ease of use.

Interestingly I've had the opposite experience. A couple of scalas packed up on me after riding in the rain but our SMH10s and 20s have been faultless in even torrential downpours.

I stopped using autocom when we changed bikes a few years ago and the new ones didn't have enough space to mount them. We've never looked back. We had autocoms pack up due to water, failing leads, dodgy microphones and hated the half duplex way of working. Often you'd be trying to tell people which way to go and others would be speaking, thereby blocking your transmission. Sometimes this was local taxi firms etc so outside of your control. We also find the audio quality from the 20s superior to our old autocoms and scalas.
    If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is!

I suppose then that these experiences prove that any personal recommendation is useless and you should try whatever, yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtee43 View Post
    I suppose then that these experiences prove that any personal recommendation is useless and you should try whatever, yourself.
    Couldn't agree more!

I had the autocom for years and was quite happy with it although I did have to replace the leads occasionally. Last year when I got the new WC GS complete with Nav 5, I had the choice of transferring the autocom across and getting the BT module for it or just ditch it and go completely BT.

In the end I went with the Sena SMH10. In the 16 months since, it has been faultless. I haven't experienced the water ingress problems that others have described despite being through very heavy down-pours for days on end. I have noticed that my unit doesn't last as long on battery as the Mrs unit. I suspect because mine gets used on a daily basis whilst the Mrs unit only get used occasionally. So far, not a big problem. I guess I get about 7 hours continuous use out of mine and I can charge it while riding. If it gets really bad at holding a charge, I'll look at changing the battery.

The other advantage is that because it isn't tied to the bike, I don't have to have separate units for each bike.

A couple of months ago I tried the 20S but sent the units back. To me they weren't any better than the SMH10 and the volume was definitely lower.

Used Sena 10 and 20S prior to purchasing Schuberth C3 pro. Used the SRC which is certainly inferior to the sena but less complicated.

Anyhow got totally fed up trying to push button a etc and shouting at the Vox so purchased a 10U. No more wire or connectors pushing against neck and getting irritation from them after an hours riding.

The 10U is brilliant bit of kit. Hides away in the helmet and with a small microphone that is very unobtrusive, unlike the previous boom mics.

The handlebar control makes operating the 10U unit so much easier its unbelievable. The Sena app advises that you have the latest firmware on the unit and more importantly has the user guides contained with in it so no more searching with google etc.

In all if you want a BT headset that can handle your mobile, stream to headset and play music, and satnav separately then this is the unit. It will do everything the SMH10 will do and a little bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by daesimps View Post
    Interestingly I've had the opposite experience. A couple of scalas packed up on me after riding in the rain but our SMH10s and 20s have been faultless in even torrential downpours.

I stopped using autocom when we changed bikes a few years ago and the new ones didn't have enough space to mount them. We've never looked back. We had autocoms pack up due to water, failing leads, dodgy microphones and hated the half duplex way of working. Often you'd be trying to tell people which way to go and others would be speaking, thereby blocking your transmission. Sometimes this was local taxi firms etc so outside of your control. We also find the audio quality from the 20s superior to our old autocoms and scalas.
    Crikey how old was your system . my present Autocom is 9yrs old & full duplex. Never had a problem with all day rain etc
    I Ride, therefore I am

2009-2011. Half duplex referred to the bike to bike, not rider to pillion. PMR radios are always half duplex by design.
    If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is!

Quote Originally Posted by sullivt View Post

The 10U is brilliant bit of kit. Hides away in the helmet and with a small microphone that is very unobtrusive, unlike the previous boom mics.

The handlebar control makes operating the 10U unit so much easier its unbelievable. The Sena app advises that you have the latest firmware on the unit and more importantly has the user guides contained with in it so no more searching with google etc.

In all if you want a BT headset that can handle your mobile, stream to headset and play music, and satnav separately then this is the unit. It will do everything the SMH10 will do and a little bit more.
    Hi, thanks for the review.
    I'm very interested in the new 10U with Schuberth integration

Have you tried to connect it to fellow riders? - And do you know how it works in bike-to-bike communication? - Do you push the botton, to talk to a connected BT rider, or how does that work?

Thanx.
    Living in Denmark, and riding my 2007 R1100GS!
    Story is, it's been stored at BMW Denmark until 2007, and sold first time in 2009. Current KMage 24000

yes used for a while now.

connects to anything to be honest.
    Bike to bike via BT is fine.
    button on handlebar unit or helmet. all the manuals are on sena site have a look sure you will be impressed

Hi again,
    Thanks for the reply, and your verdict of the Com.
    I have the Scala Rider G4 and it drops the connection to other riders and to the gps, all the time. It has been piece of shit, so to speak... So it's time to some new hardware..

But if I read your verdict, it will be: "Recommended "? 🏼
    Br Ulrik.

Kind regards Ulrik
    Living in Denmark, and riding my 2007 R1100GS!
    Story is, it's been stored at BMW Denmark until 2007, and sold first time in 2009. Current KMage 24000

Ive used the Scala SHO1 linked in through my Shoei neotec hats. Very good. Although a bit pricey at £499 you can buy cheaper at FC moto but the product is very good, its clear and sharp sound iseasy to hear and even at motorway speed I can talk to my other half even if she is upto a mile away. The GPS links in easily also and it is compatible with other Scala kit so if you have mates to ride with you can pair the sets. The quality of the kit is very good.
    Growing up is optional, growing older is mandatory

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast