Interphone, Scala, or Sena?

I suppose then that these experiences prove that any personal recommendation is useless and you should try whatever, yourself.

Couldn't agree more!

I had the autocom for years and was quite happy with it although I did have to replace the leads occasionally. Last year when I got the new WC GS complete with Nav 5, I had the choice of transferring the autocom across and getting the BT module for it or just ditch it and go completely BT.

In the end I went with the Sena SMH10. In the 16 months since, it has been faultless. I haven't experienced the water ingress problems that others have described despite being through very heavy down-pours for days on end. I have noticed that my unit doesn't last as long on battery as the Mrs unit. I suspect because mine gets used on a daily basis whilst the Mrs unit only get used occasionally. So far, not a big problem. I guess I get about 7 hours continuous use out of mine and I can charge it while riding. If it gets really bad at holding a charge, I'll look at changing the battery.

The other advantage is that because it isn't tied to the bike, I don't have to have separate units for each bike.

A couple of months ago I tried the 20S but sent the units back. To me they weren't any better than the SMH10 and the volume was definitely lower.

Used Sena 10 and 20S prior to purchasing Schuberth C3 pro. Used the SRC which is certainly inferior to the sena but less complicated.

Anyhow got totally fed up trying to push button a etc and shouting at the Vox so purchased a 10U. No more wire or connectors pushing against neck and getting irritation from them after an hours riding.

The 10U is brilliant bit of kit. Hides away in the helmet and with a small microphone that is very unobtrusive, unlike the previous boom mics.

The handlebar control makes operating the 10U unit so much easier its unbelievable. The Sena app advises that you have the latest firmware on the unit and more importantly has the user guides contained with in it so no more searching with google etc.

In all if you want a BT headset that can handle your mobile, stream to headset and play music, and satnav separately then this is the unit. It will do everything the SMH10 will do and a little bit more.

Interestingly I've had the opposite experience. A couple of scalas packed up on me after riding in the rain but our SMH10s and 20s have been faultless in even torrential downpours.

I stopped using autocom when we changed bikes a few years ago and the new ones didn't have enough space to mount them. We've never looked back. We had autocoms pack up due to water, failing leads, dodgy microphones and hated the half duplex way of working. Often you'd be trying to tell people which way to go and others would be speaking, thereby blocking your transmission. Sometimes this was local taxi firms etc so outside of your control. We also find the audio quality from the 20s superior to our old autocoms and scalas.
Crikey how old was your system :eek:. my present Autocom is 9yrs old & full duplex. Never had a problem with all day rain etc :thumb2

2009-2011. Half duplex referred to the bike to bike, not rider to pillion. PMR radios are always half duplex by design.

The 10U is brilliant bit of kit. Hides away in the helmet and with a small microphone that is very unobtrusive, unlike the previous boom mics.

The handlebar control makes operating the 10U unit so much easier its unbelievable. The Sena app advises that you have the latest firmware on the unit and more importantly has the user guides contained with in it so no more searching with google etc.

In all if you want a BT headset that can handle your mobile, stream to headset and play music, and satnav separately then this is the unit. It will do everything the SMH10 will do and a little bit more.
Hi, thanks for the review.
I'm very interested in the new 10U with Schuberth integration

Have you tried to connect it to fellow riders? - And do you know how it works in bike-to-bike communication? - Do you push the botton, to talk to a connected BT rider, or how does that work?

Thanx.

yes used for a while now.

connects to anything to be honest.
Bike to bike via BT is fine.
button on handlebar unit or helmet. all the manuals are on sena site have a look sure you will be impressed

Hi again,
Thanks for the reply, and your verdict of the Com.
I have the Scala Rider G4 and it drops the connection to other riders and to the gps, all the time. It has been piece of shit, so to speak... So it's time to some new hardware..

But if I read your verdict, it will be: "Recommended "? 🏼
Br Ulrik.

Kind regards Ulrik

Ive used the Scala SHO1 linked in through my Shoei neotec hats. Very good. Although a bit pricey at £499 you can buy cheaper at FC moto but the product is very good, its clear and sharp sound iseasy to hear and even at motorway speed I can talk to my other half even if she is upto a mile away. The GPS links in easily also and it is compatible with other Scala kit so if you have mates to ride with you can pair the sets. The quality of the kit is very good.

Funny how all the comms threads are full of debate about which is the best (or the worst) bluetooth system - and/or what difference the latest firmware update does (or doesn't) make. There are more opinions than there are systems and clearly absolutely no agreement about anything.

Meanwhile the Autocom-enabled just carry on regardless, with no firmware to update, no battery-life worries on and no concerns about inter-connectivity.

Is it just me, or are some people slow on the uptake?

:nenau:nenau:nenau

Trouble is the quality of current autocom headsets is shite to say the least, the quality of workmanship on said headsets useless wire is even worse and what's with the bloody great plastic ring around each speaker that has to be removed to fit the average helmet.

Don't get me wrong I have had many many years of trouble free use of autocom but the quality is going down hill.

On the upside I found a guy on eBay that builds headsets using all good quality wiring which appears to have solved my problem but it does make me think long and hard about Bluetooth

Trouble is the quality of current autocom headsets is shite to say the least, the quality of workmanship on said headsets useless wire is even worse and what's with the bloody great plastic ring around each speaker that has to be removed to fit the average helmet.

Don't get me wrong I have had many many years of trouble free use of autocom but the quality is going down hill.

On the upside I found a guy on eBay that builds headsets using all good quality wiring which appears to have solved my problem but it does make me think long and hard about Bluetooth

I was like you, Autocom was the intercom of choice, none of the BT devices(that I tried) had the in helmet volume while wearing earlpugs.
I now have a SENA SMH10 bluetooth unit which is very good, more than loud enough with plugs in and easily lasts a day on the bike no problem.

Rich...I know you've got the tour back in situ, but FWIW to others....my 'new' intercom set up is as follows:

> Kept my Scala G4 rider unit
> Updated the software to the latest version (v3.2)...... Cardo will continue to release software updates for the G4 although it's a dated model
> Bought an updated base unit, which is actually for the G9x which the G4 is fully compatible with (as per link below)

http://www.motorcycle-tourer.co.uk/c...e-to-g9x-base/

> The new base unit comes with 2 plug in mic's (corded & boom), and also has plug in helmet speakers, or, as I shall be doing, plugging in my custom fit sound ears for the ultimate sound experience

I've fitted the new bits into a new lid (X-Lite X-551 GT) and the clamp fits snugly onto the helmet base, and I've opted to use the cabled mic (leads from the base unit sit nicely behind the helmet liner & cheek pad.

Happy days

Are the SMH10's waterproof.

Just been out in the wet ( and yes it pissed down) and it's dead :(

Are the SMH10's waterproof.

Just been out in the wet ( and yes it pissed down) and it's dead :(

Not in my experience.

A riding mate and I bought a pair a few years ago for a trip to Scotland. Needless to say it rained heavily and on the second day, mine packed up. I could literally shake water out of it. Next day, my mates packed up as well.

Took them back to the supplier and got a refund and we bought Scala G9s.

Nowhere in their advertising does it say the Sena is IP rated unlike the Scalas. Both of ours have remained working despite subsequent soakings. I did like the Sena's ease of operation but there no good if they pack up in heavy rain.

I've read that other people have had no problems though.

I must admit the packtalk on its DMC mode is a cut above the standard bluetooth - much clearer and longer range - just a pity you can mix modes :-(

I've had it since Nov 2015 so still within Warranty.

Think I'll contact FC.Moto to see if they'll replace it

Back
Top Bottom