Interphone, Scala, or Sena?

Nutty

Reaction score
For the third time, my Interphone F5MC twin pack has gone back to Interphone, as one packed up, one had a duff battery, and both replacements keep getting interference.

The shop will replace with another F5MC twin pack, however, they said I could swap to one of the other makes, as there are some newer models out now.

I mainly use the unit for bike to bike, and occasional music/ phone calls. Bluetooth is essential, and it has to connect to a Nav V and iPhone 6.

I've only ever had Interphone, so what are the others like? Any good? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Sena SMH 10 has been pretty good. They also allow you to update software as and when they add features etc...

FC Moto (Google it, they're in Germany) are well priced too...

That's a good point. I have a Neotec, and an Arai Tour X4.

Aha, the joys of multiple helmets. :D Then you may prefer an external unit like the SMH10 or SMH20, so that you can have the base mounting on both helmets and switch the main unit from one helmet to the other. The 10U is an internal unit ... and therefore not swap-able.

K

Got Scala G9x.
Sseems great so far but will find out on Alps trip in 2 weeks as all 5 of us have them and you can link 8 bikes.

I had a Scala G4. It was rubbish really, unreliable, complex and difficult to use. I sold it and bought a second hand Interphone 4 from here. Much better easier to use and so far reliable. I don't think I would buy Scala again. I have no experience of Sena though.

Thanks chaps. I'm reading reviews online (yep, living the dream :p), and the one that gets the best review is the bloody F5MC.:blast

In fairness, when it works, it is very good, but I'm put off by 3 failures in under a year.

Got a Sena SNH5. Been perfect so far with phone and GPS. Can't fault it.

Just been through this and got the Sena SMH10 with universal microphone option (Boom and cabled types) yesterday. I have had interphone - Okish, Cardo Scala G9 - (horrible), BMW in my EVO6 - very good, Shark in an Evoline - OK.

As of now the Sena looks like the winner. Be aware that you need Windows to update the firmware and Windows in a VM as I use on my Mac will not work - leaves the Sena somewhat fucked in the process.

I have the Sena SHM5, smaller and lighter than their other ones but works very well. Also the only real option if you want to use a PMR radio with it (with the SR10 Radio Adapter).

I have only ever had Scala's, the Q2, G4 and now the G9. Overall a very positive experience, no failures and the G9 links to my Samsung S3 and Zumo 660 perfectly every time. Battery life is good, you can upgrade software and alter settings on the PC, the radio works and I know pillion to pillion works well. Stereo from the Zumo is plenty loud enough. I haven't tried it bike to bike so don't know if the claimed 1 mile reach is true or not. Currently have one fitted to a Schuberth R1.

Just been through this and got the Sena SMH10 with universal microphone option (Boom and cabled types) yesterday. I have had interphone - Okish, Cardo Scala G9 - (horrible), BMW in my EVO6 - very good, Shark in an Evoline - OK.

As of now the Sena looks like the winner. Be aware that you need Windows to update the firmware and Windows in a VM as I use on my Mac will not work - leaves the Sena somewhat fucked in the process.

I'm running a Mac, so that's the Sena out then

I went for the Cardo Scala Rider Q3 Multi-Set. The chief reason I went for this one was because I can plug my custom SoundEars straight into the unit without having to modify it.

I got the Multi-Set because it wasn't much more expensive than a single unit at the time of purchase and then I could have one in use and one charging whilst riding. Or if I'm riding with a buddy in a group they could use the spare.

I like that it can connect to 2x bluetooth devices and and up to 4x intercom links (I've only ever connected to 1 other unit but have connected it to the Zumo 660 and my Iphone4). You can also connect an mp3 player up to it with a cable (never used it as I listen to audio via the Iphone or the Zumo).

It's good for up to about 1km but you might get more depending on terrain. I like that it has FM radio, which I use a fair bit and the Click-to-Link feature that allows you to connect with other units on the fly without prior pairing (although I've never used this feature).

It's firmware is upgradable and you can adjust various settings using the software like FM presets, VOX sensitivity, hot dial etc... another good thing is that they are compatible with a bunch of older Cardo units which have been very popular.

The speakers are loud, clear and crisp even with ear plugs and the same for the microphone. I really like the sleek design and the build quality so I would fully recommend it.

The only caution I'd say is to make sure that it's properly connected to the cradle with a firm 'click' before you ride away.

cardo-announces-scala-rider-q1-and-q3-intercoms-58797_1.jpg

The Scala stuff does look good, and Bouncer is very happy with his. I've noticed that there's a new one coming, called Packtalk, so may look at getting one of those.

The Scala stuff does look good, and Bouncer is very happy with his. I've noticed that there's a new one coming, called Packtalk, so may look at getting one of those.

Or failing that, the G9X does seem to get some great reviews. Does anyone know if it reconnects automatically, if it goes out of range, as the Interphone does, and it's a great feature?

Or failing that, the G9X does seem to get some great reviews. Does anyone know if it reconnects automatically, if it goes out of range, as the Interphone does, and it's a great feature?

Love my G9X so far but not used it much in anger.If you can wait till first week of August I could you get a G9X Powerset from Handtec for about £ 250.Then just split the pack with a mate or keep both of you intend taking da missus on the back and want to be nagged at.

Back
Top Bottom